Did I Get Hosed On My Air Tickets?

spoodles

I needed to buy 6 round trips for April. The lowest fares I found were on Delta, but there seemed to be a premuim for buying this many tickets. I've heard of quantity discounts, but quantity premium? Is this normal?

So anyway, it was cheaper to buy them in pairs. But after I bought the first pair, the price jumped way up. And it didn't matter at that point whether I went thru Delta.com, or Orbitz.com, etc. So I had no choice but to bite the bullet on the remaining 4 tickets. Has anyone else seen this happen?

I want to be happy, after all I'm going to Disney World, but it feels like I got screwed. :(

DisneyPhD

Let me tell you about my on line Spirt airline recent experince.

My hubby called home and said that the price had dropped to 89 each way and to book it for our trip in Febuary. So I got on line and started making the ressies. Well as soon as I changed the number of flying from 1 to 3 the price jumped to 159 each way. I was shocked and called Spirit. The very not helpful person on the phone said they price was based on avilable seats and there was nothing she could do.

I booked 2 at that 89 (it would let me do 2) and as soon as I did the price for 1 jumped to 159. So I hit the back button on the computer until I got to a page that it did say 89 and booked the last seat from there. I fooled the system and they had to give it to me because the prices are locked in for 15 min. My hubby was very impressed (he isn't normally impressed with my comptuer skills.)

Now we are considering taking my niece and need another ticket. The price currenlty is 104 each way. You don't book your seat assignments until 90 days before.

Call Deta and compain. If it doesn't work call back later and hopefully get another person who can help you.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

spoodles said:
I needed to buy 6 round trips for April. The lowest fares I found were on Delta, but there seemed to be a premuim for buying this many tickets. I've heard of quantity discounts, but quantity premium? Is this normal?

So anyway, it was cheaper to buy them in pairs. But after I bought the first pair, the price jumped way up. And it didn't matter at that point whether I went thru Delta.com, or Orbitz.com, etc. So I had no choice but to bite the bullet on the remaining 4 tickets. Has anyone else seen this happen?

I want to be happy, after all I'm going to Disney World, but it feels like I got screwed. :(
There are only a certain amount of seats available at the "super saver" rate.
If you exceeded that number, it will charge you full fare. If you manage, as it appears you did, to guess the number available it will sell you those at the lower price. apparently, there were only two left at that low price.
It happens all the time, this is not unique. Orbitz lures you in with the lower fares until you try to book them, then they pop up saying that the lower fare is gone.
Personally, I refuse to do business with Orbitz or Travelocity. Why do I need to pay them to find what I can do myself? I go directly to the online source, ie: Delta, SWA, etc.

Upvote 0

barnum42

I guess now is a good time to remind everyone of this classic gag:

** Buying paint from a hardware store **

Customer: Hi, how much is your interior flat latex paint in Bone White?

Clerk: We have a medium quality, which is $16 a gallan, and premium,
which is $22 a gallon. How many gallons would you like?

Customer: I'll take five gallons of the medium quality, please.

Clerk: That will be $80 plus tax.

==============================================
** Buying paint from an airline **

Customer: Hi, how much is your paint?

Clerk: Well, sir, that all depends.

Customer: Depends on what?

Clerk: Actually a lot of things.

Customer: How about giving me an average price?

Clerk: Wow, that's too hard a question. The lowest price is $9 a
gallon, and we have 150 different prices up to $200 a gallon.

Customer: What's the difference in the paint?

Clerk: Oh, there isn't any difference; it's all the same paint.

Customer: Well, then, I'd like some of that $9 paint.

Clerk: Well, first I need to ask you a few questions. W hen do you
intend to use it?

Customer: I want to paint tomorrow, on my day off.

Clerk: Sir, the paint for tomorrow is the $200 paint.

Customer: What? When would I have to paint in order to get the $9
version?

Clerk: That would be in three weeks, but you will also have to agree
to start painting before Friday of that week and continue painting
until at least Sunday.

Customer: You've got to be kidding!

Clerk: Sir, we don't kid around here. Of course, I'll have to check
to see if we have any of that paint available before I can sell it to
you.

Customer: What do you mean check to see if you can sell it to me? You
have shelves full of that stuff; I can see it right there.

Clerk: Just because you can see it doesn't mean that we have it. It
may be the same paint, but we sell only a certain number of gallons on
any given week. Oh, and by the way, the price just went to $12.

Customer: You mean the price went up while we were talking?

Clerk: Yes, sir. You see, we change prices and rules thousands of
times a day, and since you haven't actually walked out of the store
with your paint yet, we just decided to change. Unless you want the
same thing to happen again, I would suggest that you get on with your
purchase. How many gallons do you want?

Customer: I don't know exactly. Maybe five gallons. Maybe I should
buy six gallons just to make sure I have enough.

Clerk: Oh, no, sir, you can't do that. If you buy the paint and then
don't use it, you will be liable for penalties and possible
confiscation of the paint you already have.

Customer: What?

Clerk: That's right. We can sell you enough paint to do your
kitchen, bathroom, hall, and north bedroom, but if you stop painting
before you do the bedroom, you will violation of our tariffs.

Customer: But what does it mater to your whether I use all the paint?
I already paid for it!

Clerk: Sir, there's no point in getting upset; that's just the way it
is. We make plans upon the idea that you will use all the paint, and
when you don't, it just causes us all kinds of problems.

Customer: This is crazy! I suppose something terrible will happen if
I don't keep painting until after Saturday night!

Clerk: Yes, sir, it will.

Customer: Well, that does it! I'm going somewhere else to buy my
paint.

Clerk: That won't do you any good, sir. We all have the same rules.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Oh my God barnum42, that is just too funny!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(the sad part is it is soo true.)

I would give you reputation points, but aprently I have given you too many and it won't let me!!!!!

Upvote 0

spoodles

Original Poster
barnum42 your killing me, that is exactly what it's been like for me scouting air prices for the past few weeks.

Gail, given what you're saying about me using up the super saver seats, it doesn't seem that getting Delta on the phone will help.

Delta does offer a credit voucher if the fare drops, and I have seen fares drop as the date approaches if the flight's not sold out. I'm not sure if this will help me, but it seems worth keeping an eye on.

Thanks for the help everyone. :wave:

Upvote 0

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
for those airline prices, im going to hire someone to drive me to WDW. lol

but true, that is how it is............................. perfect analogy.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

spoodles said:
barnum42 your killing me, that is exactly what it's been like for me scouting air prices for the past few weeks.

Gail, given what you're saying about me using up the super saver seats, it doesn't seem that getting Delta on the phone will help.

Delta does offer a credit voucher if the fare drops, and I have seen fares drop as the date approaches if the flight's not sold out. I'm not sure if this will help me, but it seems worth keeping an eye on.

Thanks for the help everyone. :wave:
Yes, Delta does, indeed, issue vouchers, BUT, only if what you booked matches their new low airfare exactly. IE: If you bought airfare for 4/1/04 for a Y fare and all of a sudden that comes up for 4/1/04 at a reduced rate x fare, you will not get a credit/voucher.
They also consider that a change and will charge you a change fee.

Upvote 0

spoodles

Original Poster
The games they play are a riot. It's just like when choosing cellular service, or buying a car with a trade-in, the more numbers games they play, the more they're trying to rip you off. I'm convinced there is no other reason. The more complications they can come up with, the more money they can separate from people unwilling or unable to sort it all out.

Oh well, I'm over it. The WDW excitement is taking over and I'm worrying less about the cost of this little lesson. :)

Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0

barnum42

Unfortunately the public has to fight con-artists companies all the way to get any fair treatment - because the companies know that most people will give up fairly quickly and they get the money for nothing.

I won a battle with British Airways - my mother had booked a ticket to visit my sister in Boston, but when the flight time grew near, she discovered she would not be able to make the departure flight by a couple of days (for reasons I won't bore you with).

She asked British Airways if you could change the departure date by a couple of days. British Airways told her no. If she did not use the ticket she would lose it.

I then got on the phone, made my way past the general phone monkeys who are not allowed to use their brains or common sense - only to stick to the script - and managed to collar a member of high management. When I asked him to morally justify taking £350 from a pensioner and not letting her shift the departure by a couple of days he tried to fluster around it, but I kept asking him to morally justify it - I asked him if he would come around to Mother's house and look at her crying because she can't get out to see her daughter for the sake of changing the departure by two days. He could not. End result was she flew out two days later. :D

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

spoodles said:
The games they play are a riot. It's just like when choosing cellular service, or buying a car with a trade-in, the more numbers games they play, the more they're trying to rip you off. I'm convinced there is no other reason. The more complications they can come up with, the more money they can separate from people unwilling or unable to sort it all out.

Oh well, I'm over it. The WDW excitement is taking over and I'm worrying less about the cost of this little lesson. :)

Thanks for your input.
It really is not a game. It is, the way I look at it, a reward for planning and booking early. Now, cellular service is definitely a PITA.

Upvote 0
spoodles said:

We went last year in april on delta, and watched prices for a while, it seems that what delta does is every few days they seem to lower the price, until someone buys ticckets, then the prices go back up, and will go lower, then lower, then when someone buys tickets, it goies back up, and then will drop, and if no one buys, drops more, and so on until someone buys again

Upvote 0

mwc1996

We only fly Southwest. Their fares are ALWAYS the lowest here in Houston. The cheapest we found anywhere other than Southwest was 1950 round trip for 5 of us. With southwest it was 1332 for 5 of us.

Upvote 0

s25843

Does JetBlue fly out from an airport within any drivable distance from your house? If they do, I suggest that you take them. They are the easiest to deal with, and their planes are new, roomy, and the DirecTV is nice to have.
We always used American or Delta out of Boston, and now that JB is in town, we hardly use the "Legacy" carriers anymore.

Last month, the fares dropped $30 per person for our inbound flight to Lauderdale, I simply called up JB, and they gave me a $60 credit for my wife and I to use the next time we fly. So, when I booked the flights for our trip next month, the system easily applied the credit and we flew for dirt cheap.

Now, the big thing that kills me, is that, when I fly from Boston-Fort Lauderdale, JetBlue charges on Average $120-160 round trip per person (3 hour flight, 1200 miles), however when I fly on Delta from Fort Lauderdale-Orlando they charge $95 per person/RT (40 minute, 200 mile flight)

Airfares/Airlines are simply amazing

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

mwc1996 said:
We only fly Southwest. Their fares are ALWAYS the lowest here in Houston. The cheapest we found anywhere other than Southwest was 1950 round trip for 5 of us. With southwest it was 1332 for 5 of us.
ITA, I LOVE SWA. No hassle at all.

Upvote 0

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
mwc1996 said:

It also helps that Houston - Hobby is one of Southwests Hubs.

I try to fly whatever is cheapest, generally from Orlando to somewhere else on the east coast, it's either Airtran, Jetblue, or Song. To the west coast, it's Frontier or America West.

Ultimately, my loyalty goes to American, since they always seem to fly where I need to go to, on my schedule, with few stops (if any).

Upvote 0

spoodles

Original Poster
It really is not a game. It is, the way I look at it, a reward for planning and booking early.
A perfectly valid way to look at it, and easier on the blood pressure than mine, which is that the super saver fares aren't there out of the goodness of Delta's heart, but so they can advertise the low fares even though most seats cost more. I will certainly be looking at it your way next time when I book early enough to get everyone on the super saver fare. :)

Just like they advertise that they will give you the lower fare if it drops. Until you go to do it, then you have to meet conditions A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. Oh, and there's a fee.

I've checked out all the airlines, including Jet Blue, yes they fly out of my city, as do Air Tran and Independence Air. I was as surprised as anyone that Delta beat all the "low cost" carriers. I just wish I was aware of the limited super saver fares. Hindsight.

I really appreciate everyone's 2 cents. This is a great forum. :)

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

If you ever do on line buying again keep my back button idea in mind. They lock in rates for 15 min, so if you order from that page you are good. (many people could be looking at the same price around the country at the same time.) It worked for me.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom