DHS has a Star Wars problem.

Raineman

And to see people walking around in star wars garb is even more pathetic.

Yes, it's too much and it's irritating. But it will only get worse before it gets better.
Pathetic? Come on, seriously. I am not a fan of Harry Potter whatsoever, but I would never call anyone walking around Uni with their robes and wands "pathetic". Kinda harsh.

First world problems.
You could probably apply that to pretty much every post in here. Anger, sarcasm, personal attacks-these are things that should never warrant being used in a discussion about theme parks.

JIMINYCR

Star Wars isn’t anywhere close to strong enough to carry its own park.

I know this is Disney fandom and nobody wants to hear it...but the franchise has taken too many body blows at this point. We’ll see how it plays.
Thats why I said "or include it in a large section of a park". It still has enough draw that it warrants more room and had they not focused on a small section of the series they could have added much more to improve upon it. And it is strong enough for Disney to justify building a very costly, extravagant SW hotel. Had there been such a poor forecast of guests being drawn in, that project never would have seen the light of day.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thats why I said "or include it in a large section of a park". It still has enough draw that it warrants more room and had they not focused on a small section of the series they could have added much more to improve upon it. And it is strong enough for Disney to justify building a very costly, extravagant SW hotel. Had there been such a poor forecast of guests being drawn in, that project never would have seen the light of day.
Within an existing park...yes

But Star Wars fandom is likely retracting. The originals are salty and aging, the smaller prequel era are now adults, and the new generations are not being supplied with enough compelling content...and there is more competition of similar quality.

BoarderPhreak

...But Star Wars fandom is likely retracting. The originals are salty and aging, the smaller prequel era are now adults, and the new generations are not being supplied with enough compelling content...and there is more competition of similar quality.
Just as examples, look at some streaming shows - The Expanse and Lost in Space to name two. Or the TWO Star Trek shows currently running (Discovery and Picard). Not only are they competition, they're essentially "free" (that is to say, not movies) and offer 20+ hours per season vs. 2-3 hours for a movie. Then there's the writing, production value, fanbase, yada yada yada. I'd go so far as to say that all four of these shows are better than the past three Star Wars movies (though real 'Trek fans will of course disavow the latter two). Heck, The Expanse is probably the best SciFi we've seen in a very long time and certainly the best current offering.

Call me a salty old dog, or a jaded "fan" but the after the original trilogy, the franchise jumped off a steep cliff if you ask me. The prequels at least had Lucas' fingers in the cookie jar so they had that going for them - but the sequels? Good lawd. No amount of "new blood" or merchandising will make up for what has been passed off as Star Wars in the last twenty years. And just to prove I'm not anti-SW, you can toss all the reboot Star Trek movies out as well. While I'm not impressed with Discovery or Picard, at least they're fresh and current. So I'm willing to overlook their questionable Trekworthiness. This isn't franchise fatigue - it's a complete collapse.

FettFan

Original Poster
Just as examples, look at some streaming shows - The Expanse and Lost in Space to name two. Or the TWO Star Trek shows currently running (Discovery and Picard). Not only are they competition, they're essentially "free" (that is to say, not movies) and offer 20+ hours per season vs. 2-3 hours for a movie. Then there's the writing, production value, fanbase, yada yada yada. I'd go so far as to say that all four of these shows are better than the past three Star Wars movies (though real 'Trek fans will of course disavow the latter two). Heck, The Expanse is probably the best SciFi we've seen in a very long time and certainly the best current offering.

Call me a salty old dog, or a jaded "fan" but the after the original trilogy, the franchise jumped off a steep cliff if you ask me. The prequels at least had Lucas' fingers in the cookie jar so they had that going for them - but the sequels? Good lawd. No amount of "new blood" or merchandising will make up for what has been passed off as Star Wars in the last twenty years. And just to prove I'm not anti-SW, you can toss all the reboot Star Trek movies out as well. While I'm not impressed with Discovery or Picard, at least they're fresh and current. So I'm willing to overlook their questionable Trekworthiness.

we still have the Ewoks movies.
With Wilford Brimley and the diabeetus Speed racer Ewok

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ewoks? Just... No. Then again, look how popular baby Yoda is. 🤷‍♂️

I haven't watched The Mandalorian, so maybe that's redeeming.
Mandolorian is good...not incredible depth of story, but the right balance of story and character sequences

The problem for me is that this latest p!ss poor attempt at rebooting also RELABELED everything in the interests of reselling what is essentially the same product.

If anyone would like to explain “first order” and “resistance” that doesn’t involve 600 pages of outsourced fan fiction novels...I’m all ears.

But use small words...because like 90% of consumers...I’m stupid and need short words

disney4life2008

Pathetic? Come on, seriously. I am not a fan of Harry Potter whatsoever, but I would never call anyone walking around Uni with their robes and wands "pathetic". Kinda harsh.

You could probably apply that to pretty much every post in here. Anger, sarcasm, personal attacks-these are things that should never warrant being used in a discussion about theme parks.

Actually I was referring to star wars. That is pathetic. Harry Potter is at least tasteful. But at Disney these people look ridiculous.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The park is now packed because of Star Wars. There ain't no reason to reduce any SW presence. That there are people showing up dressed in a SW fashion is a sign of success. It'll take a year or two for all the regular SW fans to visit the park and get it out of their system. Then, they can go through all the SW offerings and get rid of the ones that don't spark joy.

And where are all the "don't replace... add!" people? Before they take away any SW thing and its building sits for two or three years while it's replacement is built, you should be advocating for more of that back stage and unused expansion pads to be utilized first!

Also, DHS isn't about all the movies. It's about movies from studios that Disney owns... now.

Disney Hollywood Studios.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The park is now packed because of Star Wars. There ain't no reason to reduce any SW presence. That there are people showing up dressed in a SW fashion is a sign of success. It'll take a year or two for all the regular SW fans to visit the park and get it out of their system. Then, they can go through all the SW offerings and get rid of the ones that don't spark joy.

And where are all the "don't replace... add!" people? Before they take away any SW thing and its building sits for two or three years while it's replacement is built, you should be advocating for more of that back stage and unused expansion pads to be utilized first!

Also, DHS isn't about all the movies. It's about movies from studios that Disney owns... now.

Disney Hollywood Studios.
See below
I thought Martin said the attendance wasn’t up significantly?
It’s not...there is a redistribution of crowds of the same general total when a new headline opens...avatar “added” 2,000,000 to DAK...except it didn’t as attendance actually declined some quarters in the 3 years since it opened and is only up a small percentage as a whole since. Crowd cannibalization.

There a “pro-disney” contention that Disney has handled Star Wars well...the studio management, the film choices, the controversies, and the parks.

That is highly debatable. And I believe the above matter of fact statement will lead us to that place that NONE of us need to go to.

The idea that diehard, dedicated star wars fans will “get around to it” is quite amusing, however. Somebody must have been on a Soviet space station during the 80’s and 90’s completely missed the phenomenon. 😂

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was there the first week of February. I have never seen such crowds at DHS, and I'm not just talking the morning lottery crowd. Wait times are up all day long at all rides.
February is now an incredibly busy month...it has grown steadily these last five years or so

Remember they have shorter hours typically property wide and reduced staffing as well

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom