DHS dinner choice: Sci-Fi or Fantasmic restaurant choices

kjbean

Original Poster
I'm wondering which our family would rather do for dinner at DHS. Our boys (9 & 5) would probably enjoy eating at the Sci-Fi Dine-in for the experience and the menu choices more than Hollywood & Vine, Mama Melrose's and Hollywood Brown Derby. But given the choices for the restaurants that participate with the Fantasmic! Experience, would it be more worth it to eat at one of those restaurants? I've been to DHS when it was MGM, and have never done the Fantasmic! before so I'm not sure which would be the best way to experience it - with regular seats or packaged with dinner.

MaryJaneP

Did the Fantasmic experience in 2001 and Sci-Fi virtually every trip since. Have to say with seating at a premium at Fantasmic, it helps having reserved seats. Without reserved, we have had to do the cattle call lineup and missed a few Fantasmic shows due to no room in the other years. With all that said, however, I think the kids really enjoyed the Sci-Fi, heck, I did too. But maybe you can swing Sci-Fi for lunch and order less there and at Dinner at a Fantasmic Experience supper. Win-win

real mad hatter

Good Choice with Kids.

Well I'd do the Sci Fi as the kids would enjoy it better.Have done both and enjoyed both but I wasn't over impressed with HBD. For the money I was expecting that gastronomic touch and it just wasn't there.But the reserved seats were great.Enjoy the experience.:wave:

Philhar-Fanatic

We've nevver done the actual Fantasmic package, but we have eaten at Sci-Fi and Momma Melrose. Sci-Fi is a fun atmosphere and we love that. With that being said, if you go this route give yourself plenty of time. The service over the last several years has been SLOW! Also know that your choices here are going to be pretty basic. They do a great bacon, mushroom, and onion cheese burger which we've ordered every time. I can also highly recommend the space monkey!! Momma Melrose on the other hand was DELICIOUS! All of us including DD 8 and DS 9 loved our food. Service here was also a little slow.

JillC LI

Unless you're going at peak time and are concerned about having to wait over an hour to get a seat at Fantasmic, you don't need to do the package. Even with the package you have to get there a half hour early, I believe.

That said, our family of 4 really loved the Brown Derby for a special , delicious meal using 2 credits on the meal plan (cobb salad, rib-eye steak, and grapefruit cake - yum!), but we also had a blast at Sci Fi Dine In for a relaxed, casual atmosphere with more casual food (we went for lunch).

Captain Chaos

Sci-Fi... There really is no need for reserved seating in Fantasmic... there is no reason why you couldn't get a seat...

I wasn't impressed with Momma Melrose... I ate at Brown Derby for the Imagineer lunch and wasn't impressed... Food wasn't horrible, but I don't think it was anything special... And I cannot comment on Hollywood and Vine because it's been YEARS since I ate there... I am sure the place has changed...

docdebbi

what we usually do is book a fantasmic package- we prefer HBD, but any is ok, and then make reservations at sci-fi for a time far removed from our meal and get ice cream sundaes.
if our package time is early, we go to sci-fi for early evening snack/ice cream. if our package time is later- say 3:30-4:00 PM, we go at lunch time for ice cream only (so we're not too full for HBD), or after the fantasmic show, they are sometimes still open. I don't believe in comprise, I want my cake and eat it too!

ThinkTink721

We have done Hollywood & Vine w/ the FP several times - it is pretty good.
However we prefer the food & atmosphere at Sci-Fi.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom