DHS CARS LAND

cheezbat

Timeline update. Whether it's Cars Land or Star Wars attractions, any significant additions to Hollywood Studios at WDW will start major construction after Avatar opens at Animal Kingdom. Source: Imagineer.
Major construction should be started yesterday. This park is just hanging on by a tower and a toy right now.(Tower of Terror and Toy Story Mania)

doctornick

That jives with the 2020/2021 timetable.

It also makes me rather angry that management is dragging its feet.

But that timetable is for Star Wars. Are you suggesting that they are also going to wait to start to build any Pixar additions until 2017? I'd be very surprised if that's the case given the state of DHS and if the insiders here are correct that it's real attendance and merch/food sales have been doing poorly in recent years.

I still expect some sort of Toy Story playland to open in 2016-2017 and some Cars stuff in maybe the 2018-19 timeframe at lease.

PhotoDave219

But that timetable is for Star Wars. Are you suggesting that they are also going to wait to start to build any Pixar additions until 2017? I'd be very surprised if that's the case given the state of DHS and if the insiders here are correct that it's real attendance and merch/food sales have been doing poorly in recent years.

I still expect some sort of Toy Story playland to open in 2016-2017 and some Cars stuff in maybe the 2018-19 timeframe at lease.

We haven't even gotten TSPL confirmed yet. It's still idle internet gossip. And yes, I was referring to SW timeline.

Either way, there's no darn excuse as to why they're taking their time.

(And at the risk of drifting across threads, they're spending Billions in China but diddly in Florida.)

doctornick

We haven't even gotten TSPL confirmed yet. It's still idle internet gossip. And yes, I was referring to SW timeline.

Either way, there's no darn excuse as to why they're taking their time.

As much as I want to see WDW add more Star Wars content sooner rather than later, I'm fine with that being delayed as long as something substantial gets built in DHS in the meantime. I'd expect that Pixar stuff is the most likely addition to that park in the 2017-19 timeframe which would be fine as long as it happens.

The quote above suggests that they won't even start on any Pixar construction until 2017, which is frightening if true. The park needs stuff now.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
As much as I want to see WDW add more Star Wars content sooner rather than later, I'm fine with that being delayed as long as something substantial gets built in DHS in the meantime. I'd expect that Pixar stuff is the most likely addition to that park in the 2017-19 timeframe which would be fine as long as it happens.

The quote above suggests that they won't even start on any Pixar construction until 2017, which is frightening if true. The park needs stuff now.

Shuttering attractions with no replacements isn't new... Shuttering something for over a decade isn't new at WDW... An example, you ask.... 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea....Skyway... It's really not surprising to see that happen at DHS...

I'll say it again in this thread... The next sign post for an announcement about DHS build out would be D23 Expo... I don't expect anything until then. It wouldn't surprise me if little is announced at the Expo (Play Land Carnival rides)... Then the next sign post would be when the Star Wars movie released...that of course would be Star Wars though.... I'd say the quote is reasonably accurate...

*1023*

doctornick

Shuttering attractions with no replacements isn't new... Shuttering something for over a decade isn't new at WDW... An example, you ask.... 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea....Skyway... It's really not surprising to see that happen at DHS...
*1023*

Scattered things here and there is one thing, but DHS has lost Sounds Dangerous, American Idol, Jack Sparrow, Backlot Tour and their parades in recent years. They've added the Frozen Sing-a-long. I think they've hit the tipping point where attendance and revenues can fall significantly just because there isn't "enough to do" in the park.

It's easy to be cynical with how Disney is running WDW, but I really find it hard to believe that they won't even start to build something new for DHS until 2017 given the park's present state in terms of attractions.

Anyway, I'm still a little confused by the source for the info by @WDWtraveler -- is he saying that he heard that directly from an Imagineer or is he quoting another site? I suppose that it depends on what is meant by "significant additions" because perhaps that means that Toy Story Playland would be built in the interim.

xstech25

Are you seriously comparing the City Walk project to the Disney Springs project? I was just at City Walk 2 days ago and Downtown Disney today: City Walk is a few new shops and restaurants while literally the whole area around DTD was ripped to pieces. Cranes everywhere, new roads being built, new bridges going up, new parking garages being built, etc. Last time I came I thought there couldn't possibly be anymore construction next time but it has picked up bigtime

Disney isn't stupid they know how to spread out their money. Why add 2 massively expensive new areas themed to movies at the exact same time? Get a big attendance boost from one, then open the other one a couple years later. You didn't see Universal open both Harry Potter areas at the same time.

Sped2424

Are you seriously comparing the City Walk project to the Disney Springs project? I was just at City Walk 2 days ago and Downtown Disney today: City Walk is a few new shops and restaurants while literally the whole area around DTD was ripped to pieces. Cranes everywhere, new roads being built, new bridges going up, new parking garages being built, etc. Last time I came I thought there couldn't possibly be anymore construction next time but it has picked up bigtime

Disney isn't stupid they know how to spread out their money. Why add 2 massively expensive new areas themed to movies at the exact same time? Get a big attendance boost from one, then open the other one a couple years later. You didn't see Universal open both Harry Potter areas at the same time.
Except uni was building a new hotel (cabana bay), Diagon alley, hogwarts express, and the citywalk redo all at once. There is nothing stopping Disney from starting at least part of the DHS makeover now expect pure greediness. No need to defend that. Things don't need to open in the same year but look at uni. Transformers 2013, Diagon 2014, Kong 2015/16, Nintendo ? , Marvel expansion? And this is excluding city walk upgrade so lets exclude disney springs. Meanwhile we have Frozen ride/layover 2015/16, 2017 Avatar land, 2018 nothing, 2019 nothing, 2020 POSSIBLY star wars 2021 possibly dhs redo. There is no reason to have all of this not open in 2018.

Mike S

Except uni was building a new hotel (cabana bay), Diagon alley, hogwarts express, and the citywalk redo all at once. There is nothing stopping Disney from starting at least part of the DHS makeover now expect pure greediness. No need to defend that. Things don't need to open in the same year but look at uni. Transformers 2013, Diagon 2014, Kong 2015/16, Nintendo ? , Marvel expansion? And this is excluding city walk upgrade so lets exclude disney springs. Meanwhile we have Frozen ride/layover 2015/16, 2017 Avatar land, 2018 nothing, 2019 nothing, 2020 POSSIBLY star wars 2021 possibly dhs redo. There is no reason to have all of this not open in 2018.
Fast & Furious too. And a whole Water Park. And yet another hotel.

xstech25

There is nothing stopping Disney from starting at least part of the DHS makeover now expect pure greediness.
It's called strategic planning: you don't just play with projects that cost hundreds of millions of dollars because you want to be cool, you do it with a goal in mind.

Universal will never make anything else that will draw like Harry Potter. Right now they are spending huge amounts of money because they made so much from Potter, which is great for them and it's probably what they should be doing, but they are doing what Disney did in the mid 80s-90s and bringing the resort up to what its potential is now that they finally have the money to do it. Kong, Fast & Furious, Waterpark, no matter what they build they will not see After the next few years Universal is going to plateau and stop all the big projects.

Last edited:

xstech25

And i'm not trying to defend Disney in any way i'm just stating the facts. Universal will never be Disney no matter how much you try to convince people otherwise. I remember back in 2000 when IOA and City Walk were built Universals advertising campaign even tried to suggest that Disney World was stale and Universal was where its at.

Here we are in 2015: post IOA, post Harry Potter, post Diagon Alley, and Universal Studios / IOA pull maybe 25,000 each on a very busy day. Meanwhile DHS with nothing new in a long time gets 25,000 ALL THE TIME, and Magic Kingdom gets over 50,000 ALL THE TIME. Even with all the stuff Universal has been adding Disney pulverizes Universal. Now add Avatar & Star Wars in the mix by 2020. You need to face some facts dude, people like Disney better no matter how much you try to justify to yourself the other way around.

Mike S

It's called strategic planning: you don't just play with projects that cost hundreds of millions of dollars because you want to be cool, you do it with a goal in mind.

Universal will never make anything else that will draw like Harry Potter. Right now they are spending huge amounts of money because they made so much from Potter, which is great for them and it's probably what they should be doing, but they are doing what Disney did in the mid 80s-90s and bringing the resort up to what its potential is now that they finally have the money to do it. Kong, Fast & Furious, Waterpark, no matter what they build they will not see After the next few years Universal is going to plateau and stop all the big projects.
Ok, for the sake of this argument let's say Disney does have the right strategy. Where does allowing maintenence to go down the tubes for a number of attractions fit into this oh so wise plan, hm?
And i'm not trying to defend Disney in any way i'm just stating the facts. Universal will never be Disney no matter how much you try to convince people otherwise. I remember back in 2000 when IOA and City Walk were built Universals advertising campaign even tried to suggest that Disney World was stale and Universal was where its at.

Here we are in 2015: post IOA, post Harry Potter, post Diagon Alley, and Universal Studios / IOA pull maybe 25,000 each on a very busy day. Meanwhile DHS with nothing new in a long time gets 25,000 ALL THE TIME, and Magic Kingdom gets over 50,000 ALL THE TIME. Even with all the stuff Universal has been adding Disney pulverizes Universal. Now add Avatar & Star Wars in the mix by 2020. You need to face some facts dude, people like Disney better no matter how much you try to justify to yourself the other way around.
This is about Disney's incredibly slow pace with adding new attractions, especially in the parks that really need them. No one ever said Universal would out draw Disney.

Last edited:

xstech25

I can't give any numerical details because my friend would kill me, but i'll just say that they are expecting a massive attendance increase at DHS 4 or so years from now. When the executives saw how big the projected numbers are they greenlit the new track on Toy Story Mania and other major infrastructure projects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom