Destino????

nfeagle5

Original Poster
Can somebody explain to me what this is. Icought the tail end of it on the news and only heard that Disney had just completed it.

disneytati

nfeagle5 said:
Can somebody explain to me what this is. Icought the tail end of it on the news and only heard that Disney had just completed it.

It means "destiny", either in Portuguese or Spanish... or "fate"...

tampabrad

The basic story of the 6 minute film is about a ballarena and a baseball player falling in love. The Dali Museum in St Petersburg, FL is showing it as part of Dali in Mass Media Exhibit which runs until January.

aimster

tampabrad said:
The basic story of the 6 minute film is about a ballarena and a baseball player falling in love. The Dali Museum in St Petersburg, FL is showing it as part of Dali in Mass Media Exhibit which runs until January.
I might have to go to St Pete and see that. I've been to the Dali museum once before. Pretty cool place. I wish I could find a poster print of the flying cats piece. That one is just brilliant.

WDWScottieBoy

I would love to see this movie. My father is a huge Dali fan and has a couple signed originals if I'm not mistaken. At least I think one of them is. He has several signed individually numbered Dali paintings and I love them. I can't wait to have these paintings go on my wall. I've always been intrigued by images I've seen that Walt and Salvador worked on together. Now it's done and I'm going to see it....just need to get to St. Pete.

ZHoyt

Not sure what this nonsense about being 'finished' is. This film has been completed for some time. It was nominated for best animated short this year at the academy awards but sadly lost. It is quite interesting, the most important thing it does in my mind is to move lengths in connecting commercial art with high art. Connecting Dali with Disney raises Disney's prestige and goes a ways toward legitamizing Disney animation as high art. Maybe this boost in credibility isn't needed, or maybe art critics already recognize Disney as the genius he was. I wouldn't know because I am completely out of the loop re: the art world. I just go from my experience with film critics (meaning academics, not reviewers such as Ebert) who have traditionally paid very little attention to animated films in contrast to that of live action films.

Silentoffy

Destino on DVD

Does anyone have any information about Destino coming to DVD? I just saw this at the Dali exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. I would hope that it isn't getting delayed due to the feud between Eisner and Roy Disney, but every release date that I've read in articles about the DVD have come and gone and there's no information about the release to be found.

MissM

I saw it in January at the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg (a great place I might add). It was really very cool.

Ever thing I see about a dvd release is rumor, though one seems likely eventually. It'd be silly to not put it out - the line to see it was out the door and they were showing it every 15 minutes!

Some articles about it in general for those curious:
http://www.animationartconservation.com/destiny_of_dali_destino.html
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1462300
http://mag.awn.com/index.php?article_no=1761&page=1 (interview with Roy Disney)

I've been keeping my eyes out for dvd info and release, but so far, nada. I would love to get it though because it's the kind of thing you need to see multiple times.
-m

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom