Destination: Dollywood (And a Ton of Other Stuff)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Bailed on Goats after hearing it'd be another hour wait at least. Took a quick Uber over to the Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster as the first credit of the trip. Definitely love the mountain coaster genre. Great combination of a serene lift hill and a white knuckle on the way down. Definitely a solid if overdue first ride of the trip
20211006_115504.jpg
20211006_115524.jpg
Currently Ubering to The Island for lunch and to do SkyFly and hopefully the spinning parrot coaster. After that, the Jurassic Jungle awaits.

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Arrived at The Island and it's a lot nicer than I was expecting. Had lunch at a hippie themed pizza place and did the Moonshine tasting, mirror maze, ferris wheel, SkyFly, and Jurassic Jungle.

But MAAAN have these past couple hours been a living hell. The parrot coaster was the ONLY ride closed at The Island so my credits quest is basically botched now. We wasted a half hour in front of Jurassic Jungle to try and call an Uber with no luck, then another half hour waiting for a bus before getting fed up with waiting and calling Lyft which is apparently much more reliable than Uber around these parts. Of course the bus pulls up at the EXACT same time as the Lyft.

To make matters like...ten times worse, now our room key straight up doesn't work and I'm stranded outside while grandma walks like HALF A MILE to the office. We have another Lyft scheduled in an hour to take us to the Comedy Barn and I'm probably not even going to have time to unwind at all.

The Alpine Coaster and the attractions we actually managed to hit were great, but I'm literally about ready to cry from the Murphy's Law of it all. No idea what I'm going to do about the 100th credit situation at this point. Everything just freaking sucks right now.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Day two is underway and we'll be at Dollywood in the next 45 minutes. Last night's show at the Comedy Barn was absolutely delightful. Genuinely some of the best crowd engagement I've seen in any live performance, concerts included. Definitely a show where the sides of your mouth get sore from laughing. A really solid end to a rocky first day.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Dollywood absolutely lives up to the hype. In a lot of ways it feels like a Disney level park as far as atmosphere goes. It's simply a sensory overload of sights and sounds everywhere you walk. I'll post more pics once I'm home but suffice to say the attention to detail is spot on. Here's my opinion on the major attractions I did. Only coaster credit I didn't get was Dragonflier.

@D Hulk I decided to just forgoe the headache of trying to pad my credit count and just go for #100 at King's Island next year. Thinking The Beast would be a great contender to take that honor.

Firechaser Express - A very solid family coaster with some really great surrounding theme. The forces on this thing are more mild than I was expecting but that definitely makes it a super accessible family ride.

Mystery Mine - I truly love this thing. The exterior really gives me Tower of Terror vibes the way it looms over the surrounding area. The dark ride sections are great and I adore how it uses the vertical lifts as "act breaks" if you will. The coaster sections live up to the rough reputation and I was definitely grateful for the recent re tracking. The final inversions were surprisingly graceful though.

Wild Eagle - I think this thing is super under rated in the enthusiast community. All I ever hear about it is "least favorite wing coaster" and I honestly feel there's a bit of a hipster snob element with the ride being a huge hit with locals. I was personally blown away and it's now my third favorite B&M after Mako and Tatsu. The "flying" element is so well executed and the setting absolutely makes it. One of THE best front row experiences I've ever had and cresting the lift hill was an all time WOW coaster moment.

Tennessee Tornado - I only got one middle row ride. It's the one coaster that was on single train ops so marathoning isn't as easy as I thought. Can't really form a proper opinion on it yet but it's definitely one of the night rides I'm most looking forward to.

Blazing Fury - This feels SO much like a Knotts ride it's kind of crazy. It even SMELLS like Calico. The AAs are very old school so it feels like a throwback to before Knotts updated Calico and the log ride. A nice lengthy dark ride that rounds out the lineup really well.

Thunderhead - A big surprise. Genuinely the best GCI I've done and with Lightning Rod closed it's the park's airtime machine.

Also did my first rotodrop drop Tower which is SIGNIFICANTLY more intense than S&S towers. The pic yesterday was from the train which is a super scenic ride around the MASSIVE outskirts of the park but the hellish leg room absolutely makes it a one and done. Also going to give a shout out to the Dolly Parton Chasing Rainbows museum which is ABSOLUTELY good enough to be a stand alone attraction apart from the park and will be our go to "get off our feet/out of the heat" spot moving forward.

D Hulk

I’m extremely happy for you, Tiki! Sounds like you had the perfect tank salve for your trip. Dollywood sounds incredible 😮! Perfectly suited to your theme park tastes. And from your descriptions, sounds like an extremely well-rounded coaster lineup. Continue to enjoy your time there.

The Beast is a very solid pick for #100; there are few coasters more legendary. There are of course Kings Island coasters that are considered better now, such as Mystic Timbers (a common contender for best GCI), but Beast is an elder coaster statesman who demands our respect.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Day two at Dollywood was simply on another level. It legitimately brought about the same level of excitement that my first Disneyland trip gave me back in the day. In fact with the spontaneous entertainment, heavy emphasis on old school Americanna, and treasure trove of tiny details, my mantra for the day was "this is how Disneyland USED to feel."

One thing I really love about the park are the visual motifs. Butterflies are essentially the hidden Mickeys of the park and are a wonderful symbol. Other motifs include firefighters, eagles, and mining. So basically all the major coaster themes extend throughout the whole damn park in an unbelievably cohesive and unified way. It felt like I was CONSTANTLY discovering new layers to the story the park was telling.

Night rides...forget about it. Pure freaking bliss. I really can't even begin to describe how on another level these coasters are at night. Tennessee Tornado lived up to my night ride expectations and then some. The park has an incredible top five for me with Wild Eagle, Mystery Mine, Tornado, Blazing Fury, and Thunderhead. That's not even freaking counting Lightning Rod or the rock solid Firechaser. I can't even imagine how incredible this lineup would be WITH Lighning Rod.

Wildwood Grove was fantastic to walk through at night, though I imagine with the concrete and lack of shade it can get miserable in the day. I absolutely think a dark ride for this area should be a top priority for the park in the future and would send the attraction lineup even more over the edge. Not sure I'll actually get on Dragonflier. It's on one train ops and even with a time-saver pass the line looked pretty miserable and not worth it especially with so many other amazing coasters to use those coveted night rides for. I actually didn't grab a Night ride for Thunderhead so that's definitely still something to look forward to.

Overall, to say this park has smashed my expectations is an understatement. Last night truly felt like a MILESTONE theme park say for me. One for the record books. The park has just sunk into my heart on so many levels and I'm simply exhilarated to keep peeling back even more layers to it over the next few days.

Today will either be our Gatlinburg day or a solo Dollywood day for me depending on how my grandma's feeling. I'm honestly really hoping for the latter as exploring the park free form without another person is something I'm itching to do

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Well, Gatlinburg was a bit of a bust. The pinball museum was closed, Anakeesta and Skylift Park were both stupidly packed, and the two Haunt attraction straight up lied about their opening times on Google. Earthquake was the only Must Do we actually managed to do and that was as gloriously cheesy as I was hoping it would be.

The Space Needle offered a fantastic view but literally NOTHING else so we felt ripped off at 20$ a pop to go up there. Ripleys Aquarium was very good and had the best shark tunnel I've ever seen. Doesn't hold a candle to Monterey Bay though. My aquarium experiences peaked as a toddler apparently haha.

The highlight was definitely the Stars and Cars museum which was surprisingly well done and had a good number of geek out worthy vehicles. See my channel for a vlog tour of it.

Tonight's plan is to take it easy and go our for low key dinner and drinks at The Island, possibly checking out some live entertainment and doing a second SkyFly ride. Tomorrow will be Dolly's Stampede in the afternoon and Dollywood at night, followed by two more full Dollywood days on Monday and Tuesday to round out the trip.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Not gonna beat around the bush on this one. Outside of Friday night the trip was a bit of a disaster. It was honestly a tonal whiplash because I still stand by Friday being one of the ALL TIME GREAT theme park evenings I've ever had. After that, it all pretty much went down hill. I already described Gatlinburg on Saturday, so let's go day by day from then.

Sunday - We decided to do Dolly's Stampede this day which was honestly a pretty major mistake. I started the day doing the trampoline park since it's something I've never done and it was right down the street from the hotel. Problems started coming up via trying to get my grandma to Stampede which was just far enough for her to have trouble walking to it from the hotel but just short enough to not make it worth the while for an Uber/Lyft pickup. This was pretty much a problem for ANYTHING on the main Pigeon Forge parkway and is why I couldn't get around to stuff like Professor Hacker's in spite of it being pretty much within walking distance for me personally. If I was traveling alone I'd happily just walk the three mile parkway, but having my grandma with me made it a completely different story.

Dolly's Stampede was a bit of a mess. DEFINITELY the most paranoid I was the whole trip re: Covid, relatively unorganized seating, Google advertising a pre-show and there not being one, the food besides the AWESOME vegetable soup being subpar at best. The stunt performers at the show were impressive, but the rest definitely didn't measure up to the epic rockwork backdrop of the theater. After that I did some solo time at Dollywood but the crowds were super intense so I only got one ride on Blazing Fury, Mystery Mine, and Thunderhead a piece. I did discover Thunderhead has EXCELLENT night-rides though, so that was a plus.

Monday - Oh the joys of booking a trip for Columbus Day without realizing it. I made this mistake with Magic Mountain a decade ago, and here we go again. Park was PACKED. Grandma REFUSED to go to the park anywhere close to rope-drop. @D Hulk knows this story, but I had straight up the worst luck I've ever had at a park with both Tennessee Tornado and Mystery Mine breaking down RIGHT when I got to the gates after an hour wait back to back. So yea, that wasted a TON of time!! It was double stressful since I knew it was the last day. Managed to get solid final rides on Blazing Fury (hands down my favorite attraction in the park), Firechaser (after a 90 minute wait), Tenessee Tornado x2 (OF COURSE the line died down to nothing AFTER I waited an hour for it earlier in the day...Oh and thanks Dollywood for putting a second train on literal hours before the end of my time there haha) and Thunderhead (surprisingly weaker towards the back than towards the front as far as air-time went). By this point my grandma WOULD. NOT. SHUT. UP about how paranoid she was with getting a Lyft back even though the entire time I'd been able to get Lyfts to and from the park no problem and couldn't get it through her head that shorter rides were the issue we were having. So yea, sacrificed almost a solid HOUR of night rides just so the two of us wouldn't get in a huge fight over it. That was definitely a low point and I was pretty much DONE with the trip after that.

Tuesday - Gatlinburg probably won't be as crowded on Tuesday than on Saturday right, RIGHT?!?!?! Well...yes and no. The place was still an ABSOLUTE ZOO and I have zero motivation to ever go back. We managed to find a hole in the wall cafe with the best Frito pie I've ever had so that was a plus after a whole trip's worth of waiting in long lines to join long waitlists for dining. I bought tickets for Anakeesta and people...this was the SINGLE WORST RUN LINE I'VE EVER SEEN FOR ANYTHING. We get there and there's a METRIC TON OF SWITCHBACKS. People are CONSTANTLY going in and out of the line which drives my OCD and anxiety up the wall. After an hour in the line we realize it was only for wristbands and after we got wristbands we'd have to wait an additional hour plus for the chairlift and god knows how long for the chairlift back down. We then decided to straight up bail and call the money spent on it a wash. MY GOD there's got to be a better way to do this. There was NOBODY directing the lines, no clear signs, the woman at the ticket booth pretty much snapped at me that I had to go to the back of the wristband line. Terrible, TERRIBLE operations. I really couldn't believe how bad it was considering how hyped up and award winning this park is.

So after bailing on that, we went for one of my must dos that I didn't get around to on Saturday. Ripley's Haunted Adventure. Uggghhh. ty opperations strikes again. Hey geniuses, were in the middle of a PANDEMIC. Maybe, oh I don't know, MAYBE figure out a way to run your ****ing maze WITHOUT the need to have a conga line of ten people FORCED to hold on to each others shoulders as they walked through. I was trying to kind of half tap the guy in front of me and sure enough the first (and one of the only) scare actors pretty much yelled at me "IF YOU DON'T TOUCH THE PERSON IN FRONT OF YOU YOU'RE GONNA GET KICKED OUT!!!". Meanwhile I've got my poor grandma in back of me struggling to keep up so after that fun little encounter I spent the ENTIRE time being afraid of getting kicked out for struggling to keep up with the group and being TERRIFIED that my grandma was going to fall and break her neck on one of the funhouse moving floors.

I really CURSE the dude at Hollywood Stars and Cars who convinced her to do it with me when I was already in line to do it solo. That was honestly pretty RECKLESS to sent a woman her age into that freaking thing with uneven floors and a demand to keep up with the group. Seriously the WORST thing we did the whole trip. Barely any actors except the one who yelled at us, it was mostly dark hallways and cheap funhouse stuff to throw you off balance. Even the often-praised final jump scare was COMPLETELY ruined for me by a jackass in the elevator straight up PROJECTING when it would happen to their friends. MISERABLE experience all around. I straight up skipped Mysterious Manor because of that (mostly out of fear that the shoulder-touching factor would be in play. I CAN'T STAND having to physically touch strangers even outside of a pandemic.

Ended the day out with a trip up to Skylift Park which was the ONE positive thing of the day besides lunch. Really loved the skylift itself and the bridge was easily the most intense thing I did the whole trip by a country mile. Things continued to go wrong yesterday and ended up being one of the most stressful return flights I've ever had. I will take a crying baby ANY DAY over an entitled toddler who's SCREAMING at his mother for the ENTIRE. FIVE. HOURS. Oh my god, this kid threw a fit over every little thing and even over my nice padded headphones I could here him the...whole...time. At a certain point the brat throws his mom's phone on the ground and the mother without ANY sort of consent gets right in our face and shines a flashlight in our row trying to find it. Oh yea, and someone straight up VOMITED a couple rows behind us. FUN!!! As one last layer of suck, the cab driver bringing us back to Petaluma nearly got a fit of roadrage when he missed the exit and had to loop back around the airport.

Sweet baby Jesus. I'm done with travel for a while. @D Hulk the trip was bad enough that I'm legit questioning if I even want to do the KI/Cedar Point trip so soon. We'll have to plan out a good time because MY GOD my patience was stretched to the absolute limit. It really is a shame that one of the best theme park nights of my life ocured smack dab in the middle, but it's safe to say this is the first trip I've ever been on where by the end I was MORE excited to get home than I was to leave in the first place. It was truly a nightmare and makes me second guess staying ANYWHERE outside of a park-specific resort ever again (gotta save up the $$ to splurge on Breakers, Doug ;) )

And that concludes the trip. Photos to come.

cgersic

Holy moly that's a lot of bad luck! I don't even know you and I'm so sorry for you and your grandma! I am really glad that you got some good moments out of it though. I'm a long time solo traveler and I am sceptical about going anywhere further than an overnight car ride. Thanks for the report and I hope to read about a better adventure for you down the road!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Also forgot to mention that the whole time we were getting mixed messages about rather or not Dollywood would be closed or not on Tuesday. Google said it'd be open, website said it'd be open. App said it'd be closed, park show schedule didn't list performances for that day. Even the Lyft drivers seemed mixed about it. This trip if anything else has taught me to NOT take Google's word as the gospel haha.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Get ready kids, IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!!!
Dollywood coasters RANKED

6. Firechaser Express - Definitely the weakest major coaster in the park, but I mean...it's still an insanely solid ride that's a ton of fun. It just doesn't have much that I'm looking for from an enthusiast's point of view. The themed section with the gas station and fireworks/backwards launch is EASILY the best part. If I'm being honest the rest of the ride sort of feels like it meanders around and the drops were underwhelming even by family coaster standards. Beautifully themed area though, and I'll never get sick of the gimmick of the trains pulling into the station backwards.
245502109_4698822113490247_322256897073616509_n.jpg

244612151_4698801086825683_5540052931025303360_n.jpg

5. Wild Eagle - The ONLY factor that keeps this from being higher on the list is that it still has that familiar "drop, vertical loop, dive loop" start that I'm frankly getting a bit sick of for B&M haha. That being said as I mentioned earlier this has EASILY bumped up to my third favorite B&M I've been on besides Tatsu and Mako. The climb up the lifthill going over the mountain is just insanely cool, and the ride is super graceful and gives you a far more relaxed "flying" sensation than a typical B&M flyer with their face-melting pretzel loops. I just adore the setting on this and the fact that most of the ride takes place entirely on top of the mountain. Even the often criticized last couple turn arounds were super graceful and added to the flying element. Bonus points for the Dolly Parton song attached to this. Only complaint is that the station was always a total cluster and really NEEDED a grouper up there. Every time I did it besides the one night I was lucky enough to get a front-row walk on I pretty much squeezed my way into whatever row looked like it had the shortest wait.
243122325_4698819993490459_284797543130321746_n.jpg

245105502_4698800853492373_4739500880450053348_n.jpg

4. Thunderhead - This is going to be a SUPER unpopular opinion, but I think this is BETTER than Ghostrider. The pacing on this thing is just relentless and makes me really stoked for the likes of Mystic Timbers which by all accounts seem to combine the best elements of Ghostrider (the out and back airtime hills) with this (out of control ride through the woods). The layout kept surprising me with how many times it wrapped around itself and the helix out of the station is a freaking phenomenal start pre-lift element. One of the best night rides I've ever been on. Towards the front row the air time at night was positively out of control.
245131696_4698834683488990_2207469596570708986_n.jpg

Yea...this was the ONE ride I forgot to get major photo coverage of besides Fury for obvious reasons haha.

3. Mystery Mine - In my heart this is higher, but it really isn't that great of an actual COASTER haha. As I said, the middle outdoor section really does kind of suck and live up to its reputation. That being said, everything else surrounding, well...the main coaster part of the coaster...is GOLD. The whole "a bird in a mine is bad luck" theme is JUST as well executed as any old school Disney E-Ticket and really brought me back to the days when attractions were designed for you to use your imagination to fill in the details of the plot. Big Thunder is the gold standard in this regard, and Mystery Mine is honestly right of there with that attraction as far as taking a concept and sticking to it goes. The drop into the mine is great, the vertical lifts are fantastic, the fire blast at the top of the final lift is legitimately intense, the the dive loop finale is surprisingly graceful and fun compared to the rest of the coaster sections. The heart of the ride really does come from the placemaking the thing gives the surrounding area. It really is VERY similar to Tower of Terror how it looms over the rest of the park in a rather menacing way. Oh, and the theme song is an ABSOLUTE BOB that is up there with some of the all time great theme park needle drops.

243365102_4698836330155492_5520326120979660081_n.jpg

245131698_4698817773490681_7781864553021748772_n.jpg

2. Tennessee Tornado - If it weren't for my bias for all things old school dark ride related, this would be number one with an absolute bullet. This is Arrow looper PERFECTION. It's a short ride, but OH so satisfying. Really, REALLY wonderful hangtime on the loops, the drop into the mountain is perfection, even the lifthill is insane with probably the most scenic views in the whole park outside of the drop tower. Heck, the pre-lift section even uses the storage shed in a cool way. All that mixed with the wildly executed theme of the tornado ripping through the surrounding area combines to make this a true gem in the coaster community. One thing I forgot to mention that I'll highlight here is that the ride ops are VERY enthusiast friendly in the sense that not once did any of them push the restraints DOWN while checking them, only giving them quick tugs up. This was especially awesome with Tornado. The old school Arrow OTS restraints really give you a lot of breathing room if you click them down just enough to lock. It took me a couple practice runs because the post lift/pre drop turnaround can click the restraints down a couple pegs so I had to train myself to hold them up as we were going through that part, but once I did OH MAMA did I freaking fly down that drop. Also the secluded wooded section makes for HANDS DOWN the best night ride in the park.
1634249531642.png
1634249607338.png

1. Blazing Fury - To be honest, this is no real surprise. That being said, it wouldn't be number one if it weren't for the fact that on top of being an absolutely ROCK SOLID old school dark ride in the best of ways, the coaster section is SUPRISINGLY forceful and leagues more thrilling than Firechaser which I was honestly shocked by. It's only three short-ish drops, but they're PACKED with air time. Not to mention the context for the first big drop is ridiculously well set up with the gorgeous vista overlooking the burning bridge that then "collapses" when you get onto it. From top to bottom this ride is dark ride storytelling perfection and really had vintage Knott's written all over it. From the little town in the outdoor overflow queue to the fake fire burning in the windows of the exterior. From the firehouse station to the creepy mannequin AAs and brilliantly practical effects. The ride is top to bottom everything I was hoping it would be and a whole lot more. I'm probably the only enthusiast who has this as their number one, but as someone who adores themed experiences I'll wear that with a badge of honor.
245101198_4698819050157220_7572677681520743465_n.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom