Destination: Dollywood (And a Ton of Other Stuff)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Following in the footsteps of @D Hulk's epic Orlando trip report, I thought I'd start up a thread of my own to chronicle my upcoming Dollywood trip. This trip is in a lot of ways an inverse of Hulk's Orlando adventure. Literally every vacation I've taken since 2016 has been either to Disneyland or WDW with some side Universal or Knott's thrown in for good measure. Suffice to say, I've seen about all that the state side Disney parks have to offer and I'm ready to go more regional. I've certainly got a bucket list of parks to get to with Cedar Point of course being at the top, but for now I'm starting with Dollywood as a point to expand my theme park horizons.

The big reason I'm starting here is that the park has been on my radar for a long time, ever since the opening of Mystery Mine which while I haven't heard great things about from a ride point of view looks amazing in its theming. Top to bottom the park looks absolutely gorgeous and as a park that also specializes in live entertainment it offers the best of both worlds as far as having both coasters and a lot of side stuff to do as well as the natural beauty of the Smokey Mountains setting. Another key reason I decided to start here is because of the park's proximity to a metric TON of other attractions in the immediate Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area that peak my interest. From so-bad-its-good dark rides to genuinely hyped up Halloween haunts. From immersive min golf to oddball museums, all under the setting of the Smokey Mountains. The area has so much to do that we'll likely be splitting the trip in between Dollywood and surrounding stuff unless Dollywood blows us away so much we don't want to do anything else. (Which very well could happen)

I'm also going to be going for coaster credit #100 during this trip. I was all hyped up to have that honor go to Lightning Rod, but it had a rollback collision a couple weeks ago and hasn't been open since so as it stands now I'm likely going to be one of the thousands of enthusiasts who has traveled to the park only to find that white whale of a coaster closed. The honor will now be going to Mystery Mine as the ride that put the park on the map for in the first place and as one of the most well themed looking non Disney/Universal coasters in the country. As it stands now, here's our travel itinerary

10/5 - Travel from San Francisco to Knoxville, then hopefully catch a late night Uber to Pigeon Forge
10/6 - Pigeon Forge attractions and Comedy Barn show. We'll be hitting up the new flying theater that's supposed to be better than Soarin, Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride, at least one or two mini golf courses, and getting my credit count up to seven away from 100 via the area's alpine coasters so I can top out #100 at Dollywood the next day.
10/7 and 10/8 - Dollywood
10/9 - Gatlinburg attractions.
10/10 and 10/11 - Dollywood
10/12 - Cracking out last things in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg (Dollywood will be closed this day)

I'll likely have this set up the same way Hulk did his, with somewhat "live" updates on the travel and then daily recaps featuring the big highlights culminating in a proper report when I get back. In between now and when I leave I plan on highlighting some of the more off the beaten path tourist stuff in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area to drum up hype for when I eventually get to them.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I just noticed my avatar is at the bottom of the first post instead of the top and that bothers me WAAY more than it should and I physically have to point it out to sooth my OCD haha. o_O😆

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Giving a bit more insight into the surrounding Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. As @D Hulk knows, this is the primary point of research for the trip and in some ways just because of how free-form everything is I'm almost looking forward to the two towns more than Dollywood itself. I'll go into Gatlinburg in more detail before I leave. For now let's talk Pigeon Forge. Unlike Gatlinburg which is basically one big "Downtown" area, Pigeon Forge very much has an International Drive vibe to it for all the Orlando people out there. Very much just a couple main drags with tons of tourist stuff all over the place. We'll be doing Pigeon Forge as the first day of the trip since we don't want to wear ourselves out with the long flight and then having to hit Dollywood early the next day. For now, let's take a look at some of the highlights.

Frizzle Chicken: Tons of corny Animatronic chicken celebrity parodies, and the food is supposed to be pretty great too. I'm totally sold. Generally speaking dining is definitely something I'm a bit apprehensive about this trip just because it's hard to find places that venture outside of the "fried chicken"/southern comfort food genre which I absolutely appreciate but don't want to eat for every last meal.
TheSmokies_FrizzlesChicken-e1588026267921.jpg

Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride: This is a big one. A holy grail of "so bad it's good" dinosaur AA goodness. I'm genuinely somewhat intimidated by this just because of the submechaniphobia element.
d829962de402bb9653768b54b4ef2fda--pigeon-forge-tn-jurassic-park.jpg

SkyFly Soar America: Made by the same developers as Soarin', has a much longer run time with a cool steampunk theme and is supposed to be a lot more immersive than Soarin'. Totally sold.
SBYK72FWOVDS5J3NKSVZEAVHVA.jpg

Spinning Parrot: A stupid and somewhat unique credit to pad out my count towards 100 at Dollywood the next day. Hopefully easy to snag while I'm at The Island doing SkyFly assuming it's operating.
maxresdefault.jpg

Mountain coasters: Aside from the Parrot coaster, this day is also going to be pivotal for getting my credit count up to 93 so I can then crack out seven remaining credits at Dollywood to get to 100. It's all going to depend on how easily I can get to these coasters and the prices/wait times. Having an 8PM comedy show also makes late rides a no go so this will for sure be the trickiest part of the day. Worst case scenario I hit one up on the way to Dollywood the next day.

Professor Hacker's Lost Treasure Golf - I have like three "must do" mini golf stops of the trip, and this is one of them. I've heard the actual holes aren't that well designed, but I'm absolutely sold on the bonkers time travel backstory and the fact that you take a train to the top of a "mountain" which even has some light dark ride elements.
Pigeon-Forge-Professor-Hacker%E2%80%99s-Lost-Treasure-Golf-1-1024x683.jpg

Comedy Barn - And this is where we round out the day. This family friendly comedy routine has been going strong for 25 years and seems like a really great way to bookend the day, especially since it's right next to Frizzle Chicken.
cb_feature_4.jpg

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Dollywood coasters ranked in order of anticipation. Lightning Rod would be a clear #1 if by some miracle it actually manages to open in the next calendar week haha. Not going to count Whistlepunk Chaser as it's only going to be used in a "break glass in case of emergency" credit situation.

7. Dragonflier (Vekoma Inverted Family Coaster)
Dragonflier-Coaster-Dollywood-Turn-Fountains.jpg

I'm definitely really excited for the Wildwood Grove area in general, especially at night. I have a feeling this will be pretty re-ridable. The first turn-around looks like it actually provides some solidly intense laterals and I adore the setting. The fact that this is dead last in the rankings is just a testament to how strong the park's coaster line up is.

6. Thunderhead (GCI Woodie)
iUZtdpx0HcfgmOGgDynLg6ZiyrGHFs_3_P_4VqTACcE.jpg

Really hoping for this one to be a big hit with my grandma the way way Ghostrider is. I already really like the fact that this has a station fly-through, a feature I greatly admire on Magic Mountain's "Apocalypse". That being said in general I far prefer the Ghostrider style "out and back" layouts to the GCI twisters. Still, I'm sure it will be a damn solid ride and that the surrounding area will make it all the cooler.

5. Wild Eagle (B&M Wing Coaster)
Wild_Eagle-3.jpg

Genuinely stoked for this as my first winged coaster. The lifthill up the mountain looks great and gives me the terrain sensation I was hoping for with Lightning Rod. Pretty burned out on B&M's bag of tricks, but the setting mixed with the new for me ride experience definitely raises the hype levels.

4. Firechaser Express (Geurslauer Launched Family Coaster)
1.jpg

By all accounts one of the great family coasters in the country from everything I've seen of it. Awesome theme. Front and backwards launches, accessible for my grandma. Again, really speaks to the park's line-up as a whole that this isn't even in the top three. I am hyped up enough about it to make it the first ride of the park once were there.

3. Tennessee Tornado (Arrow Looper)
F69DD0A5976F97D2D7903F00C357E75EBB8BEBC9

By all accounts the best looking Arrow looper still in existence. Easily the best use of terrain in the park outside of Lightning Rod. It just looks like intense element after intense element. First drop into a tunnel, tons of hang time on the giant loop, hugging the hillside. I'm totally all about this and have a feeling it will be the coaster with the most ride counts when all is said and done.

2. Blazing Fury (In House Dark Ride Coaster)
Blazing-Fury-Hose.jpg

I'm genuinely stoked. This has all the makings of a classic for me. It's not much as far as coasters go, but theming is everything for me and one big thing you'll notice with my top two is that they're both basically dark rides. This isn't high tech by any means, but it has the same sort of old school charm of something like the Cave Train that I grew up on at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and really feels like it fits the park so well.

1. Mystery Mine (Eurofighter)
TheSmokies.com-MysteryMine.jpg

Barring a miracle with Lightning Rod, this is my #100 goal. I don't care how intense it is. I'm seasoned with Vekoma SLCs and Boomerangs in my home park, so anything better than that is great in my book. I'm genuinely really thrilled about just how intense the coaster sections look contrasted by the compelling dark ride and backstory elements. My grandma won't ride it, but I think it's super cool that she will at least be able to enjoy the highly themed queue with me as I get the credit. I definitely don't think this is going to be the most re-rideable of the trip by any means, but it's very much my most anticipated from a first time experience perspective.​

Last edited:

cgersic

I am totally in for this! I'm not a coaster enthusiast by any stretch of the imagination, but I've never been to this area and always wanted to go! By your verbiage and photos, this will be super entertaining. :joyfull:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Happy to have everyone following along. The trip has officially started and we are en route to San Francisco Airport. We have a layover in Detroit and then it's off to Knoxville where we can hopefully catch a late night Uber or taxi into Pigeon Forge.

I'll keep ya'll updated every step of the way. From the cruddy airport breakfast to a potential happy hour Detroit layover. In the meantime here's my travel accessories as well as the customary first selfie of the trip.

Attachments

• 20211005_083718.jpg
    20211005_083718.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211005_083816.jpg
    20211005_083816.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211005_082820.jpg
    20211005_082820.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 18

Minnesota disney fan

Following with interest!

We went to Gatlinburg once when it was a quaint little one street town with many artists galleries. We actually bought a print and the artist was there to talk to. He even painted a special scene on the bottom for us and signed it. It was not hurried. Most little shops were like that. The Big Draw was the cable ride up the mountain. You could walk the trails down but were reminded to watch out for bears. Of course, we opted for the cable/skyliner, LOL

It was not a Downtown disney at that time.

The only other "attraction" was Cades Cove, which is a big loop around a flat area with bears, and other wild animals wandering around, not caged.

I would love to see Dollywood. It sounds fantastic.

Hope you have a great trip:)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Landed down in Detroit after a rather long four hour flight which was split between sleep and watching Haunting of Hill House on my phone. There was a tiny child right behind me who was totally fine until he started randomly freaking out at the landing. After a pee anxiety-ridden unload process I b lined it to McDonald's for my first "real" meal of the trip. Hoping to be in Pigeon Forge before midnight.
20211005_201002.jpg

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Tiki is in Tennessee!! Legit the easiest Airport transportation I've ever caught. The trip is about to officially start!! Also just wanted to point out that the flight was perfectly timed to be the exact length of the Hill House episode I was running. I'll do one last check in when we get to the hotel, and then I drift on off to dreamland to recharge for my mini credits quest tomorrow.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Well things are already starting out on a not great foot. Uber was taking forever to find a driver so we ended up having to take a bus and then another connecting bus. While waiting for the connecting bus the Uber driver calls me all ed that they can't find me. I tell them I canceled the call and without missing a beat they fire back "well you're still getting charged"

Sitting waiting on a bus that will HOPEFULLY take me to Goats on the Roof. Not a great start.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom