News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

tnemgif

Another threat that's likely to never come to fruition - the media backlash would be tremendous from both sides. He's showing all his cards now, and hoping Disney folds before he is forced to actually play them.
That’s what I’m wondering. What is the chance of this actually passing? I understand that the original bill at least had some legs. This just seems like petty bologna that even the sleaziest politician would have reservations about voting for.

In the Parks
No
It’s the intent of why it’s happening that matters here.

Is it safety? Or is it to “own” Disney?
Oh it's totally to "own" Disney. But Disney will just shut down the monorail, and then I won't get what I want, which is upgrades.

I think if nothing else had happened before this, people on here would be in favor of safety inspections for the monorail. It's all the other stuff that's coloring everyone's opinions.

In the Parks
No
Does this mean that Disney will potentially finally make a new kind of monorail?

/s
I hope so. I think Disney needs a kick in the pants about some of these things, and while I get that maybe DeSantis is being petty, if all of this shines a spotlight on certain things that need to be fixed, that's a good thing in my book.

JohnD

That’s what I’m wondering. What is the chance of this actually passing? I understand that the original bill at least had some legs. This just seems like petty bologna that even the sleaziest politician would have reservations about voting for.
I would say 99.99%. The new language is part of a "strike all" amendment, meaning the entire bill is replaced with a new bill with the updated language.

JohnD

i thought he was too busy campaigning in japan that godzilla went woke 🤷‍♂️
He doesn't have to do anything right now. It's being heard by the Legislature. The revised bill is likely to pass and he'll sign sometime when he's back.

Smiley/OCD

I just hope this cr@p does not result in the monorail getting shut down! :mad: I joke about our beloved Duck Tape WDW monorails, but in the 50 years in service, the safety record is near perfect. The monorail accident many years ago was human error, not mechanical error.
All you folks with the chicken little warnings that they’re falling apart and are going to fall off the beams, well, Rob heard you and as Bobby McFerrin said, “Don’t Worry, Be Happy”…you think the DUCT tape was bad before? Wait till the state gets involved…from the masterminds that was in charge of inspecting another ride in Orlando…

Disstevefan1

All you folks with the chicken little warnings that they’re falling apart and are going to fall off the beams, well, Rob heard you and as Bobby McFerrin said, “Don’t Worry, Be Happy”…you think the DUCT tape was bad before? Wait till the state gets involved…from the masterminds that was in charge of inspecting another ride in Orlando…
I just hope this cr@p does not result in the monorail getting shut down! :mad: I joke about our beloved Duck Tape WDW monorails, but in the 50 years in service, the safety record is near perfect. The monorail accident many years ago was human error, not mechanical error.

Smiley/OCD

I agree with you, it IS a very reliable transportation system, but all the people who complain about it may just get their wish…sorry if I lumped you in with them…guilt by association lol

fgmnt

As I pointed out in the RCID thread, the Walt Disney Company operates more miles of monorail than every other monorail service in the nation combined. There is absolutely no institutional knowledge in existence at the state level to be leveraged to make it function any better. It's not like FDOT knows how to do anything except highway expansion anyway.

Chi84

Premium Member
As I pointed out in the RCID thread, the Walt Disney Company operates more miles of monorail than every other monorail service in the nation combined. There is absolutely no institutional knowledge in existence at the state level to be leveraged to make it function any better. It's not like FDOT knows how to do anything except highway expansion anyway.
Don’t you wonder how the workers who are being pushed around and inconvenienced by all this will respond? People don’t take kindly to abuses of power by politicians.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom