Departing via Amtrak

imthewalrus79

Hi. I have a trip coming up. I was looking at the possibility of making my journey home via Amtrak train. If anyone else has done this, I was wondering if you could help me answer a few questions:

1) Both the Orlando and Kissimmee stations look to be about the same amount of miles from the resort. Is one of them easier to get to than the other? Is one easier to deal with than the other? What are the dining options like at or near each of the stations?

2) Without a car (personal or rental), are there other options to get to the stations from the resorts other than taxi, Uber or Lyft?

3) How long before your train is due to depart would you recommend getting to the station?

Thank you everyone for any help you can offer.

Lilofan

Hi. I have a trip coming up. I was looking at the possibility of making my journey home via Amtrak train. If anyone else has done this, I was wondering if you could help me answer a few questions:

1) Both the Orlando and Kissimmee stations look to be about the same amount of miles from the resort. Is one of them easier to get to than the other? Is one easier to deal with than the other? What are the dining options like at or near each of the stations?

2) Without a car (personal or rental), are there other options to get to the stations from the resorts other than taxi, Uber or Lyft?

3) How long before your train is due to depart would you recommend getting to the station?

Thank you everyone for any help you can offer.
Uber your way to the stations. They are located in the seedier parts of town, wouldn't want to walk around the area especially at night.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

imthewalrus79

Original Poster
Uber your way to the stations. They are located in the seedier parts of town, wouldn't want to walk around the area especially at night.
I'd be leaving in the evening. Around 6:40 PM if I leave from Kissimmee or 7:40 PM from Orlando. Both have areas that are open at the time I'd be there. Do they both offer waiting areas? Is one station more safe than the other if you're in/at it?

Upvote 0

Lilofan

I'd be leaving in the evening. Around 6:40 PM if I leave from Kissimmee or 7:40 PM from Orlando. Both have areas that are open at the time I'd be there. Do they both offer waiting areas? Is one station more safe than the other if you're in/at it?
No, I'd eat before uber to the station.

Upvote 0

imthewalrus79

Original Poster
OK. One more question then: I know from whatI've read that the Kissimmee station is a little closer to the resort than Orlando. But, that aside, is there one that you would recommend over the other? And thank you so much for the help.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

OK. One more question then: I know from whatI've read that the Kissimmee station is a little closer to the resort than Orlando. But, that aside, is there one that you would recommend over the other? And thank you so much for the help.
Just go with Kissimmee. The train I think makes a stop in brief stop in Orlando then proceed on the journey.

Upvote 0

lazyboy97o

Both stations have waiting rooms. The SunRail (local commuter train) stop that is at the Orlando Amtrak Station is called Orlando Health Station because it is very much surrounded by the hospital complex. Unless you want to go try hospital cafeteria food there’s not much else within easy walking distance.

Kissimmee Station is next to the historic downtown so it’s a more walkable immediate area with more options for dining.

If you wanted something a bit more upscale you could go to Winter Park which also has a SunRail / Amtrak station. It’s a bit further away but is also in a walkable area with some dining options.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

Both stations have waiting rooms. The SunRail (local commuter train) stop that is at the Orlando Amtrak Station is called Orlando Health Station because it is very much surrounded by the hospital complex. Unless you want to go try hospital cafeteria food there’s not much else within easy walking distance.

Kissimmee Station is next to the historic downtown so it’s a more walkable immediate area with more options for dining.

If you wanted something a bit more upscale you could go to Winter Park which also has a SunRail / Amtrak station. It’s a bit further away but is also in a walkable area with some dining options.
Orlando station is in a sketchy industrial area complex near the hospital that’s continually monitored by law enforcement. If one thinks that Kissimmee downtown dining options are good, one will be very disappointed. To carry your luggage in the heat of the day just to get something to eat outside the train station will tire someone out before the train journey.

Upvote 0

lazyboy97o

Orlando station is in a sketchy industrial area complex near the hospital that’s continually monitored by law enforcement. If one thinks that Kissimmee downtown dining options are good, one will be very disappointed. To carry your luggage in the heat of the day just to get something to eat outside the train station will tire someone out before the train journey.
Yes, everything outside Disney is so scary and awful. 🙄

Upvote 0

Jamie77

I've been taking solo trips to WDW by train since 2004. I used to take a shuttle from the train station by a guy who used to work for Disney but he's since passed away. Now, I take a town car service from the station to my WDW hotel. I used to pay only $20 each way to catch the shuttle in my early solo trip days but since I have to use another service it's much higher. I've been using Town Car Now from the Orlando Amtrak station since 2017.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

I've been taking solo trips to WDW by train since 2004. I used to take a shuttle from the train station by a guy who used to work for Disney but he's since passed away. Now, I take a town car service from the station to my WDW hotel. I used to pay only $20 each way to catch the shuttle in my early solo trip days but since I have to use another service it's much higher. I've been using Town Car Now from the Orlando Amtrak station since 2017.
If you want to save $$ then take the Lynx bus to WDW. A few connections and you sit with the locals and see parts of Orlando that tourists don't see and bus fare is around $3 one way.

Upvote 0

Jamie77

If you want to save $$ then take the Lynx bus to WDW. A few connections and you sit with the locals and see parts of Orlando that tourists don't see and bus fare is around $3 one way.
There's a Lynx bus to WDW from the Amtrak station? I'd rather do that but I've never seen one show up there. It would make life so much easier if I could get a lift to my Disney hotel from there.

Upvote 0

lazyboy97o

Upvote 0

IanDLBZF

It stops at Disney Springs. Then get a Disney bus to your resort.
It goes to the TTC, not Disney Springs. Depending on what resort you're staying at, you will need to take onward transportation to your hotel (either from the TTC if you're at the Contemporary, Polynesian, or Grand Floridian), or from the Magic Kingdom or Epcot.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

It goes to the TTC, not Disney Springs. Depending on what resort you're staying at, you will need to take onward transportation to your hotel (either from the TTC if you're at the Contemporary, Polynesian, or Grand Floridian), or from the Magic Kingdom or Epcot.
Catch the #350 bus at Springs area ( E. bvd and bonnet creek prky )to get to your destination.

Upvote 0

IanDLBZF

The 350 goes to Lynx Central Station, a great place to watch Amtrak trains but not to board them.
The 300 and 350 both serve Lynx Central Station to connect the Walt Disney World Resort to SunRail. If you're talking Amtrak, I'd take Link 56 from the Kissimmee Station, not the Orlando Station.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom