Delux moderate or Value? Help

AndyCW

Original Poster
We have the choice of 5 nights complimentary at a moderate resort or 3 nights at a delux then pay for 2 nights . I don’t know where to start as our preference was the French Quarter and it’s not open. So .... do we go 3 nights Floridian and 2 nights Animation or perhaps 5 nights Caribbean ? People have suggested 3 nights Beach then 2 nights Caribbean ... any help much appreciated.

StarshipDisney

If it were me, I would take the 5 nights complimentary and just stay moderate.

The only moderate resort I have tried is Port Orleans Riverside. With that out, I have thought about a future stay at Caribbean Beach Resort. One thing for sure is that you cannot argue with free. Enjoy.

AndyCW

Original Poster
Thanks ... I just want best value. I don’t really want to swap half way through but 3 nights delux is a decent offering.

AndyCW

Original Poster
...especially if you could get into the Contemporary Tower. That is by far my favorite resort. Now that would be IMO worth the move. :)
Is the contemporary that good? We have been told that the yacht club is better than the three magic kingdom resorts due to close proximity to Epcot and Hollywood???

Schweino

Do you happen to know your total cost for the 2 extra nights if you are looking at doing the deluxe? If you are looking at AoA/Pop, I am guessing 200ish a night, so $400 (this could be way higher if your doing spring trip). For $400, with no dining plan offerings, I would just take the 5 nights free and use that 400 on food, because your def gonna need it. Especially if you plan to spend pretty much all day at the parks - no need for deluxe resorts. I know some deluxe goers might argue this point, but IMO the deluxe are not worth the cost unless renting DVC points (which is still a meh to me when it comes to cost/value).

AndyCW

Original Poster
Do you happen to know your total cost for the 2 extra nights if you are looking at doing the deluxe? If you are looking at AoA/Pop, I am guessing 200ish a night, so $400 (this could be way higher if your doing spring trip). For $400, with no dining plan offerings, I would just take the 5 nights free and use that 400 on food, because your def gonna need it. Especially if you plan to spend pretty much all day at the parks - no need for deluxe resorts. I know some deluxe goers might argue this point, but IMO the deluxe are not worth the cost unless renting DVC points (which is still a meh to me when it comes to cost/value).
Never stopped at the Caribbean ... it seems to be best option for moderate. I see your point it’s just that we stopped FQ and it was good but not open this time . We are going August.
I'd take 5 nights at Coronado Springs for free, especially if the Tower is in play...
The Tower is out unfortunately

Schweino

Never stopped at the Caribbean ... it seems to be best option for moderate. I see your point it’s just that we stopped FQ and it was good but not open this time . We are going August.

The Tower is out unfortunately
Never stayed at CBR myself but much feedback reading is the resort is huge and could make for some longish walks depending on room placement.

Overall, I am a budget kind of guy. For me personally, what enhances my trips to WDW is the kind of experience I get in the parks and why we spent pretty much all day at the parks. With our honeymoon in December, we went with the cheapest option which was Pop and took the savings from choosing a mod/deluxe and instead did many signature (and costly) dinners (Le Cellier, BOG, CRT, Tiffins, Cali Grill) instead of doing more quick service type of meals.

However, the above is a personal thing - what enhances your trip experience? Is it staying at the resorts for half the day relaxing and then hitting the parks? Or do you hit the parks all day and are barely at the resort?

While getting 3 nights in a deluxe for free does seem appealing, from a budget perspective I would take 5 free and spend more money where I have more enjoyment :) BOL in your decision!

MickeyCB

We have the choice of 5 nights complimentary at a moderate resort or 3 nights at a delux then pay for 2 nights . I don’t know where to start as our preference was the French Quarter and it’s not open. So .... do we go 3 nights Floridian and 2 nights Animation or perhaps 5 nights Caribbean ? People have suggested 3 nights Beach then 2 nights Caribbean ... any help much appreciated.
Very happy for you that you have such interesting choices/options!
Personally I love deluxe due to 2 reasons. I enjoy the hotels themselves, but in particular I love to have a balcony and sit and have coffee in the morning, maybe a drink in the evening, etc. The location, Beaches or the Poly for example, would be more an issue of theming and proximity to parks you favor.
One perhaps silly thing, but I have seen other posters recommend, is stay at the moderate first and then the deluxe the second half of your stay, if you choose the split stay. (I personally detest split stays because I hate to repack up and move), but many people love being able to experience 2 resorts in one stay.

StarshipDisney

Is the contemporary that good? We have been told that the yacht club is better than the three magic kingdom resorts due to close proximity to Epcot and Hollywood???

I guess it is all a matter of opinion, but to me...yes...it is that good!

I have stayed at Yacht Club. Yes, you can take boat rides to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios. But the convenience factor is nowhere even close to the Contemporary Tower. After a long day at the parks, that seemed like a long walk from the dock to the resort. Yacht Club was OK. But if I were to go back to the EPCOT resort area again, I would try the Boardwalk.

...and don't forget that "normally" Contemporary would have the Monorail to both Magic Kingdom and EPCOT. Hopefully that will come back soon. But for now yes it is a drawback.

MickeyLuv'r

If I were in your shoes...I'd take a moment to price out the comparable value of each option for the dates you want.

Also important to note if you are considering a 3/2 split is that the hotel rates are usually higher on the weekends, and the price differences tend to be greater at the deluxes. so you might want to make sure your free deluxe nights are weekend nights, even if that means deluxe then moderate.

Last summer we really liked the Coronado Tower, but we stayed club level, and had a car. The one time i tried to get food in the main food court it was terrible. the smaller grab and go quick serves were a little better, but limited. the main food court used to be great years ago. The food court at Art of Animation is pretty good, or was when we visited (we actually drove their to eat one night).

The downside of the big WDW moderates - CSR, CBR, and POR is if you don't have a car, you lose a lot of time waiting on transportation, and taking transportation. AKL and WL are in between (love them, wouldn't choose them in this case). We love BC/YC and CR. While CR doesn't have the theming, it is convenient for getting to MK. A second plus of the contemporary is that you can easily access all eateries on the monorail hotel line.

The upside, IMO, of the mods is that the theming is nice. I haven't stayed at CBR in many years, Other than the food court being meh, CBR is very pretty. (and I'm pretty sure Club Level is still closed.) BC/YC has a super pool.

So...most likely , if I was in your place, I'd pick BC, YC, GF or CR, and probably paired with AoA. Or right now maybe one room is best. Maybe 4 days instead of 5 as a potential option?

We've done lots of split stays. they are easy if you pack right and don't unpack a ton at each stop. Mostly we just unpack toiletries at each stop- daily essentials. Things we only might use (over the counter meds, moleskin) stay in a giant ziplock bag until we need them. We otherwise live out of the suitcases. As much as possible, we just open the suitcases and put them on a luggage rack, or on a countertop/desk. Dirty laundry goes in a bag that doesn't get unpacked at the second hotel. WDW hotel will let you drop off bags at any hour, or we leave luggage in the trunk. The only hard part is moving something perishables and chocolate. for some reason WDW = chocolate. I sometimes bring a softsided cooler that keeps stuff cold. Soda cans actually make a decent kinda cold pack. not as good as ice packs, but refrigerated soda cans stay relatively cool for quite some time. not cold enough for milk, just semi cool, and not as well in FL summer.
One plus of splits is you an hit parks based on where you are staying. Take advantage of being close. If GF- go ot MK and GF eateries thsoe days, for example.

Club Cooloholic

Have you ever stayed at a Deluxe? Or maybe you only stay at Deluxes, this all factors in. Also depends which one. I love AKL but I'd it's not all still open and the put you in a non savannah view in Kidani, not so sure. But of its the Poly or a savannah room, yeah!. That said, I love both Port Orleans properties and when something is free it tends to be that much more fun, so 5 days beats 3 for me.

Rlandrigan

The Epcot area Deluxes are very nice - being able to walk to two park is a serious luxury. with park hopper back it means dinner in Epcot is easier. If that's not a big deal, 5 nights at Pop - easy hop onto the Skyovens and I like the somewhat small but very efficient rooms. If GF is on the table and you are playing more time in MK the new pedestrian bridge makes it a better option than Contemporary.

JillC LI

We stayed at a deluxe (Boardwalk) once and it was great being walking distance to EPCOT and DHS. However, given your choice, I'd definitely go with the 5 free nights at a mod. Our fave is POR but since it's closed, we also loved CBR as long as we had a rental car so we could drive quickly to any park and not deal with buses since it's a big resort. Ask for a room in the Jamaica or Aruba sections "near the footbridge" and it's a short walk over the water to the food court and the main pool.

BASS

Judging from your avatar, you have two kids. The deluxe are awesome, but . . . I find the packing/unpacking experience so stressful with kids, that I think that would likely dissuade me from a split stay. Maybe your family are light packers and can get away with it?

aliceismad

Personally I'd stay at whichever resort appealed the most to me (or my kids) in terms of theming, pool, and dining options, because we like to spend some time at our resort and enjoy it. It's important to us that the hotel feel like part of the adventure, rather than just a place to sleep. My daughter still talks about being able to see animals from our room a few years ago. If you're going to be at Parks most of the day every day, then it might not matter, and you should go with whatever is most convenient in terms of transportation to the Parks you want to be at.

We did a split stay in 2019, half a week at POFQ and half at BLT. The split stay was remarkably easy, even with our 5 year old, because Disney moved all our luggage for us, and it was not an issue. I do not know if that is still true during covid. One recommendation would be to have 1 suitcase (or bag within the suitcase) for clothes for the first part of the stay and a separate bag for the second half. Also I would try to stay at the deluxe last. Personally, I appreciated it a little more at the end of the trip since the first days are so much about the excitement of being at WDW, and the last days are a little slower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom