deleted

yeti

No question that Walt Disney made the world a better place
And that's really what it's all about.

There has never been so much artistic and social wrangling over a person's pop culture footprint. People have their reasons for hating him...I think they overestimate him. Walt Disney made complex movies with simple motives: to bring families together in front of movie screens, living rooms, and theme parks; to get people to experience unambiguous depictions of fear, grief, and joy together as a unit; to provide children with formative morality lessons in a nurturing but compelling format that doesn't intimidate them or make them feel inferior; and to provide grown-ups with a reprieve from working their tails off, in and out of the household. To all age groups, Disney stories embolden folks to live the kind of life they want to lead in the simplest terms.

There are important, more intelligent things to do other than visit theme parks or watch cartoons. Walt Disney didn't make the world a better place. He just made it a lot more enjoyable.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
“It would take more time than anybody has around the daily news shops to think of the right thing to say about Walt Disney.

He was an original; not just an American original, but an original, period. He was a happy accident; one of the happiest this century has experienced; and judging by the way it’s been behaving in spite of all Disney tried to tell it about laughter, love, children, puppies and sunrises, the century hardly deserved him.

He probably did more to heal or at least to soothe troubled human spirits than all the psychiatrists in the world. There can’t be many adults in the allegedly civilized parts of the globe who did not inhabit Disney’s mind and imagination at least for a few hours and feel better for the visitation.

It may be true, as somebody said, that while there is no highbrow in a lowbrow, there is some lowbrow in every highbrow.

But what Walt Disney seemed to know was that while there is very little grown-up in a child, there is a lot of child in every grown-up. To a child this weary world is brand new, gift wrapped; Disney tried to keep it that way for adults…

By the conventional wisdom, mighty mice, flying elephants, Snow White and Happy, Grumpy, Sneezy and Dopey – all these were fantasy, escapism from reality. It’s a question of whether they are any less real, any more fantastic than intercontinental missiles, poisoned air, defoliated forests, and scraps from the moon. This is the age of fantasy, however you look at it, but Disney’s fantasy wasn’t lethal. People are saying we’ll never see his like again.”

Eric Sevareid

CBS Evening News

December, 1966

Cmdr_Crimson

The last known footage of Walt is the introduction to his film "Follow Me Boys" filmed Oct 27th 1966

Two Months later.......Well........
latest

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
If you visit the Disney Family Museum, there is an entire exhibit that shows newspaper articles and tribute after the news of Walt's death.

Such as this one from the Bermingham News
A7YkvKQ.jpg

Here's another one.
UlfGOft.jpg

There a more illustrations responding to Walt's death when you are there in person. I heard it's more sobering once you leave the Disneyland model and you hear a news report announcing his death with some news footage.

this section of the WDFM killed me.

Magenta Panther

I once said here that I admire Walt Disney not so much for his characters, but for his character. Despite all of his stresses and successes, he remained true to his humble beliefs: faithfulness in marriage, devotion to family, supporting of charity, respecting all human beings regardless of race or sex, champion of children. He was progressive, yet he was also a traditionalist. And fearless! He suffered defeats and tragedies, but never gave up. I can only shake my head at people who try to degrade him, who slander him, who ignore the facts about him. What is it about him that threatens them so much?

Happy Birthday, Walt. If there's a heaven, I bet you're up there right now trying to think up ways to "plus" it. ;)

admiral-ari-x

Truly an inspiring man. I do tend to give this company a lot of guff, but only because he gave them such a high standard to live up to, and shoes much too large to fill. Walt took risks for what he created; he went into debt many a time focusing on making the animation industry more advanced and sophisticated than ever before. He brought the art form into the limelight that it deserved, and he did it all with a kindness and gentle spirit that even today brings joy to the hearts of all.

Walt has accomplished what he set out to do with Disney. He's still with the parks, in every magical moment provided by a cast member, in every new spectacle, and in the candle still burning in his room above the fire station. He gave this world a real gift simply by living and thriving in it.

(Sorry, I get a little hammy about Walt... a real hero in my eyes)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom