DELETE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weather_Lady

If you can't afford the standard tip for good service, you can't afford the restaurant.

Please adjust your plans accordingly by choosing less expensive restaurants, foregoing the drinks you feel you need to order, or ordering less expensive entrees that bring your meal+tip within your budget. While it's regrettable that Disney keeps increasing its prices in a manner that outpaces inflation, your desire to live above your means, Disney-style, is no reason to cheat a server out of a well-earned tip. Here, a tip isn't just a reward for the quality of service: it's an essential component of a server's compensation, without which they cannot make a living wage.

Last edited:

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Yeah, in the US a flat 10 would be pretty insulting depending on the bill. When I am planning my trips, I try and take into account the tipping in the budget so I’m not surprised by the amount later on.

Tony the Tigger

Hi all,

We have a dilemma as when it comes to dining at Disney, I know the standard tip is 18% but my husband and I really struggle with this, our Disney trip this year has been so much more expensive than when we first went in 2016 and tipping this amount each time we eat is really going to cost us a lot of extra money over the course of our holiday. We are a family of 4 with teenage kids (aged 14 & 11) so we are paying for the adult meals. When you are talking between $20 - $30 per person each meal an extra 18% really adds up over 14 meals.

For example if we spend $25 pp for dinner each day (this is a cheap meal at Disney!) that's $18 of tips x 14 meals = $252 extra. This figure is very likely to be higher as we will need to order drinks. I really don't want to insult the waiters/waitresses as they do a great job, is tipping a flat rate of $10 per meal insulting? Such a difficult subject to approach.

Sam x

There’s no way to get out of fair tipping with your head held high, nor should there be.

My suggestion would be to switch out some of those meals for quick service meals where there is no tipping, and then tip appropriately at your sit down meals.

DisneyDreamer08

Disney does a great job with their quick service options. There are a lot of really unique and delicious quick service spots- especially in Epcot and Animal Kingdom. A lot of people think of places like McDonald’s when they hear ‘quick service’ but, you never have to eat just burgers and fries (unless you want to of course).
We actually prefer QS as it is one less thing to set a definite time to each day. My suggestion would be to swap most of your table service for quick service :)

epcotisbest

There’s no way to get out of fair tipping with your head held high, nor should there be.

My suggestion would be to switch out some of those meals for quick service meals where there is no tipping, and then tip appropriately at your sit down meals.

That is a good idea. We always consider the tip just a portion of the overall cost of the meal.
I also think if my budget was so tight that meals and tipping were an issue, I might be reconsidering the whole trip.

epcotisbest

Disney does a great job with their quick service options. There are a lot of really unique and delicious quick service spots- especially in Epcot and Animal Kingdom. A lot of people think of places like McDonald’s when they hear ‘quick service’ but, you never have to eat just burgers and fries (unless you want to of course).
We actually prefer QS as it is one less thing to set a definite time to each day. My suggestion would be to swap most of your table service for quick service :)

Yep, lots of options.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Sorry, @dryerlintfan that sounded snarky and wasn't intended to be.

OMG no worries!! My response was snarky so it deserved snark :hilarious::hilarious:

OP did ask in the right forum and maybe they have an honest question here. One can hope.

Either way, there are some really great responses on the thread so far about tipping. I'm used to seeing these go sideways.

Tony the Tigger

Sorry, @dryerlintfan that (my reply to you) sounded snarky and wasn't intended to be.
OMG no worries!! My response was snarky so it deserved snark :hilarious::hilarious:

OP did ask in the right forum and maybe they have an honest question here. One can hope.

Either way, there are some really great responses on the thread so far about tipping. I'm used to seeing these go sideways.
3210F745-F004-48E2-BF9C-4DB3A5F859D5.jpeg

BuddyThomas

Hi all,

We have a dilemma as when it comes to dining at Disney, I know the standard tip is 18% but my husband and I really struggle with this, our Disney trip this year has been so much more expensive than when we first went in 2016 and tipping this amount each time we eat is really going to cost us a lot of extra money over the course of our holiday. We are a family of 4 with teenage kids (aged 14 & 11) so we are paying for the adult meals. When you are talking between $20 - $30 per person each meal an extra 18% really adds up over 14 meals.

For example if we spend $25 pp for dinner each day (this is a cheap meal at Disney!) that's $18 of tips x 14 meals = $252 extra. This figure is very likely to be higher as we will need to order drinks. I really don't want to insult the waiters/waitresses as they do a great job, is tipping a flat rate of $10 per meal insulting? Such a difficult subject to approach.

Sam x
Eat at quick service restaurants only.

Here is a study guide for you. You’re welcome.

G00fyDad

Hi all,

Sam x

I have a spreadsheet that I use for each trip that lists EVERYTHING we do and ALL money spent. I input what my family believes they will order at each restaurant each day and next to it (if it is a TS dining location) it has a spot that automatically calculates my tips for me at 18%. If I don't like the total we adjust our meal choices or choose another place to eat. I also take a little extra money I call the "Oh, (blank)!" money. It is usually around $150 that we can use if my planned amount for a meal goes over or if we need something small during the trip. Make yourself a spreadsheet that does all of this and you will not be sorry.

It looks a little like this:

Last edited:

mdcpr

Hi all,

Sam x
Are you outside of the US? If yes, tipping is always expected, and you should plan this into your budget. Minimum service is 15%, but 18% is the average. Waiters and waitress are not that well compensated, and tipping really make a difference in their income.

If you do live in the US, you know better than that. The CM's that offer the service you are expecting are also expecting a tip for that service. This is not a dilemma you are facing, you are making a decision about wanting a service you cannot afford and affecting the income of the CMs. It is indeed insulting to tip a flat rate of $10. It is actually unheard of.

Hockey89

Hi all,

Sam x
Are you trolling... Yes, that would be a complete insult and a garabage move...If you can't afford to tip, you should not be going

mdcpr

Are you trolling... Yes, that would be a complete insult and a garabage move...If you can't afford to tip, you should not be going
The alias of the OP includes 'UK', maybe they are not in the US. This is valid question if they don't know the low wages of waiters/waitresses and our tipping practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom