Define 50% capacity

JIMINYCR

Even if the crowd could be considered "light" it may not feel like a light crowd day depending on how they work the ride capacities
If WDW goes along with the indicated Shanghai's idea of queue set up guest distancing, minimal attraction ride car seating and theater/ shows policy of seating every other row, with seats empty in between guests, low caopacity seating for dining and QS areas, ... even with lower guest admittance at 50%, its still going to make for long waits to process through the parks. Doesnt seem like its going to be a very pleasurable Disney day. I'mmmm thinking I'll wait a bit longer to rebook my trip. Let things quiet down and let my trip dollars be worth something when I return.

ELG13

Original Poster
I guess it's really just wait and see. I think we will book for next year and if we end up having to cancel then we will just cancel. I feel like it might not suck TOO bad for us as we are generally there for a week, we do the fastpasses we get, optimize the 4th fp we can as much as we can, look for short waits when possible and then enjoy ft wilderness. We've always gone with low expectations since we have a child with autism. I think for us, the big part would be the pool/Disney springs/blizzard beach situation since we spend solid chunks of time there.

thomas998

Well if I'm looking at just MK max capacity is about 100,000 and generally they only see close to those numbers between Christmas and NYE.
An average day sees about 56,000 at MK.
To ME 50% capacity should not be 50,000 but should be half of what the daily average is.
So if daily average at MK is 56,000 then I'd say to reopen at half cap the number of guests should be 28,000.
I don't think you can compare that to any day of the year now a days.
I think you could have compared it to a slow time back say 10-12 years ago like maybe the first half of December in 2007 lol.
If you went to the Halloween parties around 2005 they were selling 25,000 tickets and Halloween was generally sold out. While I have not heard of any numbers for how many they sell now days or the party I've been on non sold out parties and they seemed more crowded than the used to when sold out so I'm betting they are selling more than 25,000 to special events today... wouldn't be surprised if it was up to around 35,000 now days.

ELG13

Original Poster
If you went to the Halloween parties around 2005 they were selling 25,000 tickets and Halloween was generally sold out. While I have not heard of any numbers for how many they sell now days or the party I've been on non sold out parties and they seemed more crowded than the used to when sold out so I'm betting they are selling more than 25,000 to special events today... wouldn't be surprised if it was up to around 35,000 now days.
I'd agree with you there. We went to one a few years ago and it was crowded. Not as bad as a normal day but for an after hours deal it was. It was definitely more than what we saw when we went in '06

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Does anyone remember the B ride night and the “dress up as a bride for b rides” promotion? Didn’t go so well. I rode the living daylights out of Dumbo though. 26 rides on that flying elephant was a dream come true.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Does anyone remember the B ride night and the “dress up as a bride for b rides” promotion? Didn’t go so well. I rode the living daylights out of Dumbo though. 26 rides on that flying elephant was a dream come true.

I'd say "yes to the dress" if I could ride Peoplemover 26 times in a single day!

thomas998

I'd say "yes to the dress" if I could ride Peoplemover 26 times in a single day!
If people mover is your ride then just go to any of the special event parties because it is very often a ride you could ride over and over because there is zero people waiting for it. Could probably ask the CM if you could just stay on and they probably wouldn't care, it is truly empty during the evening and night hours at lots of the event parties.

Giss Neric

So with 50% capacity implemented, can they turn away guests buying tickets on the day itself. I would assume Magic Kingdom will be the fastest to get full.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So with 50% capacity implemented, can they turn away guests buying tickets on the day itself. I would assume Magic Kingdom will be the fastest to get full.
There could be no day of sales in that scenario in the morning...it would have to be phased in midday or something...

If one park meets capacity...then you’re shunted to another.

So you could hypothetically be on a bus to one and get taken to another.

Does it sound like a mess yet?

Remember - parks are no where near capacity 360 days year....but half? That’s a different ballgame

Last edited:

thomas998

I think the problem is going to be that if they open up all their resort rooms which they would probably want to do as soon as possible because its lots of money... and if people go back in mass, then they are going to have a problem with trying to go to 50% capacity. They have over 30,000 rooms... if they are booked solid and you assume 3 guests per room (since some will be a family of 4 and some maybe only 2) you have 90,000 potential MK guests on any given day. Now is you've spent the premium price on a Disney resort are you going to be happy when you're told sorry but the MK is full so you can't go in today. Remember the MK capacity is about 100,000 so you're hotel guests represent way more than half the 50% capacity of the park.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
MK stats as far as I know and heard:
  • Max Capacity: 100K
  • Yearly Average: 30K
  • Holiday Nights: 25K
  • Theoretical Capacity it was built for: 10K (yes, MK gets 3 times the number of people it was built for)
  • Before/After Hours events: 2.5K - 5K

So, at 50% capacity, is that half of: 100K, 30K, or 10K?

Giss Neric

EWtMrHFXQAIeepz.jpeg
EWtMoOLXgAI8xHy.jpeg

Only way to achieve this is locals, local APs and DVC members first for the phase 1 50% capacity.

ELG13

Original Poster
MK stats as far as I know and heard:
  • Max Capacity: 100K
  • Yearly Average: 30K
  • Holiday Nights: 25K
  • Theoretical Capacity it was built for: 10K (yes, MK gets 3 times the number of people it was built for)
  • Before/After Hours events: 2.5K - 5K

So, at 50% capacity, is that half of: 100K, 30K, or 10K?
That is THE question isnt it. The optimist in me hopes it's 10k 😉

Disstevefan1

I'm sure we've all heard the speculation that when Disney opens it won't be until next year at 50% capacity (truth be told I haven't followed this closely so I apologize if this has already been discussed/debunked). What is 50% capacity? If you could describe a time of year on the crowd calendar, what would it be? I'm ready to rebook our trip for next year so I'm just wondering if 50% is going to be more or less crowded than we are used to. I am always amazed at what full capacity looks like and when they shut the gates. Half of that still seems unbearable compared to what I'm used to in September or back in the glory days of October being off season....but I'm pretty oblivious to actual numbers and what half capacity would actually look and feel like.

50% capacity at the magic kingdom is MOBBED. Normal capacity at the magic kingdom is SUPER MOBBED 😀

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom