Deciding on magic band colors

Minnie1986

Original Poster
It has a small battery sealed inside that transmits the Bands serial number a few dozen yards. That's how the auto-linking of onride photos and a few other "magical" enhancements happen.

The batteries last at least 2-3 years.

-Rob
That would explain why all of the ones I have still say active on the MDE app.

Rob562

That would explain why all of the ones I have still say active on the MDE app.

Disney suggests that each person have a maximum of 8-10 Bands active on their account at one time. There's a few MDE-related systems, particularly the room door locks, that can get overwhelmed if too many serial numbers are fed to them.

Bands can be disabled and re-enabled in the app.

-Rob

correcaminos

Disney suggests that each person have a maximum of 8-10 Bands active on their account at one time. There's a few MDE-related systems, particularly the room door locks, that can get overwhelmed if too many serial numbers are fed to them.

Bands can be disabled and re-enabled in the app.

-Rob
They can also be handed in to the front desk to be recycled and thus removed from your account. Disney IT can remove them too.

Not related to this post but we find the battery only lasts about 1.5 to 2 years max. Still usable but not good for ride pics that you cannot tap for.

yedliW

Not related to this post but we find the battery only lasts about 1.5 to 2 years max. Still usable but not good for ride pics that you cannot tap for.

Too bad there is no way to know what the battery life is besides not getting your pics from 7DMT etc.. (or is there that I don't know about?)

Maybe that can be an enhancement in the next MDE update..

correcaminos

Too bad there is no way to know what the battery life is besides not getting your pics from 7DMT etc.. (or is there that I don't know about?)

Maybe that can be an enhancement in the next MDE update..
I test it with pics you can tap for or if we have a mix of old bands or new. I agree it would be nice to know. I assume now after 2 years its toast.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Yup. There are two types of radios in the bands.
  1. RFID is a passive technology (no battery) that is used for park admission, fastpass, room access, payments, etc.. That technology requires the band to be essentially in contact with the active reader to work. because the power is in the reader and it covers a very short distance.
  2. The other is Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) which is the active radio that uses the battery. This is used for some of the more passive activities like on-ride photos. It's also used by Disney in an anonomized way to monitor crowd patterns flowing through attractions. It's also the tech that is being introduced to measure actual wait times without the older red card system as a guest moves through the line. There were a lot of other things they hoped to do early on but privacy concerns and other operational issues/concerns pushed those to the back burner.
The battery in a Magic Band will eventually wear out in ~3 years and when that happens the proximity things like on-ride photos stop, but the active contact things like room access, park admission etc keep working because the power for that is in the reader, not the band. So you could theoretically use any MB forever as long as you understand that the passive functions would stop working somewhere around 3 years after activation.
Here's an interesting article about the MBs...

Indy_UK

I pick whatever color best goes with the outfits I plan to bring. As far as collecting the different-color bands as souvenirs, though, I've found that if I try and hold onto them, after about a year the colors tend to fade and develop a "dusty" appearance (even if kept in a drawer), so I end up throwing them out.

Now you've done it... I've not thought about colour co-ordinating with what I'm wearing and where I've bought bright solid colour t-shirts in blue/ Red etc, I now feel I have to get magicbands to match lol

Can you request or pay for more of the standard coloured magic ands before you arrive and check in to your resort?

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Now you've done it... I've not thought about colour co-ordinating with what I'm wearing and where I've bought bright solid colour t-shirts in blue/ Red etc, I now feel I have to get magicbands to match lol

Can you request or pay for more of the standard coloured magic ands before you arrive and check in to your resort?

This is all new to me. Generally I would pick the colors I know were people favorite and we use one band each the entire trip. LOL it's enough for me to get my act together in the morning. deciding on what color band to wear would tip the scales.

Weather_Lady

There are MagicBands in all colors and designs available for purchase in gift shops at the hotels and all over Disney property. You can also use a band from a previous stay (if the battery still works), or purchase "MagicBand skins" from a number of online companies with every conceivable design, pattern and feature (e.g., glow-in-the-dark). If you have more than one reservation (e.g., a split stay, or a room-only followed by a package reservation with free dining or something), you'll get one MagicBand for each.

It's funny that you mention red and blue, as that's one of my go-to color schemes when packing for vacation: you can mix-and-match red and/or blue with any neutral, and those colors always look good together (patriotic, even), so you can't go wrong with either one as your band color.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom