December Holiday Peak Days

Disneyland68

Original Poster
Aloha,

For the DLR experts. Looking at planning contingencies. Need some advice. What are the historical busiest (highest attended) days at DLR during the Christmas Holidays?

I am assuming 26-31 December are at max capacity. 17-25 December are slightly less. Appreciate y'alls feedback. Mahalo.

SuddenStorm

Unless you're planning for 2022 trip this question is largely guesswork, I'm guessing historical crowd trends will be out the window in the near future.

If Newsom's current restrictions hold there won't be a Christmas season at Disneyland this year.

Darkbeer1

One key factor is School Holidays, which is a big unknown this year.

Basically historically, Christmas through New Years Eve is the busiest, then the first week of January, Then the week before Christmas and the Second week in January, depending on holidays.

The opening weekend is always busy due to AP holders, then it mellows out until mid-December.

And of course, Candlelight, the unofficial event that creates Main Street Traffic Jams.

Disneyland68

Original Poster
Aloha,

Appreciate everyone's feedback and responses. Generally try to avoid the mass hysteria of the holidays at a Disney park. Family attended WDW in Dec of 2007 before magic bands and FP restrictions. We were able to smartly manage the crowds and enjoy ourselves. If our July reservations get cancelled the teenagers want to enjoy a DLR/ Anaheim holiday experience. Greatly more expensive and vastly more crowded. I am personally hoping DLR will open in July with minimal COVID-19 restrictions. Ha!

SuddenStorm

And of course, Candlelight, the unofficial event that creates Main Street Traffic Jams.

Let's hope TDA doesn't use Covid as an excuse to end the Candlelight tradition- an event that likely has a bit too much Christianity and not enough Disney for Chapek's liking...

While Chapek was at Disneyland for last year's Candlelight I heard a rumor circulating among some of the attractions CM's that he was visiting attractions he was considering for replacement. A good friend of mine was his Storybook Boat Lady, and she was panicked when she heard that rumor.

Darkbeer1

Let's hope TDA doesn't use Covid as an excuse to end the Candlelight tradition- an event that likely has a bit too much Christianity and not enough Disney for Chapek's liking...

While Chapek was at Disneyland for last year's Candlelight I heard a rumor circulating among some of the attractions CM's that he was visiting attractions he was considering for replacement. A good friend of mine was his Storybook Boat Lady, and she was panicked when she heard that rumor.

Thank God Josh is smart enough to not even think like that.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
This probably doesn't fit your situation, but as someone who has done a few solo trips for Christmas, this is what I usually do. Since school is typically out during the two weeks that Christmas and New Years fall on, I avoid those like the plague (too soon?). That in itself (going during those two weeks) might be your only choice if you are factoring kids into the trip.

I usually go on the Friday before that because So. Cal and Deluxe passes are usually blocked that day and it's pretty light. Unfortunately, this year it looks like Deluxe isn't blocked for that day (18th).

I also usually just go for that one day and you may want to go for more. So honestly, none of this is probably relevant and you can ignore this post lol.

cmwade77

Luckily Josh actually really likes Candlelight, so I doubt it will be ended, but the venue will likely be changed from Main Street to avoid crowds. Disneyland has put it in the Fantasyland theater before and it was moved back to main street after a year because people felt it belonged there, but I could see it being moved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom