December @ Caribbean Beach?

Illmatic291

Ok we are planning to go during the month of December. I read here that the first week is the best time to go however school is not out until December 18th through January 2nd. We would like to spend Chrismas there however I read here that it is really busy and parks close earlier. We plan to arrive December 23 and leave the 29th. I was woundering if that was a good time to go or not because I fear it will be too crowded. We last went for our first time in July 2003 and it was pretty crowded.

Also we planned on staying at the Caribbean Beach resort or Pop Centry. We say both because we are not sure how the weather will be to enjoy Caribbean Beach. If it is too cold it will be a waste obviously. We are from Virginia and winter here can get pretty cold, I know it is warmer in Florida but It is still a risk I think. Our last stay was at Port Orleans River so what can I expect to be diffrent? We are registered through AAA and I read that December is off season so I was woundering around how much would it be for one adult and 3 kids during that time period. Kids ages are 17, 13 and 1. Thanks.

Dagger

I would be staying at a beach theme if it wasn't December. I've never been to WDW in December but my dad lives down there and says he wouldn't guarantee it's swimming weather, but it will certainly be perfect for walking around parks all day...maybe even a little warm?

I'm curious as to what others who've stayed there in DEC will say

Upvote 0

kik4adog

Let me tell you from a perspective of someone who goes down to The World about once every other month.....If you have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, you will probably be dissapointed by Carribean Beach.

I have stayed at numerous Disney hotels including POR, CB, and have even stayed at Pop Century a number of times.
As far as the weather goes, you won't really be missing out on much by staying at Carribean Beach if it is cold. I mean, just about the only thing Caribbean there is the theming.Sure they have a little beach area on a lake but it's just sand with some lawn chairs and hammocks. You can't go swimming in the water and to be totally honest I hardly ever see anyone using the little beach areas anyway.

I was dissapointed in the food there as well. Not a whole lot to choose from unless you're ok with eating Hamburgers, chicken tenders and junk food the whole time you're there.

Don't get me wrong....There are no bad Disney resorts but I just think you'll be dissapointed in Pop Centure and Caribbean Beach after staying at POR.

As far as the traffic.....I've never gone during the Holidays but I hear it is INSANE that time of year. If you're adament on going, I would try to stay at a nice resort so that you can chill out at the hotel and enjoy some relaxation when you get tired of waiting in lines all day.
If you can afford it I would HIGHLY recommend Wilderness Lodge. It is one of the cheaper Deluxe resorts and happens to be one of my fiance and I's favorite Disney resort.

The temperature can be tricky in Florida in December. It will more than likely be chilly. Probably not scarf and gloves cold but definitely bring pants and some sweaters as well as a pair or 2 of shorts because it can heat up in the afternoons even in December.

I hope I didn't ramble too much...I just kinda felt like I had a lot of expert advice to offer since we go so often.

~Bryan~

Upvote 0

Illmatic291

Original Poster
Well what do you recommend we stay for the Christmas season? We aren't really looking for a Deluxe because of the cost and the fact that really you can eat from anywhere. We want to stay at a moderate resort but maybe at one of the least expensive Deluxe hotels like you suggested the Wilderness Lodge. Does it seem to have been less crowded during the holidays when compared to other holiday years?

Upvote 0

shmmrname

1. You can swim or not swim at any WDW resort. No matter what resort you choose, outdoor pools may be out of the question. (Though we swam twice during our last stay in DEC/JAN)
2. CBR is just as beautiful in DEC/JAN as it is in JULY. We aren't talking about withering trees and snow here, it's FL afterall. You won't be wasting money simply because it's 60's and 70's vs 90's and up.
3. It will be BUSY. BUSY to the point where you'll be amazed at the amount of people there. It's not completely bad, as more people in the park has it's advantages too.
4. When picking a hotel, it's really very subjective. Our group LOVES the ambience/atmosphere. Even if we never swim, or don't fully take advantage of a resort's offerings, we just love having it all there. I'll always suggest WDW Resorts over off-site hotels, but the choice of Value or Moderate or even up, is really very subjective.

Upvote 0

kik4adog

Like I said...You can't go wrong with any Disney resort hotel.

However....Maybe it's just that we've been so many times. But whenever the parks are super crowded we like to stay at a hotel that has a lot of nice amenities and great atmosphere.
It's true that you can eat anywhere in Walt Disney World that you choose. And technically you can hang out at any resort that you choose to hang out at during the day as long as you're staying on Disney property.

I'm just a big advocate for Wilderness Lodge. Like I said, it's one of the lesser expensive Deluxe Resorts out there, the atmosphere is AWESOME, it's very close to Magic Kingdom, it houses the Whispering Canyon Cafe which is one of our favorite places to eat (amazing home country cooking!!), there is a gueyser that goes off every hour outside of the resort, and even an electric water pageant that parades around the lake right outside the resort. And if you get a good room with a good view you can see the fireworks from MAgic Kingdom at night.

Now let's talk Moderate Resorts. Caribbean Beach is a fine resort. I personally likes POR a lot better. I thought it had more atmosphere and I thought the ameneties were better. Maybe try Port Orleans French Quarter if you haven't stayed at tat one before.I liked it as much as POR. GREAT theming. You really feel like you're walking down the streets of New Orleans (well before Katrina that is).

But like someone else posted. It's really subjective. I'm sure you'll ahve a great time no matter what Disney resort you stay at.

I hope I was helpful.
~Bryan~

Upvote 0

Illmatic291

Original Poster
Is Port Orleans French Quarter open YET? When we went in 2003 they had to change our plans because they had to fix it. What happened there? In my latest 2005 AAA book they said that they were STILL fixing it up..

Upvote 0

ypcat

Just a note. You were saying you were looking at December because it was off season, but the dates you give are holiday season which is the most expensive times as far as resort rates. If your dates are flexable, arrive on the 19th or earlier. The rate for your entire stay would then be at the value rate rather than the holiday...saving you about $50/night at a moderate.

We stayed at WL the first week in January, and we loved it. The Christmas decorations were down at the resort when we arrived, but I hear they are amazing. The weather for us wasn't bad. Was in the high 70s/low 80s during the day. My wife got chilly at night, but you can bring a jacket or sweater with you.

EDIT: POFQ is open

Upvote 0

Leighbert

Illmatic291 said:
Is Port Orleans French Quarter open YET? When we went in 2003 they had to change our plans because they had to fix it. What happened there? In my latest 2005 AAA book they said that they were STILL fixing it up..

Yes, it's open. My family stayed there in April 2005 and are staying again in September 2006.

Upvote 0

Illmatic291

Original Poster
Thanks. Well we wanted to stay for Christmas (and my birthday 2 days later) but I guess we will have to go earlier to beat the traffic at WDW and transportation.. I just hope it is still as magical.

Upvote 0

ypcat

It will be. The Christmas decorations go up after Thanksgiving (or maybe even before?) at the parks and resorts. You'll have a great time. Even if you go earlier, no one says you can't celebrate your birthday as well as Christmas for your entire stay :sohappy:

Upvote 0

missnanse

:xmas: Okay I am going to put in my 2 cents here. First I want to say I have stayed at many of the WDW resorts from Carribean to Polynesian and must say they are all charming and magical in their own right. Carribean Beach is sweet and carefree, the rooms are regular size motel rooms but with the Disney charm that makes them so special . I also stayed at POR and what was then Dixie Landings and they also had magic. I love the New Orleans theme especially with Christmas decorations[ stayed for Thanksgiving] and Dixie was Southern charm. Food courts were fine with a lot of choices and as you said, there are plenty of restaurants at Disney. I was there for the day after Christmas through New Years Eve one year and it was crowded but the holiday atmosphere was awesome and what a New Years Eve celebration!!!! :sohappy: The weather was warm with chilly nights but my kids swam a few times, pools are heated so you can even do that. There is no bad time to visit WDW But the holidays just seem a little cheerier there. I will be there this year DEC 16-23rd, we will be staying at the Poly and will be in Island heaven, but wherever you stay just know you are at DisneyWorld . The Happiest Place on Earth and You Will have the best time of your life. Don;t change plans on any of our say so, go when you want and have a Wonderful, Magical time.:D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom