Pre-Trip December Can't Get Here Fast Enough...

Hello again, my wdwmagic fam!
It's past time for me to post this pre-trip report, but since my trip countdown is sitting at 28 days as of this morning, I figured I better do it now!
Life with two kids under the age of 6 and a crazy last couple of months at work (because of being shorthanded) can really make a Disney trip sneak up on you fast. I know - what problem to have! I'm going to blink and it will be time to start packing! So, let's jump right in to it...

Here are the particulars for our upcoming trip:

Who: Me (Jon - WDW Fanatic), Brittany (my beautiful bride of 9 years), Grant (my 5 year old son), Garasyn (my 2 year old daughter), Scott (my father in law), Pam (my mother in law) and Brooke (my sister in law).
When: December 2-8, 2017
Where: Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground
What: 6 Day Park Hoppers
How: We driving from North Carolina
Why: Why the heck not?!?

Ok, so the plan is to actually leave early on the morning of Friday December 1 and drive all the way down to St. Augustine, FL and stop for the night at a favorite little spot of ours - Stagecoach RV Park. Scott, Pam and Brooke will be driving down in Scott's F350 pulling a 40 foot Fifth Wheel Camper, which we will be calling home for a week. Brittany, the kids and I will be following closely behind. I figured if we need to make a pit stop really quick, it won't be too hard to catch up with them. We are going to try to be as laid back as possible on this trip, so that's why we made Friday nothing but a travel day. We will take our time getting to St. Augustine, grab some dinner at a local establishment and probably crash early so we can get up and finish the trip to Walt Disney World first thing on Saturday morning. WDW is almost exactly 2 hours from St. Augustine, so the plan is to be pulling into our Preferred campsite at Fort Wilderness before (or around) lunch time. Hopefully the site will be ready in the loop we requested, which is closest to the marina. After setting up, the plan is to explore the gloriousness that is Fort Wilderness, hit the trading post and then hop a boat to the Contemporary Resort. Once we arrive at the Contemporary, we're going to resort hop along the monorail loop to look at all the Christmas decorations, etc at the Poly and Grand Flo. We don't have park tickets for Saturday because, like I said, the plan is to take it slow (at least at the beginning) and plus we have 6:15pm ADR's at one of our favorites... the Hoop Dee Doo Revue! If you've never done this dinner show, you're missing out! Sure, it' a little cheesy, but I promise you will laugh and leave with a belly full of delicious food.
The Magic Kingdom is open until midnight on that night, so I'm trying my best to convince everyone that it will be worth it to add an extra day to the park hoppers! It's like $20 a person for a night in the MK!! Come on, people, it's totally worth it! It's probably smarter to just chill after dinner and get to bed at a decent time so everyone can be rested up for our first day in the parks on Sunday. We'll see. Right now, I'll just say that Saturday night is TDB...

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Here is our tentative itinerary. We will see how closely we can stick to it throughout the week. I miss the days of the paper FastPass SO MUCH!! Oh well, gotta change with the times I guess...

Sunday December 3 - Magic Kingdom
FastPass+
Space Mountain (11:30), Splash Mountain (12:45), Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (3:40)

The plan is to rope drop the MK, staring with Fantasyland for the kids. The shorter the waits the better with the little ones! We will probably hit Peter Pan's Flight first, then 7DMT and play it by ear from there until our FP+ start. I know we have park hoppers, but we are going to stay in the MK all day today and just let the kids play and soak it all in. And by kids I mean me. Haha.

Monday December 4 - Hollywood Studios / Disney Springs
FastPass+
Toy Story Mania (10:25), Tower of Terror (11:40), Star Tours (2:50)

We're not going to be in a huge hurry on this morning since DHS has so few attractions right now. So, we are going to take our time and get to the park around the time to start using our FastPasses. We will do all the shows and hit RNRC in the single rider line a few times before heading over to Disney Springs for our 6:00pm ADR at T-Rex! This is a surprise for Grant as he LOVES Dinosaurs! He has no idea and he's gonna LOVE it!

Tuesday December 5 - Animal Kingdom / Epcot
FastPass+
Expedition Everest (11:20), Flight of Passage (12:30), Kilimangaro Safaris (7:00pm)

This morning is going to be a different story. I want to be at the park at least 30 minutes to an hour before rope drop so we can hit both of the new Pandora rides and check out the land before it gets nuts. If all goes as planned, we will be able to ride FoP twice this day along with everything else we want to do. Once again, not park hopping, but it's ok. That option is always there if plans change.
Hopefully I can put the kids to bed, bribe the in-laws and sneak over to Epcot for evening EMH until 11:30pm...

Wednesday December 6 - Epcot / Magic Kingdom
FastPass+
Spaceship Earth (11:50), Frozen Ever After (12:50), Seas with Nemo and Friends (3:05)

Again, the plan is to rope drop Epcot on this morning. I LOVE Epcot, but nobody else in my party is a huge fan, so I want to take advantage of my only real Epcot day...
We have 6:55pm ADR's at 'Ohana tonight! My favorite!!
After that, the plan is to put the kids to bed and for Brittany, Brooke and I to head back to the MK to close it down! It's open until 1:00am! My favorite time to be in the parks is a night! SO magical...

Thursday December 7 - Magic Kingdom
FastPass+
Big Thunder Mountain (9:50), Seven Dwarfs (11:50), Peter Pan (3:05)

Hopefully we can sleep in a little this morning because we probably won't get to sleep until after 2:00am by the time we get back from the MK. Disney transportation... We will hit all the favorites and make the most of our last day in the MK for this trip... Oh yeah, we have 1:10pm lunch ADR's at Be Our Guest! So hard to get, but I got up at the crack of dawn at the 180 day mark to make sure we got this reservation. You're welcome, family.

Friday December 8 - Animal Kingdom / Hollywood Studios / Epcot
FastPass+
Kilimangaro Safaris (9:55), Flight of Passage (11:40), Dinosaur (12:55)

Our last day at WDW... always an exciting and sad day.
We use this day to park hop as much as possible and hit all of our favorites one last time.

Saturday December 9 -

Travel Day from Florida back to NC

Thanks for following along so far. Follow me on social media for updates...
Instagram & Twitter @jonclendenin

krause

Following along! We are going in February with a very similar group of people - me, husband, 2 small kids (2.5 years and 5 months) and then my parents and my sister! Do you usually do child swap at all? That’s how we plan to get lots of turns on FoP :)

amjt660

Premium Member
I hope the crowds and the weather are good for you
(after Thanksgiving but not too close to Christmas should be good)

Following along

Max

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Following along! We are going in February with a very similar group of people - me, husband, 2 small kids (2.5 years and 5 months) and then my parents and my sister! Do you usually do child swap at all? That’s how we plan to get lots of turns on FoP :)

Nice! We have been by ourselves before but there is nothing like going with a big group!
We have never done child swap. My In-Laws don't ride many attractions, so they are always more than happy to watch the kids or take them on a less thrilling ride. Also, we do "Magic Band swap" so Brooke, Brittany and I usually get to ride the thrill rides at least twice with FP+... ;)
This trip though, Grant will be tall enough to ride most everything - so I can't wait to take him on some of my favorites!!

Last edited:

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Maybe you can have the in- laws watch the kids on your first night at Disney and you and your wife can have date night in a park.

Great idea! They usually do offer at least once per trip to take the kids back so we can have some adult time in the parks.
I'm planning on dropping some hints about Wednesday night since the MK is open until 1am...

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
I hope the crowds and the weather are good for you
(after Thanksgiving but not too close to Christmas should be good)

Following along

Max

Thanks! We've been during this same week before (2010 I believe) and the crowds weren't terrible, but it was freezing. I'm hoping for good weather and light crowds with Thanksgiving just being over and people hopefully not wanting to take their kids out of school between two holidays. There is nothing like Christmastime in a Disney Park!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom