December 2002: Is it a good time?

Chris_Avonlea

my wife and i went to WDW last spring and had a great time. we are thinking about going back this december, but i was wondering if the "holiday events" are worth the trip at that time of the year. anyone gone to the Christmas Party?

Chris_Avonlea

Original Poster
my first post got moved because i was not smart enough to post it in the proper place. :(

next time, i will be wise and post properly. this is a very spiffy place you have here. :animwink:

Upvote 0

Bobcat

December.....

After venturing down year after year in May, last year we decided to take our son (11 months) in December for a quick little 4 night trip, it was great!

The weather was good, the parks weren't that crowded, plus if you go before Christmas, it's normall considered value season, they offer some nice rates at various on-site properties.

The holiday fun starts right around Thanksgiving so the window of opportunity to see the various decorations and to enjoy the holiday atmosphere is a good one!

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is a pretty nice take.

We're heading back down in a couple of weeks, but our AP expires the 12th of December and we may try to squeeze an late November/early December quick trip. It's well worth it.

I hope this helps.

Take care

Bob

Upvote 0

Figaro

It's always a great time to go in December. If you stay away from Christmas/New Years week, it's really uncrowded. The decorations are beautiful. The whole atmosphere seems a little different. Everything seems even more magical!

Upvote 0

old camper

There is no better time to go to WDW than December!!
The whole place is decorated to the "9's" and there are so many special events that this is virtually the only time my wife and I go.
If you go camping at Fort Wilderness bring all the lights you like because most of the campers decorate their sites (some are quite elaborate).:xmasmile: :xmasmile: :xmasmile: :xmasmile:

Upvote 0

SJTSmith

Going in December is a must. We try to go every December. The weather is great and the decorations are wonderful. I would have to say December is the best time of the year to go. You have to go atleast once during December.
:xmasmile:

Upvote 0

Chris_Avonlea

Original Poster
wow, thank you all for the quick information. i think it would be a hoot to go during the holiday season, we are thinking the first or second week of december.

however, do you know if they holiday events are pretty much "set in stone?" i called WDW yesterday and asked about dates in december and they said that they had nothing posted yet.

one more thing i am curious about: last time, we stayed at the all star music resort, which was fine because we were really never in our room except to sleep.

however, this time, we thought we might try a more upscale place.

is the price of the floridian worth the extras?

Upvote 0

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
Its one of the best times to go. I went the week of 16-22nd. Absoultly great weather (it didnt go past 80). And the decorations are spectacular. You can check my website for holiday pictures. If you want to spend a little more on your room try Port Orleans Riverside. ITs a great resort. Gives your trip a laid back feeling. And the grounds are huge and beautiful. You can give me a PM and I'll help you out.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

We went last year Dec (it seems so long ago now, just a few months really). This was the first time that we didn't go in March. Dec 13-20 was great. Weather was wonderful, decorations great, low crowds, got a great price on Poly and everything was just magicall. We did not pay for the christmas party since we had a 8 1/2 month old that needed to go to bed so, but every night at 9:00 there was the best view of the fireworks from MK on the beach at poly. We plan to go again Dec 2003 and I think we will try the Christmas party then. Does anyone know if you have to also buy a park ticket or can you only go the the party and not go the parks during the day?

Everyone should try WDW at least once in Dec, but not the week between Christmas and New Years!:lol:

Upvote 0

TURKEY

The weather is usually pretty warm in Early December, but it can get pretty cool as well especially at night.

The crowds before Christmas/New Year's are pretty light and very managable.

The events are pretty much set in stone. They know what's going on more than likely. However its still too far off to know exact dates of things like Mickey's Christmas Party, who will nararate when for the Candlelight Processional at Epcot.

The one thing that you may miss out on your trip is Mickey's Christmas Party, everything else is nightly.

If staying in a moderate or deluxe resort means sacrificing several days stay on your vacaction, I would stay at the All-Stars. I would try and stay at Port Orleans if you can afford to stay the same length of your stay as you could at the All-Stars.

Upvote 0

disneyfan123

xmas time at the world

Hello and welcome to the boards!

The first time i went to WDW was in 1995 and we stayed over the christmas break. We have been back five times since.... and in my opinion staying at WDW for christmas was the most magical time. It was wonderful...we were lucky enough to get tickets for 'Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party' this was great, the parade was fantasmic and it snows on Main Street!!!!!! We also saw the lights being turned on at Epcot which was great. The decorations are fab throughout the world.

I would definitely recommend going to Disney for over the world. If you can afford it i would stay at one of the Disney resorts (my one regret..we have always stayed offsite on I-Drive....still great thou')

Hope that helps!

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:
*only 79 days to go*

Upvote 0

bvolguards

ACTUALLY THE FIRST TWO WEEKS IN DECEMBER IS ONE OF THE BEST TIMES TO GO.....I GO THAT TIME OF YEAR EVERY YEAR....ITS COOL BECAUSE ITS NOT HOT, ALL THE HLOIDAY DECORATIONS ARE UP, THE PARKS ARE OPEN LATER AND MOST IMPORTANTLY ITS NOT CROWDED AT ALL AND YOU CAN USUALLY GET ROOMS ON SITE FOR NOT ALOT OF $.......LAST YEAR (2001) WE STAYED AT THE CARRIBEAN BEACH RESORT FOR 89 BUCKS A NIGHT FROM DECEMBER 7TH TO THE 12TH

AND MICKEYS CHRISTMAS PARTY IS REALLY COOL

SO TO SUM UP.....I WOULD DEFINITLY ADVISE GOING IN DEC. JUST MAKE SURE ITS IN THE FIRST TWO WEEKS

Upvote 0

Camelot

For the past two years in a row, my friends and I have gone to WDW in early December ( 5-12th) and can support all of the great things the others have already posted about going at that time of the year.
The weather was great, and the Christmas decorations are really a great way to get you into the holiday spirit. :)

Upvote 0

Wahoo2424

My family went the week between Christmas and New Year's. I would have to say that going then would be one of my favorite Disney trips. The decorations are amazing. It was great to see the Christmas parade in person (we had been watching and taping them on TV for as long as I can remember). It was great to be down there with not only people who were there for the holidays, but also with those people in Florida for the bowl games.

One suggestion though: if you are going to see the Candlelight Procession, either plan on getting there extremely early, or purchase one of the dinner plans. We didn't get a seat because we were late, but the show is amazing (I purchased the CD and listen to it all the time).

Upvote 0

McArcDes

We are going down and staying at the Grand Floridian from Dec. 4th to 8th this year and it is costing us about $2500.00 for the Resort Magic plan. We are a family of six 2 adults with kids 11, 9, 4 and 2. That does not include airfare, food or spending.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

dalton30720

We were at WDW during this past New Year's. We had a blast! The decorations at the resorts were wonderful. Here are a few added attractions during the Christmas season that are a must-see:

Magic Kingdom -
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parade
Country Bear Jamboree Christmas Show

Epcot -
Holidays Around the World / Holiday Storytellers
Candlelight Processional

Studios -
Osbourne Spectacle of Lights

Upvote 0

Chris_Avonlea

Original Poster
Originally posted by McArcDes
We are going down and staying at the Grand Floridian from Dec. 4th to 8th this year and it is costing us about $2500.00 for the Resort Magic plan. We are a family of six 2 adults with kids 11, 9, 4 and 2. That does not include airfare, food or spending.

Hope this helps.

have you stayed at the floridian before? we are thinking about going there ourselves.
:)

Upvote 0

MinnieFan

have you stayed at the floridian before? we are thinking about going there ourselves.
:) [/B][/QUOTE]

I have stayed at the GF twice and it was wonderful each time. It is my all time favorite.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom