Dec. or Jan.?

NMPTheatre

Hello everyone! I'm new to the boards! Hope everyone is doing fine and dandy. We're thinking of a WDW excursion in December leaving either the 19th or 20th and coming back prior to the Christmas rush. Is that a good time to go still or is the Christmas rush start around then? We may possibly be able to go the first part of January too. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks! -- Michael

Welcome!

WDW extends its hours that week before Xmas. So, you can expect it to be fairly busy. Nothing like the week between Xmas and New Years, but still busy. It would be nice to see the holiday decorations.....

January would definitely be less busy, but with decreased hours as well and no holiday decorations.....

Tough decision. Good luck

Upvote 0

Mom's the word

Crowds versus a relaxing time in the parks? I'd take January. Even with shorter hours you will have a great visit, short lines and a nice pick-me-up after the holiday rush.

Upvote 0

jojoyner55

I have been at Christmas twice because of family desires, and wouldn't recommend it. The crowds, even the week before, are at their worst. If you can swing January instead, do it!

Upvote 0

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Welcome to the forums!

You'll see higher crowd levels before Christmas than in early January. The Christmas (I refuse to call it 'holiday theming' ;) ) theming should still be up at that time also. Park hours will most likely be similar, also.

Do you have any overriding criteria that could be considered to help make the decision - money, airfare, etc.?

Upvote 0

swimmom

Since I've never seen the holiday decorations and we are going the week before Christmas, I'm biased to say go in December. I've been at all different times of the year, and I'm prepared for the crowds. However, if you don't want to deal with the crowd factor, I would suggest January.

Upvote 0

lukacseven

Speaking from experience, going those dates in Decmeber will yield larger crowds than you'd normally expect. If possible, you might want to consider the previous week, as crowds are much smaller. Christmas decorations are usually up the weekend following Thanksgiving. As far as January goes, the only negative I experienced was on one occasion the weather was unusually cool (in the 40's), but crowds were minimal, still had a great time.

Upvote 0

NMPTheatre

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks

Thanks so much for all the replies! You're all great and we appreciate it. We'll definitely choose January then--we're less crowds kinda people, though it would be nice to see the decorations. We're also cost conscience so we'd like to take advantage of the off-season rates. Now, next question--stay on property or off? We stayed at the All Star Music last time (Nov. 2001). It was all right, but beyond the the free transporation, I didn't see any other advantage to staying on property (they didn't have the early entry any more). Comments my fine friends? Thanks!!! -- Michael

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

Stay on property for sure, but maybe move to a moderate level resort. All Stars does not evoke nearly the atmosphere that at least a moderate can. Riverside is a great one to stay at as a moderate and Wilderness Lodge is great for a deluxe. We just returned last month from our stay there. The early admission is back again. I think you have to at least try a moderate this time. If you do not like those, then you can decide on staying off property on your next trip but I would give staying on property another chance. Besides, with those winter rates out for January you can get some excellent deals at the moderates and deluxes. :)

Upvote 0

doop

I would choose the first to weeks of december, and yes stay on property, it is one of the most magical things you will ever experience. Welcome to the boards and have a good trip!

Upvote 0

NMPTheatre

Original Poster
Thanks again! More questions!

Thanks again everyone (again!)! I appreciate the help! Now... a couple more questions... We're looking at going now prob.Jan.3 or 4th for about a week. Would the crowds be really light that quickly after Christmas/New Years? Or would it be better to wait till the following week. Also, regarding the Moderates--what's the lowest prices you've seen them get too? We're really hoping not to spend more than $80 or $90 a night. Thanks again you Wonderful Disney People You! -- Michael

Upvote 0

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yes, crowds should be down significantly by then, especially since New Year's falls on a Saturday. You'll want to keep an eye on the boards here to see if there are any deals posted, or else head over to www.mousesavers.com and check there for discount codes for rooms.

Upvote 0

lukacseven

On one occasion I flew down on Jan. 2 and the crowds were not bad at all. A few of the e-rides had waits of up to 45 minutes during the peak hours, but I think that was about the extent of it.

Upvote 0
Winter codes are out for the WDW resorts. You can do a search a find the threads that have the codes indicated. I did check www.disneyworld.com and you can get a room at CSR for 111 including tax.....not bad for a moderate. The values of course would be more within your budget, but it may be worth it to upgrade to a moderate if you weren't impressed with the all-star resorts. Oh..if you couldn't tell, I would recommend staying onsite vs off site.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom