Dec. or Jan...Better time to go?

LuciferKitty

We are trying to nail down our vacation dates for our next eagerly-anticipated WDW trip! I have a feeling I know the answer to this question, but is there a drastic difference between crowd levels when comparing the following dates:
12/14-12/21, or 1/6-1/13? And also, I know the Christmas decorations typically go up in late November, but when do they typically come down? Thanks in advance!

reptar77

The decorations come down after the 1st I believe. Based on the dates you gave the crowd level will typically be the same. Maybe a little busier towards the end of your Dec times. I would go in Dec and see the decorations.

As a side note: We typically vacation around that Dec time and it really isn't horrible.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

In 2002, we went Jan 1-6. The decorations were in the process of coming down, but we saw quite a few. However, in your time frame they will mostly be gone, I would guess.

Crowds were non-existant. We walked on most everything, or waited one ride cycle. It was wonderful

It was also cold. The day we arrived it was 75 degrees, and the day we left the high was to be 80.
The days we were there the highs hovered around 53. (The citrus crops were damaged that week.)
We had our winter coats, because we had come from Kansas, and we wore them all week. I was glad to have gloves at night.

If you choose January, check weather reports before you go. You will not regret putting a pair of gloves in your bag just in case. I love those super stretchy ones that sell around here for $1. Those same gloves with a Mickey on them will be $7 at WDW.

Like I said, it was a freak thing for Florida in January. It could also be that cold during December. Just check the weather and plan accordingly.

Upvote 0
If you come down in Dec, the crowds are just starting to ramp up ... it's the week after that it's like Mardi Gras but without the beads ... the advantage to coming in Dec is that you will see all the X-mas lights and decorations .. if you haven't done so, it is something special ... if you come in Jan, the advantage is that you won;t have to wait so long for the "big" rides ... so either week has it's advantages and disadvantages ...

Upvote 0

sorceresssamara

I've been during both months. If you want to do all the Christamas/Holiday stuff I would go in December. However, I do believe the dates you could go would be when the parks would start being more crowded. If you wanted to go when the parks are least crowded January would be your best bet.

When I went in January we were able to literally walk on to most of the rides I think the longest we had to wait was 10 minutes.

So pretty much it all depends on what sites you want to see and how you feel about crowds.

Upvote 0

Cinderella1976

In my opinion, December is the BEST time of year to go :xmas: So much to see and do. If you do decide to go in December, try to get tickets for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

I think the marathon is the second weekend in January. Isn't it pretty crowded the week leading up to the marathon?

When we went in 2002, we left on Marathon day. (It was really fun to watch them running through the Studios.)

I didn't notice more crowds leading up to the race; perhaps the runners planned on going to the parks afterwards.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom