Deadpool 3 - Use the other Deadpool and Wolverine Thread please.

Lucky Rabbit

Yes but we're talking now not over a year ago which is when everything was up in the air. While 2020 has brought us a pause in releases of new MCU content, the news out of Marvel has not. We've been getting constant news this whole year.
I get that but Venom 2 wrapped a while ago (which is why I mentioned it filming during the negotiations). Maybe they’ll do re-shoots to add stuff but Tom has been busy filming other projects.

Again all your points are valid, but we know the movie filmed in 2019. I’m assuming it was written earlier that year or 2018. I’m just not expecting it to react to the current deal, if at all. Maybe they could film a post-credit scene during Spidey 3 to put at the end of Venom 2 (assuming Tom didn’t film something back then).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I get that but Venom 2 wrapped a while ago (which is why I mentioned it filming during the negotiations). Maybe they’ll do re-shoots to add stuff but Tom has been busy filming other projects.

Again all your points are valid, but we know the movie filmed in 2019. I’m assuming it was written earlier that year or 2018. I’m just not expecting it to react to the current deal, if at all. Maybe they could film a post-credit scene during Spidey 3 to put at the end of Venom 2 (assuming Tom didn’t film something back then).
Well we'll just have to wait and see when its released.

Lucky Rabbit

Feige confirming what's long been debated:

Collider’s own Steve Weintraub recently spoke with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige in anticipation of Marvel’s first Disney+ series WandaVision, and during their conversation Feig gave a promising update on Deadpool 3, revealed when filming will begin, and most importantly, confirmed the sequel will be part of the MCU.

That’s right. When Deadpool 3 happens, it won’t be as some tangentially related property with a couple of jokes about the MCU. Ryan Reynolds’ foul-mouthed mercenary is officially joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe – and he’ll be keeping his R-rating. Feige said sisters Lizzie Molyneux-Loeglin and Wendy Molyneux are hard at work on the script with Reynolds overseeing, but Deadpool 3 filming won’t begin until 2022 at the earliest:

“It will be rated R and we are working on a script right now, and Ryan’s overseeing a script right now… It will not be [filming] this year. Ryan is a very busy, very successful actor. We’ve got a number of things we’ve already announced that we now have to make, but it’s exciting for it to have begun. Again, a very different type of character in the MCU, and Ryan is a force of nature, which is just awesome to see him bring that character to life.”

doctornick

I think that it’s a bad idea to make Deadpool part of the MCU and Marvel seems to be doing a lot of stuff I think are not ideal with upcoming projects. That said I do trust Feige and will reserve judgment until I see the finished products

erasure fan1

I think that it’s a bad idea to make Deadpool part of the MCU and Marvel seems to be doing a lot of stuff I think are not ideal with upcoming projects. That said I do trust Feige and will reserve judgment until I see the finished products
In my opinion, I love the idea. I think Feige and the Marvel team can definitely make it work. My only issue could be the Deadpool standalone movies. They said it would still be R. So it might be a problem having a spider-man or another kid friendly character show up. You could then have issues with people getting upset their kids can't see their favorite hero.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
In my opinion, I love the idea. I think Feige and the Marvel team can definitely make it work. My only issue could be the Deadpool standalone movies. They said it would still be R. So it might be a problem having a spider-man or another kid friendly character show up. You could then have issues with people getting upset their kids can't see their favorite hero.
How did parents manage when Logan came out as R-rated?

Darkprime

Out of all the Fox properties transitioning to the MCU this is the one I'm most curious about. You can kind of picture what f4 and x-men will be like. But Deadpool? Man anything is on the table imo. Are they gonna change Deadpool's look in anyway. How r-rated is it going to be? Are they gonna go hard r with or just enough vulgar language to get an r-rating. Who knows.

I bet a small number of them probably still let them see it.

erasure fan1

Don't misinterpret that I think it's actually a problem. But you can bet that the PC squad will be all up in arms if spider-man was in an R rated movie, and they can't take their kid to see it. And we all know how Disney responds to the PC crowd.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Don't misinterpret that I think it's actually a problem. But you can bet that the PC squad will be all up in arms if spider-man man was in an R rated movie, and they can't take their kid to see it. And we all know how Disney responds to the PC crowd.
I don't believe their was a PC squad attacking Fox/Marvel over Logan.

erasure fan1

I don't believe their was a PC squad attacking Fox/Marvel over Logan.
There was plenty of, super hero movies shouldn't be R rated with Deadpool and Logan. But I still think you are missing my point. The issue isn't an R movie. It's an R movie with one of the very kid friendly characters. Deadpool is established now as an R rated character, Spider-Man or hulk or Thor are not. But again, if there was going to be an issue with him coming into the MCU, that would be it in my opinion. But I personally think there are zero issues.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There was plenty of, super hero movies shouldn't be R rated with Deadpool and Logan. But I still think you are missing my point. The issue isn't an R movie. It's an R movie with one of the very kid friendly characters. Deadpool is established now as an R rated character, Spider-Man or hulk or Thor are not. But again, if there was going to be an issue with him coming into the MCU, that would be it in my opinion. But I personally think there are zero issues.
In my opinion you're always going to have the "superhero movies shouldn't be R rated" crowd. However I think those "complaints" will be minimal in respect to any new DP movie. The most vocal crowd regarding DP since Disney took over has always been the complaint of the potential "Disnification" of the character. We now know that is largely not going to happen, at least in the standalone films.

As far as Spidey or any other Avenger being added into DP 3, I don't see it being an issue. We've seen more and more movement by Feige to make the MCU darker. By the time DP 3 comes around (potentially 5 years from now at this point) the "public" at large is going to be used to a more dark tone and more adult content in the MCU. So any complaints of "kid friendly" characters being in DP 3 will be limited in my opinion.

khlaylav

In my opinion you're always going to have the "superhero movies shouldn't be R rated" crowd. However I think those "complaints" will be minimal in respect to any new DP movie. The most vocal crowd regarding DP since Disney took over has always been the complaint of the potential "Disnification" of the character. We now know that is largely not going to happen, at least in the standalone films.

As far as Spidey or any other Avenger being added into DP 3, I don't see it being an issue. We've seen more and more movement by Feige to make the MCU darker. By the time DP 3 comes around (potentially 5 years from now at this point) the "public" at large is going to be used to a more dark tone and more adult content in the MCU. So any complaints of "kid friendly" characters being in DP 3 will be limited in my opinion.
I think the age of the characters would have something to do with that as well. Tom Holland may be 24, but he's so young looking that he does fit in well with the high school focus of the Spider-Man movies. If they did it now, it'd feel uncomfortable. In a few years/movies, if the character has grown up and is either in or graduated college? That'd be a little more palatable to the general audience I think.

I also think depending on the tone of the film/book, it'd work. Look at what's happening in the comics with Hulk-you're not going to recommend Immortal Hulk to a young kid, or even King in Black which is the current crossover. Something like Wanda/Vision probably isn't going to be super family friendly or all ages either.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think the age of the characters would have something to do with that as well. Tom Holland may be 24, but he's so young looking that he does fit in well with the high school focus of the Spider-Man movies. If they did it now, it'd feel uncomfortable. In a few years/movies, if the character has grown up and is either in or graduated college? That'd be a little more palatable to the general audience I think.

I also think depending on the tone of the film/book, it'd work. Look at what's happening in the comics with Hulk-you're not going to recommend Immortal Hulk to a young kid, or even King in Black which is the current crossover. Something like Wanda/Vision probably isn't going to be super family friendly or all ages either.
Agree with you. The rumor at this point is that Spider-Man 3 will have Peter in his senior year of HS, with the latest Marvel/Sony deal adding additional films that would put him in college. So by the time DP3 comes out Peter would be in his mid 20s. So no longer a kid, allowing for more adult themes to be played out in DP3. That is if Peter is even in DP3 to begin with.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Following the box-office success of Free Guy and critical acclaim of The Adam Project, director Shawn Levy and Ryan Reynolds are now looking for the hat trick as Levy is now in negotiations to direct Marvel’s Deadpool 3. Reynolds is set to star Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick are penning the script. Wendy Molyneux and Lizzie Molyneux-Logelin penned a previous draft.

This marks the first Deadpool film where Marvel Studios will work hand and hand with Reynolds and Team Deadpool. Fans are sure to be excited at Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige’s involvement after seeing how he helped revamp the Spider-Man franchise after coming on to help in the creative effort for that franchise."

Tony Perkis

"Following the box-office success of Free Guy and critical acclaim of The Adam Project, director Shawn Levy and Ryan Reynolds are now looking for the hat trick as Levy is now in negotiations to direct Marvel’s Deadpool 3. Reynolds is set to star Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick are penning the script. Wendy Molyneux and Lizzie Molyneux-Logelin penned a previous draft.

This marks the first Deadpool film where Marvel Studios will work hand and hand with Reynolds and Team Deadpool. Fans are sure to be excited at Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige’s involvement after seeing how he helped revamp the Spider-Man franchise after coming on to help in the creative effort for that franchise."

Don’t like this. I think Shawn Levy has a strong wheelhouse he likes to play in, but R-rated meta isn’t one of them. This reeks of PG-13 Deadpool.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
So, “Deadpool 3” is staying R-Rated I asked point-blank? “Oh, absolutely,” Reese said, indicating nothing’s changed in that regard. “They’re not gonna mess with the tone. I mean, I’d never say never, I guess there’s an outside chance, but we’ve always been told it can be R-[rated], and we’re proceeding as if it’s R. We would like it to be R, we always have, so I don’t think that’ll change.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So, “Deadpool 3” is staying R-Rated I asked point-blank? “Oh, absolutely,” Reese said, indicating nothing’s changed in that regard. “They’re not gonna mess with the tone. I mean, I’d never say never, I guess there’s an outside chance, but we’ve always been told it can be R-[rated], and we’re proceeding as if it’s R. We would like it to be R, we always have, so I don’t think that’ll change.

Still don't know why this is even a concern or question at this point. Its been said all along its going to be R-rated. I know some still just don't think Disney is willing to pull the trigger on an R-rated MCU movie. But its clear based on recent actions they are more than willing to get into the more adult darker themes in the MCU. Not to mention the move to add the Netflix Marvel shows to D+ which are clearly more on the R-rated side.

But I guess until its released as R-rated some just won't be convinced. Heck even after its released as R-rated some still won't believe it and just assume its still a sanitized version of an R-rated Deadpool.

Lucky Rabbit

I’ll be curious as to when Deadpool 3 starts filming. Blade starts filming in July. So they’re probably the only options for the TBA November 2023 slot.

We have learned that Deadpool 3 is perhaps deeper into its development than you may think, as our sources say that Shawn Levy and Marvel Studios are already hiring the main production crew for the sequel, including the addition of Raymond Chan as the film’s production designer.

Raymond Chan has served as supervising art director on various MCU projects including Thor: The Dark World, Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, Avengers: Infinity War, and Avengers: Endgame, receiving an award from the Art Directors Guild for his work in the franchise, specifically on Guardians of the Galaxy. Chan has also served as supervising art director on Alfonso Cuarón’s Children of Men and Ridley Scott’s Robin Hood.

Lucky Rabbit

Comparing it to Civil War and Ragnorak? Sounds like they’re going big.

One film not discussed during the Hall H panel was Deadpool 3, which will be the first R-rated film in the MCU’s history and follows star Ryan Reynolds’ previous projects at Fox. Feige noted the studio historically takes big swings with part threes. “How do we elevate it in the way we’ve been able to with Civil War, and Infinity War and Ragnarok?” said Feige. “It’s very fun to be in the world of the Ryan Reynolds show.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom