DDP: Not worth it for 2010?

durangojim

Due to the increase in the DDP prices for next year, especially the increases during peak season (specifically Less then $47 per adult (ages 10+) $13 per child (age 3-9) per night above the cost of the Magic Your Way Package for travel dates: 2/12/10 – 4/10/10 ; 6/04/10 – 8/14/10 ; 12/17/10 – 12/31/10), has the DDP not become worth the price?

Also does anyone think this means food prices are going up next year too?

:mad: oh yeah, if the DDP is going up by $6. then food all around will reflect that change. Did they say what the QS plan would be? We always have 1 sit down a day there but I might have to rethink that. I wonder if many people will do the same.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would expect food prices to rise as well so in the grand scheme of things it will be a wash. If it was a value to you before it will remain to be a value to you in the future.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I've never seen the value in it unless it as free and there were no room discounts that were better. I'll never pay for DDP and it's likely to be rare that I take it for free.

Upvote 0

cblodg

^^^
Wow.

We did the DDP for the first time on our last trip and loved it! Granted, we didn't really use it the 'right' way and used our sit downs as breakfasts a couple of times so it didn't really work great, except for days that we had a dinner sit down meal.

We're still planning on using it for our December 2010 trip.

Upvote 0

durangojim

Original Poster
^^^
Wow.

We did the DDP for the first time on our last trip and loved it! Granted, we didn't really use it the 'right' way and used our sit downs as breakfasts a couple of times so it didn't really work great, except for days that we had a dinner sit down meal.

I find this statement interesting. Do you just like the convenience of it? Do you order appetizers or alcoholic beverages? Just trying to figure out why you would use it again.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
^^^
Wow.

Not all that "wow"-worthy... I prefer to eat more TS than DDP provides and rarely eat QS. My trip in a couple of weeks I'm getting 40% off a water-view room at Beach Club, paying rack rate instead to get "free" DDP would cost me a fortune. IMO the only value of DDP is to attract people who would otherwise stay off-site into the Disney resorts, from a cost-effectiveness standpoint [doing it the 'right' way as you put it], it is too much work to get value out of by itself, but any room discount is likely to save you more than what you'll save on food with DDP.

Upvote 0

KingdomHeart

I love it, and as we get really into figuring out where to eat (where we want to/how to get the best value, etc) we will still be using it, because it's still, for us, a discount.
-Nicholas

Upvote 0

durangojim

Original Poster
Not all that "wow"-worthy... I prefer to eat more TS than DDP provides and rarely eat QS. My trip in a couple of weeks I'm getting 40% off a water-view room at Beach Club, paying rack rate instead to get "free" DDP would cost me a fortune. IMO the only value of DDP is to attract people who would otherwise stay off-site into the Disney resorts, from a cost-effectiveness standpoint [doing it the 'right' way as you put it], it is too much work to get value out of by itself, but any room discount is likely to save you more than what you'll save on food with DDP.

Sounds like our upcoming trip. We're staying at the BC with 40% off, and it's saving us well over $1000 for the time we're there. Add the Tables in Wonderland, and DDP doesn't make sense. It will be interesting to see how much food prices increase next year though.

Upvote 0

Mr Toad

We always get the DDP. We use the QS for all lunches and TS for all dinners. Always works for us. We enjoy eating big meals all over WDW. Its part of the fun of going there. But this past trip we used the new QS plan b/c we stayed at ASMovies. I'd rather prepay my meals then actually add another line to my budget for my WDW trip.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
We always get the DDP. We use the QS for all lunches and TS for all dinners. Always works for us. We enjoy eating big meals all over WDW. Its part of the fun of going there. But this past trip we used the new QS plan b/c we stayed at ASMovies. I'd rather prepay my meals then actually add another line to my budget for my WDW trip.
That makes sense to me, if that's what you prefer. I don't specifically budget for WDW, I go when I can afford to go and spend what I spend [I realize I'm probably in a minority in that regard]. The monetary 'value' of DDP will never work for me, but I can appreciate the convenience 'value' for those who want it for that.

My only question is whether you've compared the cost to what room discounts have been available when you've gone? With the exception of peak attendance periods, there are almost always some form of discount available and I've never been able to justify the cost of DDP even when it's 'free'.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That makes sense to me, if that's what you prefer. I don't specifically budget for WDW, I go when I can afford to go and spend what I spend [I realize I'm probably in a minority in that regard]. The monetary 'value' of DDP will never work for me, but I can appreciate the convenience 'value' for those who want it for that.

My only question is whether you've compared the cost to what room discounts have been available when you've gone? With the exception of peak attendance periods, there are almost always some form of discount available and I've never been able to justify the cost of DDP even when it's 'free'.
Most people do not do this and I think Disney counts on it to a certain point. People, in spite of being told time and time again that nothing is free, just love that word when it is used in advertising. Supermarkets figured out long ago that if you mark a $2 item down to $1.75 it will increase sales but if you take the same item and charge $3.50 for it and put the words "buy one get one free" on it you will not be able to keep your shelves stocked. Disney does the same thing with free dining and the 4/3 deal. They hope the hype will hide the math and for the most part it does.

The reality is that free dining will get you a $42/day discount for each adult and $11/day discount for each child under 10 in your party. For a family of 4 with 2 kids staying at a value resort @ $125/ night this promotion was a no brainier. The water starts becoming a bit more murky when you went up in resort level and/or reduced the party size.

In your particular case, 2 adults with AP's at a deluxe resort, free dining would never be a value if a room only discount was available.

Upvote 0

durangojim

Original Poster
Most people do not do this and I think Disney counts on it to a certain point. People, in spite of being told time and time again that nothing is free, just love that word when it is used in advertising. Supermarkets figured out long ago that if you mark a $2 item down to $1.75 it will increase sales but if you take the same item and charge $3.50 for it and put the words "buy one get one free" on it you will not be able to keep your shelves stocked. Disney does the same thing with free dining and the 4/3 deal. They hope the hype will hide the math and for the most part it does.

The reality is that free dining will get you a $42/day discount for each adult and $11/day discount for each child under 10 in your party. For a family of 4 with 2 kids staying at a value resort @ $125/ night this promotion was a no brainier. The water starts becoming a bit more murky when you went up in resort level and/or reduced the party size.

In your particular case, 2 adults with AP's at a deluxe resort, free dining would never be a value if a room only discount was available.

Very true. Nice post.

Upvote 0

cblodg

I find this statement interesting. Do you just like the convenience of it? Do you order appetizers or alcoholic beverages? Just trying to figure out why you would use it again.

It is indeed the convenience. We don't do alcoholic beverages. When used 'right' the DDP actually worked quite well for us.

Upvote 0

cblodg

I should have probably mentioned that we are DVC. So in essence, it works quite well for us.

Upvote 0

jakeman

We have done DDP as DVC'ers and have always made sure that we got our moneys worth out of it.

With that said we always averaged about $50 per person per day for food at Disney. With a price point of $47 a day for DDP now the value doesn't seem to be there anymore.

We will probably end up doing a trip or two without DDP and keep a wary eye on our check averages and re-evaluate.

For the immeadiate future though, there will be no more DDP for Mr. and Mrs. Jakeman.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
We have done DDP as DVC'ers and have always made sure that we got our moneys worth out of it.

With that said we always averaged about $50 per person per day for food at Disney. With a price point of $47 a day for DDP now the value doesn't seem to be there anymore.

We will probably end up doing a trip or two without DDP and keep a wary eye on our check averages and re-evaluate.

For the immeadiate future though, there will be no more DDP for Mr. and Mrs. Jakeman.
Do you have APs? I'd recommend getting TiW, much more flexibility and great savings.

Upvote 0

jakeman

Do you have APs? I'd recommend getting TiW, much more flexibility and great savings.
Yep, we have APs and will probably look into TiW now.

We only use DDP intermitantly as it is, depending on the "type" of trip we are taking. For example, for our upcoming F&W trip we won't use it at all. It is much to rigid for our needs (who wants to eat a TS and a QSR, then eat everything around the WS?).

TiW is 20% most places correct?

Upvote 0

harveyt0206

Hi MontyMon, I hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you find this 40% off the room deal? We tend to be very cost aware and I often spend months of pre-planning, looking for deals, before we actually book a trip. I have to be honest with you (call in not looking in the right place or not knowing the proper procedure) I have never found a discount like that at a Deluxe resort. Any pointers you might have would be VERY much appreciated. :wave:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yep, we have APs and will probably look into TiW now.

We only use DDP intermitantly as it is, depending on the "type" of trip we are taking. For example, for our upcoming F&W trip we won't use it at all. It is much to rigid for our needs (who wants to eat a TS and a QSR, then eat everything around the WS?).

TiW is 20% most places correct?
It is 20% at the restaurants that take it which is pretty much every TS place on property and a few QS ones. It also comes with the down side of a mandatory 18% gratuity.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom