DDP/Foodie Help Needed

Annalise Davis

Original Poster
My husband and I (no kids) are making our fourth trip to Disney during the free dining offer this fall. We've eaten at almost all single-meal required table-service restaurants I care to eat at in the parks and resorts and I would like to branch out to some Signature Restaurants. We tried Le Cellier last trip and I was completely underwhelmed. I am not one to complain about Disney's restaurants (I think they do a pretty good job at feeding the masses) but didn't think Le Cellier was worth two TS meals per person. I've narrowed it down to
  • Jiko, AK Lodge
  • California Grill, Contemporary
  • Citricos, GF
  • Narcoossee's, GF
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Tinkerbell397

You cannot go wrong with any of your choices. If I were to put them in my order 1-4, they would be
1. Jiko...... very unique-authentic food. There is nothing like it anywhere else on the Disney property
2. Caliifornia Grill....you feel so special when they come get you or the special CG elevator-excellent food
3 and 4 Citrico's and Narcoossee's..... excellent food and ambiance......you will love both of them.
Not sure if this was any help, but you can feel confident that you will have a wonderful meal at any of them...no rush, individual service. Give yourself a least 2 hours at each to fully enjoy! :cat:

dave&di

I'm not into posh nosh but the California Grill has always appealed to me (never been) I'd love to watch Wishes from there!

Nemo14

I'm not into posh nosh but the California Grill has always appealed to me (never been) I'd love to watch Wishes from there!
I love PoshNosh!
th

Tinkerbell397

Since none of the 4 mentioned above are in the park, we always make it a date.....we go back to the hotel, rest and dress in our dinner attire.....sun dress, button down shirt whatever...just not shorts and tank top. It just makes the experience more special!!!! :cat:

MaxsDad

We have eaten at three of those. I can not get my wife to commit to Jiko as the exotic nature of the wording on the menu scares her off. Personally, I think I would love it, and she would like it.

Citricos - Nice place. Great service, good food. Nice view of the GF courtyard. It was not busy when we visited, so it was quiet for us anyway. I would put it last on my list as there is nothing that really is unique about it ..... that just jumps out at you. It is very good, but the others offer a better overall experience.

California Grill - Very cool place, very hip and trendy feel. Nice open kitchen (I like to watch). Excellent, excellent food. Impressive view of MK, and MK area. Great service. I have eaten here twice on special occasions and loved it. Filet is delicious. Great sushi. A diverse menu.

Narcossee's - Also eaten here twice (BTW, we ate at these places on the deluxe DDP, for what it is worth, so menu pricing was not an issue). Great steak and seafood. Great view of lagoon. You can see high level fireworks from here as well. They also dim lights for Wishes. Here, you can actually order a filet and lobster tail for your 2 credits, a dish normally priced over 70 dollars. I consider it the most quiet, romantic of the three. Dining room is small, and dimly lit.

I like the last 2 equally, but they have a very different feel; Cali is bright, vibrant, busy, Narcs is subtle and cozy.

We looked at booking at these on our next trip, but decided to try Yachtmans for first time instead.

lunchbox1175

I also found Le Celier underwhelming, i feel the same way about Jiko. Personally, i would go with Citrico's. Cali is great as well, but is a bit of a busy atmosphere. You may want to consider Shula's as well.

docdebbi

not one of the ones that you mentioned, but we really enjoy artist point at wilderness lodge. fantastic food, lovely ambiance, lovely views and good chance to walk around and enjoy the hotel. stop by the lounge first, get a drink and sit on the porch overlooking the falls. lovely lovely evening. did i mention fantastic food?
consider it in your listings.

Annalise Davis

Original Poster
We have eaten at three of those. I can not get my wife to commit to Jiko as the exotic nature of the wording on the menu scares her off. Personally, I think I would love it, and she would like it.

I'd be a little nervous about the menu at Jiko and I think it may be a no-go for my "meat and potatoes" husband. :)

Kids aren't an issue for us at restaurants; we certainly understand that it's Disney, after all.

Great suggestions, all - very much appreciated! I'll do my best to report back my findings in October after we visit! :hungry:

The Incredible Schmulk

Jiko is consistently good. It would be in my top three Disney signatures. So, I say keeping that one on the list is a definite yes. The others in my top three would be Flying Fish and California Grill or Artist Point. I go back and forth on the latter two pretty much dependent on which one provided our last dining experience. Our last meal in California Grill had a marrow appetizer that was so decedent that it should have been illegal, so I think that's why it has the edge right now. Previous to that, we had venison carpaccio at Artist Point. Venison carpaccio! Which is why it had the edge before.

Anyway, I'm rambling. To sum things up, Jiko is awesome, don't miss Flying Fish and you can't go wrong with either marrow or venison carpaccio.

Ariel484

Citricos and Jiko are my and my husband's non-Victoria & Albert's top two right now. We ate at California Grill pre-refurb, so I won't comment on that one (possibly trying it again in January). Haven't tried Narcoossee's yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom