Trip Report DCL: Collect the whole set! A Pro9het Turf’less Surf story.

So the Cliff’s Notes version of trip details can be had here:

As is usual we are celebrating our anniversary at sea with DCL. What is not usual is we are doing it from a port that is not Port Canaveral. Our departure port would be New York City. This meant a first time trip to NYC for the both of us. This also meant there would be no WDW turf side to this story as is typical for us. Another first for us was our journey taking place on the Disney Magic. We’ve been on every other DCL ship to this point and we were excited to complete the set with our first Magic voyage. If that wasn’t enough “new” for us we added a new port of call, 2 days at Bermuda. So there ya have it, a series of firsts now lets get this party started.

Tuesday, day before we fly to NYC:
Word on the weather street was that a nor'easter was heading straight for NYC. Worse yet is was supposed to hit NYC while we were flying in that evening. We scrambled tonight to see if we could fly out earlier. Thankfully we found a flight leaving several hours earlier and better yet the seats were together. This would ease some of my bride’s fears of flying but only temporarily. It’s strange how life’s highs and lows can come at you. While we were scrambling to avoid a nor'easter we received a notification of a DVC resale contact that just hit the market. We’d been looking for a small VGC contract for a while and sure enough one popped up. We tossed our hat in the ring with an offer and the caveat that we were about to set sail and couldn’t sign anything until we returned. Fingers crossed!

Wednesday, travel day:
I was scheduled to work today but since we shifted our flight I took an additional vaca day. We left the house a little before 9am and since it was raining out this meant Georgia drivers just took a dump on Ga400. Seriously, this state may have the worst drivers. What should have been an easy, “post rush hour”, trip to the Marta station turned into a gridlock nightmare. It was so bad the usual Marta station we use was at capacity and we had to drive to the next station to catch a train. Thankfully that only incurred another 10 minutes on the road. We navigated the station, and soon were arriving at the airport. Hooray for TSA PreCheck! We passed through security in no time and settled into the terminal, only slightly frazzled.
IMG_7437.JPG

Speaking of highs and lows, while we sat at the gate we received a notice from the DVC resale agent:
IMG_7438.jpg

Our offer was accepted! This high was temporary, though, as it was time to board and my Bride’s nerves would be tested. As we boarded we did find things to distract us. For me it was:
IMG_7439.JPG

For my bride it was:
IMG_7442.JPG

Up next: Flying & Storms don't mix!

Last edited:

sheriffwoody

Sorry for the liking spree the last few days! Yet another great report. Still can't convince my man to cruise... I mentioned it to him this weekend while I was reading your report and he sent me an article about a ship stranded on the water because of the Coronavirus :rolleyes: I'll just keep living vicariously through y'all!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Sorry for the liking spree the last few days! Yet another great report. Still can't convince my man to cruise... I mentioned it to him this weekend while I was reading your report and he sent me an article about a ship stranded on the water because of the Coronavirus :rolleyes: I'll just keep living vicariously through y'all!
All I can say is keep trying. My bride had to wear me down for a couple years. When I finally caved we just did a 3-night itinerary but I was HOOKED! Maybe you can talk him into a short weekend itinerary, they are mostly domestic with a very low chance of catching yellow river fever, ebola, legionnaires disease, and the like :rolleyes:.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
@lostpro9het when are we getting the cruise out of Miami trip report? I saw the bump and got excited that this might be it!

All honesty, half of it is TR fatigue on my part and half of it is...well, maybe its all fatigue on my part. I was feeling a little like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. Anyway, I had a moment this weekend where I was looking through the pics and got a little excited and was ->this<- close to starting one. All this to say, I think this weekend I'll kick something off. We're 53 days away from our next DCL trip out of Miami and I think that's got me a little excited too. Thank you for the nudge, and the food recommendation. Here's a little fix until then:
IMG_8383.JPG

Epcotfan21

All honesty, half of it is TR fatigue on my part and half of it is...well, maybe its all fatigue on my part. I was feeling a little like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. Anyway, I had a moment this weekend where I was looking through the pics and got a little excited and was ->this<- close to starting one. All this to say, I think this weekend I'll kick something off. We're 53 days away from our next DCL trip out of Miami and I think that's got me a little excited too. Thank you for the nudge, and the food recommendation. Here's a little fix until then:
View attachment 448452
I’ll take whatever I can get at this point.

oufpat

Thanks for doing such a great job with this trip report. We live in Jersey and have been on 3 DC, out of Barcelona, Miami and Dover. Time to convince DH that NY is just 30 minutes away and time to take the Magic on a cruise from there.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Thanks for doing such a great job with this trip report. We live in Jersey and have been on 3 DC, out of Barcelona, Miami and Dover. Time to convince DH that NY is just 30 minutes away and time to take the Magic on a cruise from there.
Can’t recommend the Bermuda itinerary enough! We can’t wait to get back there, beautiful beaches.

ChuckElias

Sunday, Bermuda Day 2, con't:

Today's excursion had us spending half the day on a catamaran snorkeling. An added bonus of the excursion was bottomless rum swizzles and fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. Seriously, there was an oven on the boat and they were baking cookies!

View attachment 436244
Restless Native Catamaran! That's what we did in Bermuda on our NCL cruise! We really liked them a lot. Seems like you had a good excursion, too.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Restless Native Catamaran! That's what we did in Bermuda on our NCL cruise! We really liked them a lot. Seems like you had a good excursion, too.
That's it! We did like them and had a good time. What we learned when we boarded was that their excursions help support their breast cancer charity. Just another reason to like them.
Art of the Theme Show tour! I've done it on all four ships. A lot of similar information, but always slightly different, depending on the CM who guides the tour. I usually really like it.
This was our second tour overall. I think the other was on The Dream. It was interesting to learn about all the details they put into ship that can easily be taken for granted while cruising.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom