David's DVC Rental Question(s)

Schweino

Original Poster
Hello friends. Looking at using David's DVC rental for a trip next year for the week after Thanksgiving. Few questions or random thoughts to confirm understanding:

1. There is no cancellation policy at David's, so this means two things: Travel Insurance is a necessity and if we use David's and get insurance, I still can't cancel for just any reason. True/False?

2. We want to book with David's ASAP to help increase the odds of getting our desired place (FWIW it's looking like Wilderness Lodge). True/False?

3. Outside the cancellation policy, is there any other major con's?

TIA!

nickys

Premium Member
Hello friends. Looking at using David's DVC rental for a trip next year for the week after Thanksgiving. Few questions or random thoughts to confirm understanding:

1. There is no cancellation policy at David's, so this means two things: Travel Insurance is a necessity and if we use David's and get insurance, I still can't cancel for just any reason. True/False?

2. We want to book with David's ASAP to help increase the odds of getting our desired place (FWIW it's looking like Wilderness Lodge). True/False?

TIA!
1. Yes I would get insurance to cover you. However check what is covered.

Renting is risky since you are correct, you cannot cancel. Nor can you change dates or resort. You would need insurance to cover what you pay in case of illness or other reason that you might need to cancel. If you want flexibility, renting DVC points is not for you.

2. You can put in your request 12 months ahead, which increases your chances of getting what you want. To get what you want, there needs to be availability of the room type at the resort and also an owner who is renting their points. An owner can book 11 months ahead.

3. You cannot contact Disney about your reservation. The owner keeps control of the reservation until you check in.
Hosuekeeping is every 4th day, with full cleaning on day 4 and fresh towels provided on day 8. Obviously right now things are a little different.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

TIA!
1) The trip insurance you buy will dictate the terms of the cancellation policy. I haven’t seen any that cover “oh my plans changed”. Without insurance you will not get money back. With insurance it depends.

2) yes, you need to ask them to schedule that ASAP. They can’t book it until 11 months before your arrival day. That is an extremely popular time to go and especially at Wilderness Lodge, so even being out in front of it you probably won’t get WL with a rental unless you are booking 1 bedroom (and even then maybe not. Have a back up plan.

3) the rooms have a sofa bed. Make sure you know they’re not hotel rooms.

Schweino

Original Poster
3. You cannot contact Disney about your reservation. The owner keeps control of the reservation until you check in.
Hosuekeeping is every 4th day, with full cleaning on day 4 and fresh towels provided on day 8. Obviously right now things are a little different.
Would this mean if things like Park reservations, Genie stuff or lightning lane stuff had issues, the owner of the reservation has to take care of those things for me? Or is it only for the resort reservation and everything else I can take care of?

Thanks for your other answers!

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Would this mean if things like Park reservations, Genie stuff or lightning lane stuff had issues, the owner of the reservation has to take care of those things for me? Or is it only for the resort reservation and everything else I can take care of?

Thanks for your other answers!
Those are linked to tickets, so no that will work fine once you have tickets. You will be recognized as an on site guest once you successfully link the reservations. But you can’t do dining plan or certain other resort-based add ons by yourself until you check in.

Schweino

Original Poster
Those are linked to tickets, so no that will work fine once you have tickets. You will be recognized as an on site guest once you successfully link the reservations. But you can’t do dining plan or certain other resort-based add ons by yourself until you check in.
Dining Plan - can you elaborate? That part might be a deal breaker if I can't book dining at 60 days like regular.

nickys

Premium Member
Dining Plan - can you elaborate? That part might be a deal breaker if I can't book dining at 60 days like regular.
You can book ADRs at 60 days out. You get all the privileges of any other onsite guest.

But if the Dining Plan returns, the owner must book that for you. You would need to give your CC details to the broker and the owner would add it to your reservation. The dining plan is where you pre-pay for meals.

Schweino

Original Poster
You can book ADRs at 60 days out. You get all the privileges of any other onsite guest.

But if the Dining Plan returns, the owner must book that for you. You would need to give your CC details to the broker and the owner would add it to your reservation. The dining plan is where you pre-pay for meals.
Ohhh okay, that makes sense. I can still book the restaurants and then just add DDP on arrival so I dont have to pass CC info, ya?

JaxFLBear

Ohhh okay, that makes sense. I can still book the restaurants and then just add DDP on arrival so I dont have to pass CC info, ya?
Dining Plans can't be added at the Resort. Only the owner can add a dining plan and Davids requires a minimum of 30 days prior to arrival. If you don't want to give the owner your CC info, you could purchase a Disney Gift Card(s) for the amount of the dining plan and provide those to Davids.

Weather_Lady

The main con is, as mentioned above, the non-refundable nature of the reservation (and if you purchase insurance to cover it, you'll need "cancel for any reason" insurance, which generally must be purchased right away once you've booked -- I've been happy using Travel Guard in the past, although we only get insurance for a DVC rental when traveling with older family members with medical conditions, or if we're flying during snow season). Also, payment is due, in full, once your reservation is made. (This isn't a "con" necessarily, but something to be aware of.)

The DDP hasn't returned, so it's a moot point at present, but if it did, it's pretty simple to have the DVC member set it up for you ahead of time. If you're nervous about giving the member your CC number, you can purchase Disney gift cards in the needed amount, and give the member the gift card numbers instead. (*Tip: You can save even more by purchasing the gift cards for a discount at places like BJ's and Sam's Club, especially if you can stack the discount with credit card offers. I buy Disney gift cards at BJ's (for 4% off face value) using my Discover card, during the months of the year when Discover has a 5% cash back offer in effect for wholesale clubs, so I'm saving almost 9% on the gift cards themselves.) Also, as you're probably aware, if Disney comes out with a discount offer later for rooms or packages, you can't take advantage of it if you've already booked a room on DVC points. However, this isn't much of a "con" in my view, as the savings you enjoy by renting DVC points typically eclipses anything Disney is offering. We've rented DVC points for studios and 2-bedroom villas in the past, and have saved anywhere from 20-50% off of the rack rate for those same rooms.

We've booked DVC reservations through David's several times, and it's always been a seamless experience. Once a reservation is made, they'll send you the confirmation number, you link it to your My Disney Experience account like you would any other Disney resort reservation, and everything else, including dining reservations, etc., proceeds as normal. If you have questions or concerns, you can call or e-mail David's, and talk to a real, live, English-speaking, onsite employee. I've had to do so on a few occasions and they've been unfailingly patient and helpful.

Obviously you'll be buying your park tickets a la carte, and will need to link them to your account as well. If you haven't purchased tickets already, I recommend touringplans' ticket finder tool, which compares prices for several reputable third party resellers and direct from Disney, and tries different arrival dates, to suggest the best deal for your party. https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/ticket-calculator

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom