News David Duffy named Vice President, Live Entertainment at Walt Disney World Resort

JAB

Duffy's here to steer the WDW entertainment ship...

Duffy_HKDL.jpg

brb1006

lets hope he brings some magnifique back to WDW, it needs it bad.
I remember liking the nighttime entertainment Animal Kingdom gained in 2016. For a short period, The Tree of Life used to have a special projection show running nightly while the Discovery Island Carnivale performed at night instead of being daytime only.

Despite the evening offerings being short-lived, it really gave the park more life and a unique atmosphere. If only something could be done to The Discovery River Theatre that isn't cursed.

Just wish the park gained more indoor rides to make the park feel complete.

brb1006

• Tale of The Lion King Stage Show, Disney California Adventure, June 2019
  • Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge Grand Opening Celebration, Disneyland Park, June 2019
  • Mickey’s Mix Magic Fireworks and Media Spectacular, Disneyland Park, January 2019
  • Disney Parks, Experiences and Products (Formerly Disney Parks and Resorts) D23 Keynote Presentations; multi-years at Anaheim Convention Center and Tokyo Disneyland
  • Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout Grand Opening Ceremony, Disney California Adventure, June 2017
  • Frozen- Live at the Hyperion Stage Show, Disney California Adventure, May 2016

View attachment 739173

So I’m sure Journey of Water will get a fabulous opening ceremony with rain and stuff.
I believe he was also involved with "Mickey's Dazzling Christmas Parade" which runs during the day and night.

brb1006

Not as good as you think - as noted by some other posters, his work has primarily been a few mediocre parades (no storytelling in Dream & Shine Brighter just a bunch of characters strewn about with some on essentially cherry pickers with little/no theming), and a lot of opening ceremonies. A few nighttime shows here and there - but nothing like WDW needs right now - we don't need a replacement for Happily Ever After, we need a new Harmonious replacement, and ideally something in the long-term pipeline to replace Fantasmic. Which he really doesn't have experience on.
I would have to disagree, Dreams & Shine Brighter actually gained tons of positive reception with DLP visitors. Considering Paris' 30th Anniversary was held during COVID, it was better than what ever the heck WDW was doing for it's 50th Anniversary. Even @marni1971 enjoyed Paris' offerings. At least Paris' offerings felt genuine and not a complete joke.

Comped

I've read a lot about changes to the entertainment department post-2001 - no coincidence that that was the year Ron Logan retired and Anne Hamburger took his place, no? Reading between the lines it reads a lot more like entertainment was slashed to the bone then, which makes sense given how much has gone away between then and now.

Not at all unrelated, the number of full-time, Disney-employed musicians numbered around 425 in 2001. That number is now just over 100. It'd be nice to see a pendulum swing, particularly in Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios where there is just ONE live band now to each park.
I knew Ron quite well (and highly recommend you read his book if you haven't - it covers the history of Disney's entertainment for the first 50 years or so), so much of my opinion on this subject is from what he told me, although it's also in part from my own research for papers I wrote in both undergrad and grad school on the subject. Entertainment then was slashed to the bone, and eventually broken up. Ops too took financial and operational control over much of it, and DLE (Disney Live Entertainment) was eventually used to handle only the creative elements in actuality - it no longer controlled as much as it once did (particularly characters), and had far less influence on the parks and outside them than it did during Ron's time. I know for a fact Eisner wanted it broken up because he said it was a fiefdom. It served Eisner well - from all his synergy project to the millennium, but once Ron retired, so he and a couple of his colleagues told me, entertainment was said to be too powerful, with money being even that in the eyes of some should have gone to rides, and was swiftly neutered.

There's a reason why he had so many bands playing in the parks (and why his window at MK has him as the bandleader - the only one, that I know of, which references an actual job the window's namesake actually held at the park). He knew the impact that music, usually live (although almost all stage shows proper were pre-recorded past about 1980 or so, like your Hunchback, Tarzan, and so forth, not including Epcot concerts and other musically-focused performances like the various bands and orchestras plus the occasional live singers in other performances), had on the guest experience. He and I would talk about that sort of thing frequently, and he was dismayed at how much the standard of entertainment had fallen since his retirement. The jazz band at the GF cuts hurt him deeply - as he protected them from both Dick Nunis and Frank Wells, who wanted them cut for different reasons - much like the All American College Orchestra and other music cuts during and after he left (that cut being not too long after Judson Green, a Disney colleague of Ron's and an award-winning jazz musician in his own right, passed seemed to make it hurt even more) . He was really a musician through and through.

I could use a lot of unparliamentary language to describe the cuts Disney has made to entertainment in those 20 years. But I will simply say that entertainment has been failed by everyone who's tocuhed it since, outside of Tokyo and rare exceptions elsewhere. Musicians cost a good deal of cash - the orchestra for the Pixar show at DHS a few years ago were getting $200-250 a night each. That's not cheap. Better to pre-record and use as few actors as possible (for they, especially if they speak or sing live, also cost quite a bit according to Equity's own agreements with Disney management). Thus we get what we have now - legacy shows that have little business of being around for as long as they have, propped up because it's too expensive to make new ones - and it's not like the once in a lifetime guests Bob targets will notice anyway.

I have been trying to write a bit of a book on the subject for a while, and it's tough, both because of my personal connection to the matter (Disney's live entertainment is what drove me to study theme park management in the first place, never mind seek a career in this industry), and because the lack of info on the subject as a whole...

brb1006

I've read a lot about changes to the entertainment department post-2001 - no coincidence that that was the year Ron Logan retired and Anne Hamburger took his place, no? Reading between the lines it reads a lot more like entertainment was slashed to the bone then, which makes sense given how much has gone away between then and now.

Not at all unrelated, the number of full-time, Disney-employed musicians numbered around 425 in 2001. That number is now just over 100. It'd be nice to see a pendulum swing, particularly in Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios where there is just ONE live band now to each park.
Was the Share a Dream Come True Parade a product from the Ron Logan or Anne Hamburger?

bmr1591

After, we need a new Harmonious replacement, and ideally something in the long-term pipeline to replace Fantasmic.

Oof, replacing Fantasmic. You’re not wrong, it does need to happen at one point, but it’s very beloved. I wished they’d build a similar amphitheater in Magic Kingdom and move the show there for 30 minutes are fireworks. It would thematically fit much better as well.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Oof, replacing Fantasmic. You’re not wrong, it does need to happen at one point, but it’s very beloved. I wished they’d build a similar amphitheater in Magic Kingdom and move the show there for 30 minutes are fireworks. It would thematically fit much better as well.
If they ever build the "beyond big thunder" than they could put Fantasmic back there and use the liberty bell as the boat but that will never happen. There's basically no financial intensive to do so at all.

Disone

Disagree.

While I like the suggestion of fantastic being built in Magic kingdom's beyond big thunder expansion, I don't think it's the case that it does need to happen at one point.

Especially with its current refresh I think it will continue to be beloved for sometime to come.

TrainsOfDisney

But I will simply say that entertainment has been failed by everyone who's tocuhed it since, outside of Tokyo and rare exceptions elsewhere.
At Disneyland today I’ve watched the pirate band, jazz band, pearly band, Disneyland band, Main Street ragtime piano, and saloon piano. I think straw hatters were here today as well. Live entertainment is alive and well here at Disneyland. (Although there have been some cuts here as well….)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom