Trip Report Dastardly Old Dorian

I’ve enjoyed reading trip reports over the years and living vicariously through the people writing them. Now that I’m finally getting to go back to Disney world after a 3 year drought, I’ve decided to try my hand at writing one myself. This trip report might be a little different than other trip reports, though. I’m 17 so it will be coming from the eyes of a teenager (I know it’s a bit odd a 17 year old is spending her time doing this, but what can I say. I’m just obsessed with Disney lol).

I’ll be going on this trip with my mom and my dad. Since my parents are not huge fans of Disney world (well maybe they’re just not fans of hearing me spout off an immense number of facts every time we go through the gates lol), the real reason we’re going on this trip is because my dad is going on a 4 night cruise out of Port Canaveral so he’ll only be there half the time. We’re avid cruisers also and we only need a couple more nights before we hit the diamond level, so I convinced my parents to let us spend time at Disney since he’ll be in the Orlando area anyways.

We’ll be arriving August 30th and leaving September 8th. My parents have never been to Universal so we’re starting the trip there and moving to Disney on September 3rd. Although Universal lacks some of the same Disney magic, I’m a huge fan of Harry Potter and even Disney fans can admit the theming in Harry Potter world is comparable to Disney’s theming throughout, so I’m super excited for universal also. I know this is a Disney blog, but I’ll also be including the universal leg of this trip, so if reading it makes you feel like you’re cheating on Disney, feel free to skip it ;)

While in Universal we’ll be staying at the Loews Portofino Bay Hotel since we were able to get a great price on it through Costco travel. It was a no brainer to book Portofino Bay because for only a couple hundred more, we all get express passes since Portofino Bay is one of Universal’s deluxe resorts. The rooms are also much much nicer than the next cheapest hotel which is just an added bonus for us.

In Disney we’re staying at the Disney Dolphin. I know it’s not technically a Disney resort, but we’re loyal Marriott members and this was the most cost effective resort on Disney property since we could use points (I know it’s normally the cheapest anyways, but still our Marriott loyalty points made it impossible not to choose to stay there). We’ve never stayed on property at Disney, so it will be awesome getting to be within walking distance of Hollywood Studios and Epcot, getting use of the extra magic hours, and being able to book fastpasses 60 days in advance.

Sadly we didn’t get to utilize the advantage of being able to book the fastpasses 60 days in advance because our reservation took almost five days to show up on our mydisneyexperience account. According to Disney, since we booked it through Marriott, it would take up to a week to show up on our account since Marriott doesn’t put it directly into Disney computers. I guess that taught us our lesson of not booking everything last minute.

It ended up not being much of an issue considering the only fastpass we wanted and couldn’t get at a reasonable time was seven dwarves mine train, which is easy enough to rope drop (that is if my parents will get up with me lol). We also originally were only able to get a flight of passage fastpass for 3:00 which was far from optimal, but because of technical difficulties causing all of our fastpass reservations to be dropped, Disney was kind of enough to give us a FOP fastpass that can be used at any time of day. Because they did this I was able to get a Na’vi River Journey fastpass also. Two tier one fastpasses in the same park? Score!! My parents might’ve even been more excited than me when I told them we would have no reason to rope drop animal kingdom anymore haha.

We’re planning on leaving tomorrow and driving 3/4 of the way so we can get an early start at Universal Friday morning. That’s only if the weather cooperates, though. Hurricane Dorian is supposed to hit Orlando as a category 3 on Sunday making the Universal portion of the trip a complete washout. There’s still a chance it could slide north of Florida, so fingers crossed for now! We’ll reassess the weather tomorrow and figure out if we’re actually leaving or not.

In the spirt of being optimistic lol, I still need to finish up some packing before we leave tomorrow so I’ll end it with that. I can barely contain my excitement!!

Next stop: Orlando!!

the_disney_dreamer

Original Poster
Day 1~Orlando:

Apparently my family has a knack for changing plans at last minute😂😂We left today at about 10 AM to make it to Gainesville. Olaf decided to tag along.

About halfway into our drive, I woke up from a nap to learn that my parents had decided to go right by Gainesville and instead go all the way to Orlando since the weather still looked good.

So then came the question of what to do tonight in Orlando. Our eta was 6 PM and Disney Springs was closing at 8 PM so we didn’t think we would have enough time to go there. Universal’s City Walk didn’t say that they were closing early so we decided to go there instead.

On our way in we tried to go by the Orlando visitor center but it was closed. We assumed it was because of the hurricane considering almost everything else in Orlando was also closed. Almost every restaurant we passed was closed. Even gas stations were closed😂😂It was almost a bit eerie how empty everything was. My parents compared it to a ghost town.

We arrived at Universal CityWalk at about 6:30 and walked around for a bit looking at the shops.

The line for Voodoo Donuts was crazy. You can’t really see in the picture, but it was wrapped all the way outside the building.

We decided on eating at NBC Sports Grille and Brew. We loved the dining tables that doubled as foosball tables! I ordered the veggie burger with Mac and cheese on the side and my parents got the combo brisket platter. Although a little pricey, the portions were huge and it was all delicious! My parents said the brisket was the best they had ever had. Also just a tip, if you want something a bit cheaper there, just order their side salad for $4. My parents both got one and they were the size of normal salads. I apologize for no pictures of the food, but we were all crazy hungry and scarfed it down as soon as it arrived at our table.

While my parents were finishing up, I decided to grab something to satisfy my sweet tooth. And where better to go to than you guessed it...

Toothsome’s Chocolate Emporium!!

I was pretty full after dinner so I just decided on one of their little cookies. It was pretty good for $3.

Attachments

• 22D0F4BB-DD4F-449F-A507-7FAED9F6A78A.jpeg
    22D0F4BB-DD4F-449F-A507-7FAED9F6A78A.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

the_disney_dreamer

Original Poster
While across the river at Toothsome’s, I took a few more pictures.

When I went back to NBC grille and brew to meet my parents, they were talking to a random guy at the bar. Turns out he was a Disney cast member who was spending his off day at Universal!! He was so friendly and told us where to find him when we went to Hollywood Studious. He said if we stopped by to say hi to him he would do something magical for us so I really hope we’re able to find him!

After talking to him for a bit, we left dinner and walked around exploring for a bit longer. Of course I took more pictures. I really am obsessed🤣🤣

Last edited:

the_disney_dreamer

Original Poster
Then my mom and I sat in the voodoo donuts throne.

Then we followed that up with some surfing😉

I also thought the Universal mini golf looked pretty cool.

We finally arrived at our hotel at about 9. We decided to stay in the fairfield inn that’s about a mile and half away from Disney springs for $70. We passed one of the Disney entrances on the way in, but Dorian was starting to rear her ugly head and it was raining too hard to get a clear picture. I’ll try to get one in the morning.

I was delighted to see that our hotel was of Disney’s good neighbor hotels. Disney signs anywhere make me happy😂😂

After a long day of travel I’m going to call it a night. Although there are no parks on our schedule for tomorrow, we need to run some errands and I was hoping to go to Disney Springs so I need some good rest! Hopefully the weather will hold up for us tomorrow.

Next Stop: Disney Springs and the Disney Dolphin!!

Last edited:

the_disney_dreamer

Original Poster
Day 1~Disney Springs:

We kept debating whether or not to get a park ticket today and we finally decided that five straight days of parks would be too much. So instead we stuck with our original plan of going to the fifth gate: Disney Springs.

We had a little bit of a late morning and didn’t leave the room until about 10 to grab some breakfast. It was your run of the mill hotel breakfast, but they did have Mickey waffles which was a nice touch.

We checked out of our temporary home at the Fairfield and headed to Target to stock up on some more Disney gift cards (gotta love that 5% off with your red card😉). I was able to get a picture of the gate this time around since the rain had finally stopped.

Then we arrived at the real gates😉

At about 11, we arrived at our real home for the week. The Disney Dolphin. Boy is this whole hotel huge. Beautiful, but it’s almost impossible to find where you’re going. I got lost at least three times on the way to our room. I thought the chandelier and fountain in the lobby was beautiful.

Our room was on the west side with a fireworks view. It was nice enough, but nothing special. Just a normal hotel room.

Our view was absolutely gorgeous, though. If you look closely, you can see the Hollywood Tower Hotel.

the_disney_dreamer

Original Poster
After we unpacked our bags and my parents checked their email, we were off to Disney springs. I stopped by guest services on the way out to receive my birthday button. My birthday is still a couple of weeks away, but this trip was my 18th birthday present from my parents.

We parked in the orange lot since it’s the only one I was sure I knew how to get to lol. Then we walked around checking out a couple of shops. My dad and I thought these were pretty cool.

I completely forgot the NBA experience had just opened up in Disney Springs, and we’re all pretty big sports fans so we walked in the for a bit.

And of course I had to check out SHIELD headquarters.

I had never seen the make your own gauntlet station, and although they were cool, they were crazy expensive for a piece of plastic. I did like the reference to Stark Industries, though (I love you 3000 Tony😭😭).

I took a couple more miscellaneous pictures as we continued to wander around.

the_disney_dreamer

Original Poster
We all started to get pretty hungry so we stopped at the edge of extinction for some prehistoric grub at none other than....

T-REX CAFE!!

I love immersive theming and boy does this place do that. The real reason I came, though, is I’m a picky vegetarian and I had a read in a previous trip report that the veggie burger here was great, so I wanted to check it out. Forgive me for not remember the name of the user that wrote it, but it was a vegetarian couple with a young son and a young daughter, so if anyone knows their username please comment it below!!

Anyways, here are some pictures I took of the restaurant while we were waiting for our table.

the_disney_dreamer

Original Poster
I was super excited to be seated in the ice cave!

I never got a chance to take pictures of our food again today. I’ve kinda decided it’s a lost cause since we all eat it so quickly since it all looks so good😂 I completely forgot what my parents got to eat, but whatever it was the said it was decent. I got the veggie burger which I loved. It was huge portion! A big enough meal for me not to be able to finish it all, and I’m the kind of person that eats 10 meals a day🤣 I was able to get a picture of my mom’s drink, though.

Our server’s name was Jesus (he called himself Black Jesus🤣🤣) and we absolutely loved him!! He gave me a birthday serenade in the style of Mariah Carey (he had an awesome voice), gave my parents a free side, and even gave me a free desert for my birthday!!

All in all, our meal at T-Rex was great, mostly due to our server. On the way out, I stopped by the bathroom and this sign made me chuckle.

After lunch we headed over to the Lego Store. I always love all of the creations.

the_disney_dreamer

Original Poster
Here are some pictures of the LEGO creations. Sorry for taking so many, but I just think they’re the coolest thing!!

My mom was trying to look like the Hulk🤣🤣

After the LEGO store, we headed on over to Uniqlo. We had never seen a Uniqlo store before, and my favorite tennis player (Roger Federer) is sponsored by him so I felt obligated to check it out😂

We were pleasantly surprised by the prices and walked out wishing we had one in GA.

After Uniqlo, we checked out World of Disney. I’ve always loved the squirting Stitch.

And afterwards walked in Basin. I thought the Mickey bath bombs were cute.

We also went into Amorette’s. Their pastries are always the cutest!!

My mom also tried the Chardonnay wine slushy from there. She said it was super different but she enjoyed it!

the_disney_dreamer

Original Poster
After Amorette’s, we hopped on motorcycles to get to our next stop.

Edible cookie dough truck here we come!!

I just went with the chocolate chip cup for 4.75.

Even though it was cute, I was honestly quite disappointed. I was so excited for this since I love cookie dough, but this tastes nothing like the real thing. I’m hoping it will be better cold, so I’ll update y’all after it sits in the fridge for a bit.

We left Disney Springs after the cookie dough and headed back to the Dolphin to rest up for a bit. I was so surprised to see this waiting in the room when I got back!!

This was such a nice touch from the Dolphin!! After a quick nap, we’re planning to check out the Boardwalk.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
T-REX CAFE!!The real reason I came, though, is I’m a picky vegetarian and I had a read in a previous trip report that the veggie burger here was great, so I wanted to check it out. Forgive me for not remember the name of the user that wrote it, but it was a vegetarian couple with a young son and a young daughter, so if anyone knows their username please comment it below!!
@Lyear :geek:

the_disney_dreamer

Original Poster
The Boardwalk was absolutely amazing. I definitely recommend it for anyone with a free night at Disney World. We only had to wait about 5 minutes to catch a friendship boat over.

Then after a short ride, we were there!

We walked around and checked out a couple menus before finally deciding to just go with the cheaper option and getting something from the food stands outside. We all enjoyed our food. I highly recommend the Mac and cheese bites. For only $5.50 you get a huge portion and they’re delicious!

After dinner we walked around and watched the street performers. They were all super entertaining. The magician even chose me to be in his show!

Right before we left, the Happily Ever After fireworks show at Magic Kingdom started.

Then it was time for one more ride on the friendship boats back to the Dolphin.

I was able to get a few more pictures when we came back. The Dolphin really is beautiful at dark.

We explored the hotel for a bit before making it back up to the room to do the last thing on my itinerary for the day: put on my Minnie Mouse footie pajamas and watch the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular from the comfort of our own balcony.

Even though we didn’t go to any parks today, it still truly was a magical day in Disney World.

Next stop~Magic Kingdom!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom