Trip Report Dastardly Old Dorian

I’ve enjoyed reading trip reports over the years and living vicariously through the people writing them. Now that I’m finally getting to go back to Disney world after a 3 year drought, I’ve decided to try my hand at writing one myself. This trip report might be a little different than other trip reports, though. I’m 17 so it will be coming from the eyes of a teenager (I know it’s a bit odd a 17 year old is spending her time doing this, but what can I say. I’m just obsessed with Disney lol).

I’ll be going on this trip with my mom and my dad. Since my parents are not huge fans of Disney world (well maybe they’re just not fans of hearing me spout off an immense number of facts every time we go through the gates lol), the real reason we’re going on this trip is because my dad is going on a 4 night cruise out of Port Canaveral so he’ll only be there half the time. We’re avid cruisers also and we only need a couple more nights before we hit the diamond level, so I convinced my parents to let us spend time at Disney since he’ll be in the Orlando area anyways.

We’ll be arriving August 30th and leaving September 8th. My parents have never been to Universal so we’re starting the trip there and moving to Disney on September 3rd. Although Universal lacks some of the same Disney magic, I’m a huge fan of Harry Potter and even Disney fans can admit the theming in Harry Potter world is comparable to Disney’s theming throughout, so I’m super excited for universal also. I know this is a Disney blog, but I’ll also be including the universal leg of this trip, so if reading it makes you feel like you’re cheating on Disney, feel free to skip it ;)

While in Universal we’ll be staying at the Loews Portofino Bay Hotel since we were able to get a great price on it through Costco travel. It was a no brainer to book Portofino Bay because for only a couple hundred more, we all get express passes since Portofino Bay is one of Universal’s deluxe resorts. The rooms are also much much nicer than the next cheapest hotel which is just an added bonus for us.

In Disney we’re staying at the Disney Dolphin. I know it’s not technically a Disney resort, but we’re loyal Marriott members and this was the most cost effective resort on Disney property since we could use points (I know it’s normally the cheapest anyways, but still our Marriott loyalty points made it impossible not to choose to stay there). We’ve never stayed on property at Disney, so it will be awesome getting to be within walking distance of Hollywood Studios and Epcot, getting use of the extra magic hours, and being able to book fastpasses 60 days in advance.

Sadly we didn’t get to utilize the advantage of being able to book the fastpasses 60 days in advance because our reservation took almost five days to show up on our mydisneyexperience account. According to Disney, since we booked it through Marriott, it would take up to a week to show up on our account since Marriott doesn’t put it directly into Disney computers. I guess that taught us our lesson of not booking everything last minute.

It ended up not being much of an issue considering the only fastpass we wanted and couldn’t get at a reasonable time was seven dwarves mine train, which is easy enough to rope drop (that is if my parents will get up with me lol). We also originally were only able to get a flight of passage fastpass for 3:00 which was far from optimal, but because of technical difficulties causing all of our fastpass reservations to be dropped, Disney was kind of enough to give us a FOP fastpass that can be used at any time of day. Because they did this I was able to get a Na’vi River Journey fastpass also. Two tier one fastpasses in the same park? Score!! My parents might’ve even been more excited than me when I told them we would have no reason to rope drop animal kingdom anymore haha.

We’re planning on leaving tomorrow and driving 3/4 of the way so we can get an early start at Universal Friday morning. That’s only if the weather cooperates, though. Hurricane Dorian is supposed to hit Orlando as a category 3 on Sunday making the Universal portion of the trip a complete washout. There’s still a chance it could slide north of Florida, so fingers crossed for now! We’ll reassess the weather tomorrow and figure out if we’re actually leaving or not.

In the spirt of being optimistic lol, I still need to finish up some packing before we leave tomorrow so I’ll end it with that. I can barely contain my excitement!!

Next stop: Orlando!!

SandiSmiles

Looking forward to reading your report! I LOVE Uni also, and Portofino is a beautiful resort with the largest rooms we have ever stayed in! We were lucky enough to have a room with a massive balcony (but it was not very close to the pool). Give them a call on the drive down to make any room requests. Hope Dorian stays away!

the_disney_dreamer

Original Poster
Looking forward to reading your report! I LOVE Uni also, and Portofino is a beautiful resort with the largest rooms we have ever stayed in! We were lucky enough to have a room with a massive balcony (but it was not very close to the pool). Give them a call on the drive down to make any room requests. Hope Dorian stays away!
That makes me even more excited to stay in Portifino! My family and I love large rooms lol. Thanks for the advice!!

Mainahman

What park are y'all planning to go to on Saturday, September 7? As of now we're going to Hollywood Studios and we might run into y'all!
Saturday is our arrival day. Were leaving at about 2 am, and its about an 11 hour drive, so its a resort only day, Pool and Cocktails by the pool is the plan. We have park days on the 8th and the 9th. its a short weekend get away.

the_disney_dreamer

Original Poster
Saturday is our arrival day. Were leaving at about 2 am, and its about an 11 hour drive, so its a resort only day, Pool and Cocktails by the pool is the plan. We have park days on the 8th and the 9th. its a short weekend get away.
Short weekend getaways to Disney are best. I hope y'all have an awesome time!!

the_disney_dreamer

Original Poster
Thanks! Its our 10 year wedding anniversary so we decided a couple days of mickey, and the Halloween party would be good fun.
I’ve always wanted to do the Halloween party but have never been able to fit in our schedule. We almost went last year, but our plans changed last minute :(

the_disney_dreamer

Original Poster
Back to T-5 Days :(

I was hoping to be able to be writing this post in the car on the way to Orlando, but Dorian is just not cooperating, so we’ve had to cancel the Universal portion of our trip. Costco Travel was very accommodating and gave us a full refund which was a relief! We’re rescheduling for December, so I’m not super disappointed.

Our new plan is to drive down Tuesday and hit Disney Springs for dinner. I’ve also been dying to try the new edible cookie dough food truck there! Then we’ll stick with our original schedule of going to the parks Wednesday-Saturday.

Again, this is all still dependent on weather. As of now Dorian is supposed to hit Orlando on Tuesday, so hopefully worst case scenario I’ll just have to call Disney and try to move our Magic Kingdom plans from Wednesday to Sunday. I’m still optimistic everything will work out!

I’ll post again when we have a better idea exactly what the hurricane will do. Also, just a side note I promise I’ll post more pictures when we get on the road! I know all these words with no pictures can get quite boring🤣🤣

Last edited:

tribbleorlfl

Back to T-5 Days :(

I was hoping to be able to be writing this post in the car on the way to Orlando, but Dorian is just not cooperating, so we’ve had to cancel the Universal portion of our trip. Costco Travel was very accommodating and gave us a full refund which was a relief! We’re rescheduling for December, so I’m not super disappointed.

Our new plan is to drive down Tuesday and hit Disney Springs for dinner. I’ve also been dying to try the new edible cookie dough food truck there! Then we’ll stick with our original schedule of going to the parks Wednesday-Saturday.

Again, this is all still dependent on weather. As of now Dorian is supposed to hit Orlando on Tuesday, so hopefully worst case scenario I’ll just have to call Disney and try to move our Magic Kingdom plans from Wednesday to Sunday. I’m still optimistic everything will work out!

I’ll post again when we have a better idea exactly what the hurricane will do. Also, just a side note I promise I’ll post more pictures when we get on the road! I know all these words with no pictures can get quite boring🤣🤣
Fyi, the latest forecast has the eye passing through the Orlando early Wednesday morning, so it's doubtful you'll get to eat in Disney springs Tuesday night or go to the parks on Wednesday.

stratman50th

Just saw this so you are already here. I would enjoy yourself. The storm isn't supposed to get here until early Tuesday morning sometime and be north of Orlando on the 4th. They're forecasting a Cat1 as it passes. The gas stations were out of gas yesterday (tankers are still coming in so the panic is entirely unnecessary). Our Publix ran out of bottled water yesterday at 2:00pm. To be honest, you'll probably be fine. They just have no idea at this point though what the track will be for the next 24 to 36 hours. You'll have to contend with some afternoon thunderstorms over the next few days but they aren't hurricane related and well, that's Florida!
Best of luck to you and your trip! Enjoy.
PS: OMG this is crazy the way people are cleaning out the shelves! I used to live in the metro DC area and this is what a forecasted snow storm was like!

Mainahman

Just saw this so you are already here. I would enjoy yourself. The storm isn't supposed to get here until early Tuesday morning sometime and be north of Orlando on the 4th. They're forecasting a Cat1 as it passes. The gas stations were out of gas yesterday (tankers are still coming in so the panic is entirely unnecessary). Our Publix ran out of bottled water yesterday at 2:00pm. To be honest, you'll probably be fine. They just have no idea at this point though what the track will be for the next 24 to 36 hours. You'll have to contend with some afternoon thunderstorms over the next few days but they aren't hurricane related and well, that's Florida!
PS: OMG this is crazy the way people are cleaning out the shelves! I used to live in the metro DC area and this is what a forecasted snow storm was like!
Im from the northeast originally... we call it french toast season for a reason. go to the store at any onset of snow... no milk, eggs, bread, bottled water, and allens coffee brandy to be had....

the_disney_dreamer

Original Poster
We actually still haven’t left since we were driving we held off. I’m going to call Disney now and ask if can move everything ahead two days including fastpasses. Hopefully they’ll be accommodating!

the_disney_dreamer

Original Poster
T-1 DAY FOR REAL THIS TIME!!

So sorry for not updating any sooner. I was honestly scared I was going to jinx us if I posted anything😂😂 Hopefully I don’t end up jinxing us anyways by saying this, but it looks like we’ll make it to Disney world this week! Definitely not according to our original plan, but we’ll get there none the less, which is all that matters!

We were originally planning to move our park tickets two days later and be there from September 5-September 10. After a 3 hour wait on the phone and a quite rude cast member (I know she had had a long busy day, but there was no reason to take it out on me) we were able to move our tickets. That meant having to rebook our fast passes for Epcot and Magic Kingdom. I was able to pretty much get the original ones I wanted in Epcot (I ended up with them one hour later than my original plans), but Magic Kingdom had absolutely no good fast passes left. I was absolutely distraught. All the planning would just go to waste for that day. I get that it’s weather and it is what it is, though, and I wasn’t going to let it ruin our trip.

Before bed though, in a moment of what felt like misplaced optimism that convinced me we could somehow get there on Thursday without feeling the effects of the hurricane, I randomly decided to move our tickets one day earlier again on the MDE app since it was free to do it(it would’ve been nice to know I could do it on the app to start with before I wasted 3 hours on the phone🤣🤣). Our tickets were still valid through September 9th anyways, so I thought no harm no foul. I went ahead and booked fast passes at Magic Kingdom for that day too, since they had my top choice attractions at my top choice times. I fully expected to cancel them in the morning though and deal with whatever scraps were left.

Sure enough I wake up the next day and turn on the weather channel to hear them saying it’s moved drastically East. I was delighted, knowing we were far from in the clear, but we at least had a chance. So we kept our original fast passes and my mom called the Dolphin to move our reservations.

Just a side note by the way, but the customer service at the Dolphin was spectacular. They gladly rebooked us three times and even gave us the lowest price, which was $40 less than we had originally booked for!! Also when my mom mentioned I would be celebrating my birthday while we were there, they upgraded us to a balcony room with a fireworks view. Gotta love that Disney birthday magic!!

With the storm’s track still staying east as I’m writing this, our plan is to drive just over halfway to Gainesville tomorrow. Then we’ll spend the night there with the storm hopefully passing by Orlando in the middle of the night, and make it to Orlando by midday Wednesday. So far our only plans on Wednesday are to hang out at Disney springs and grab lunch or dinner there, and enjoy our beautiful resort.

My bags are packed and Olaf is ready to go!!

Disney here we come!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom