DAST pass

Taking my two elderly parents to WDW this week to celebrate my birthday. My dad has problems with his knees but he’s a retired Captain in the Navy & will refuse a scooter or wheel chair but I’m worried about him standing in line for long. I’ve heard about a DAST pass but not sure if he would qualify? Does anyone know if this would be an appropriate use of one? I know it’s being abused by streamers on YouTube & im not one of those types - but I was just wondering if it’s something I should get for him. Is it hard to get? Do you need a doctors note? AP holder here but I’m just not sure? Thanks for any help in this matter.

DisAl

He most likely will NOT qualify for the disability assistance pass. And even that won't completely prevent standing in lines.
One approach you might take with him is for him to get a scooter or chair for the benefit of the rest of the family. We had the same issues with my now 91 year old mother. She can handle short distances fine but no way she could handle our average 8 miles a day in the parks. Once she understood she was depriving the whole family of being able to get the most out of the day we started using a wheelchair and could cover 4 times as much territory and she finally admitted that was what we needed to do for the benefit of the family.
So ask him to do it for the family, not for himself and see if that works. Go for the scooter so somebody doesn't have to push it! (We have to go with the wheelchair. I don't have enough liability insurance to turn her loose on a scooter. :rolleyes: )

Upvote 0

Nick Garrick

Original Poster
I'm sorry but they won't issue them for mobility reasons. He really should reconsider on a wheel chair or scooter if he has issues.
I'm sorry but they won't issue them for mobility reasons. He really should reconsider on a wheel chair or scooter if he has issues.
He most likely will NOT qualify for the disability assistance pass. And even that won't completely prevent standing in lines.
One approach you might take with him is for him to get a scooter or chair for the benefit of the rest of the family. We had the same issues with my now 91 year old mother. She can handle short distances fine but no way she could handle our average 8 miles a day in the parks. Once she understood she was depriving the whole family of being able to get the most out of the day we started using a wheelchair and could cover 4 times as much territory and she finally admitted that was what we needed to do for the benefit of the family.
So ask him to do it for the family, not for himself and see if that works.
See that’s what I’ve been telling him because we’d all share riding it! LOL I just wasn’t exactly sure what the DAST pass was used for & I KNOW for a fact it is currently being abused - but like I said I’m not going to lie or cheat to get it because I’m not like that. I’m hoping to get him to use something!

Upvote 0
Okay, so we go to WDW again in late January. In the past I have been able to get my wife a disability pass, although we didn't do it this past October because she just stayed around the hotel, the Riviera, and didn't go on any rides. This time, though, we'll have 4 grandkids with us and she wants to try. She is a breast cancer patient (surgery 3 years ago - 2 years to go to be cleared), has had 3 hip replacements and 2 back surgeries in the last 3 years. She has a helluva time walking, although she doesn't use a cane. She is 69 years old and once was an amazing athlete. We are AP holders. Could she qualify again for the disability pass and if so, where does she get them? The usual places in October seemed to be closed. Thanks.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Disney Parks Disability Access Service Card Fact Sheet​

Disney Parks have an unwavering commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment and accessible experiences for guests.
Disney Parks is modifying the current Guest Assistance Card program, which provides access to attractions for guests with disabilities, so it can continue to serve the guests who truly need it. The new program is designed to provide the special experience guests have come to expect from Disney. It will also help control abuse that was, unfortunately, widespread and growing at an alarming rate.
The new Disability Access Service (DAS) will allow Guests with disabilities at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort to receive a return time for attractions based on the current wait time. Guests Relations at the front of each park will continue to assist Guests and provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances.
Frequently Asked Questions
  • What is DAS and how does it work?
    The DAS Card is designed to accommodate guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). DAS will be issued at Guest Relations main entrance locations and will offer guests a return time for attractions based on the current wait time. As soon as the Guest finishes one attraction, they can receive a return time for another. This service can be used in addition to Disney’s FASTPASS Service and Disney FastPass+ service.

• What will Disney Parks do if a Guest is concerned DAS doesn’t meet their needs?
    Disney Parks have long recognized and accommodated guests with varying needs and will continue to work individually with guests with disabilities to provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances. Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their individual needs.

• Who will be eligible for DAS?
    Disney Parks’ goal is to accommodate guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their assistance needs.

• How will guests get DAS?
    DAS will be issued at Guest Relations main entrance locations. Guests will participate in a registration process, which also includes having their photo taken.

• Why is Disney Parks doing this?
    Disney Parks is modifying the current Guest Assistance Card program so it can continue to serve the guests who truly need it. The new program is designed to provide the special experience guests have come to expect from Disney. Disney Parks also hopes it will help control abuse that was, unfortunately, widespread and growing at an alarming rate.

• Does the guest utilizing DAS have to be present to obtain a return time at an attraction?
    No. Another member of the DAS Cardholder’s travel party may obtain a return time but the DAS Cardholder must board the attraction with his or her party.

• Where do guests utilizing DAS go to receive return times?
    At Disneyland Resort, guests will go to Guest Relations kiosks located throughout the parks to receive a return time. At Walt Disney World Resort, guests will go to the attraction to receive a return time.

• Does a guest utilizing DAS have to ride the attraction at the exact return time listed?
    No. Return times are valid until redeemed by the guest utilizing DAS.

• How long is DAS valid?
    DAS card is valid for up to 14 days depending on a guest’s ticket entitlement.

• Is DAS issued at one Disney theme park valid at other Disney theme parks?
    Yes, DAS will be valid throughout the resort at which it was issued.

• Why doesn’t Disney Parks ask for proof of disability, such as a doctor’s note?
    Disney Parks takes Guests at their word and there are legal restrictions around asking for proof.

• Is this the only service available to Guests with disabilities?
    Disney Parks offer a variety of services to guests with disabilities, such as Disney’s Handheld Device that offers assistive listening, captioning and audio description. Additionally, Disney Parks has developed a “Guide for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities.” This serves as a tool on how best to experience its theme parks and is expected to be available online by mid-October.

Disney Parks will continue to provide excellent guest service and accessible experiences. Guests should visit Guest Relations at any park should they feel they need assistance due to a disability.

• Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need DAS?
    No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need DAS. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations.

• Will Disney Parks continue to provide a service to wish-granting organizations?
    The change will not affect those who are visiting on trips organized by wish granting organizations. There is a separate program for children with life-threatening illnesses.

• For further questions, please contact: Disability.services@disneyparks.com or (407) 560-2547.

Upvote 0

Disstevefan1

Taking my two elderly parents to WDW this week to celebrate my birthday. My dad has problems with his knees but he’s a retired Captain in the Navy & will refuse a scooter or wheel chair but I’m worried about him standing in line for long. I’ve heard about a DAST pass but not sure if he would qualify? Does anyone know if this would be an appropriate use of one? I know it’s being abused by streamers on YouTube & im not one of those types - but I was just wondering if it’s something I should get for him. Is it hard to get? Do you need a doctors note? AP holder here but I’m just not sure? Thanks for any help in this matter.
Firstly, thanks for your dad’s service. Make no mistake, bad knees are debilitating and will make standing in the very long socially distanced queues a real challenge.

Try to convince dad to rent a wheel chair. Unfortunately dad must be wheeled into guest services if you want DAS. When dad feels up to it he can walk and the wheel chair will be there if or when he needs it. A lot of folks with limitations but can walk a little use the empty wheel chair as sort of a walker, pushing the empty chair is in itself supportive.

Upvote 0

DisAl

"Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need DAS?
No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need DAS. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations."

The reason for this is that most mobility issues can be addressed by the use of a wheelchair or scooter. There are some rides that even have special ride vehicles that will allow the person to remain in their chair or scooter. DAS is more often used to help individuals with other issues such as autism who can have problems waiting in lines.

Upvote 0

Disney Parks Disability Access Service Card Fact Sheet​

Disney Parks have an unwavering commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment and accessible experiences for guests.
Disney Parks is modifying the current Guest Assistance Card program, which provides access to attractions for guests with disabilities, so it can continue to serve the guests who truly need it. The new program is designed to provide the special experience guests have come to expect from Disney. It will also help control abuse that was, unfortunately, widespread and growing at an alarming rate.
The new Disability Access Service (DAS) will allow Guests with disabilities at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort to receive a return time for attractions based on the current wait time. Guests Relations at the front of each park will continue to assist Guests and provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances.
Frequently Asked Questions
  • What is DAS and how does it work?
    The DAS Card is designed to accommodate guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). DAS will be issued at Guest Relations main entrance locations and will offer guests a return time for attractions based on the current wait time. As soon as the Guest finishes one attraction, they can receive a return time for another. This service can be used in addition to Disney’s FASTPASS Service and Disney FastPass+ service.

• What will Disney Parks do if a Guest is concerned DAS doesn’t meet their needs?
    Disney Parks have long recognized and accommodated guests with varying needs and will continue to work individually with guests with disabilities to provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances. Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their individual needs.

• Who will be eligible for DAS?
    Disney Parks’ goal is to accommodate guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their assistance needs.

• How will guests get DAS?
    DAS will be issued at Guest Relations main entrance locations. Guests will participate in a registration process, which also includes having their photo taken.

• Why is Disney Parks doing this?
    Disney Parks is modifying the current Guest Assistance Card program so it can continue to serve the guests who truly need it. The new program is designed to provide the special experience guests have come to expect from Disney. Disney Parks also hopes it will help control abuse that was, unfortunately, widespread and growing at an alarming rate.

• Does the guest utilizing DAS have to be present to obtain a return time at an attraction?
    No. Another member of the DAS Cardholder’s travel party may obtain a return time but the DAS Cardholder must board the attraction with his or her party.

• Where do guests utilizing DAS go to receive return times?
    At Disneyland Resort, guests will go to Guest Relations kiosks located throughout the parks to receive a return time. At Walt Disney World Resort, guests will go to the attraction to receive a return time.

• Does a guest utilizing DAS have to ride the attraction at the exact return time listed?
    No. Return times are valid until redeemed by the guest utilizing DAS.

• How long is DAS valid?
    DAS card is valid for up to 14 days depending on a guest’s ticket entitlement.

• Is DAS issued at one Disney theme park valid at other Disney theme parks?
    Yes, DAS will be valid throughout the resort at which it was issued.

• Why doesn’t Disney Parks ask for proof of disability, such as a doctor’s note?
    Disney Parks takes Guests at their word and there are legal restrictions around asking for proof.

• Is this the only service available to Guests with disabilities?
    Disney Parks offer a variety of services to guests with disabilities, such as Disney’s Handheld Device that offers assistive listening, captioning and audio description. Additionally, Disney Parks has developed a “Guide for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities.” This serves as a tool on how best to experience its theme parks and is expected to be available online by mid-October.

Disney Parks will continue to provide excellent guest service and accessible experiences. Guests should visit Guest Relations at any park should they feel they need assistance due to a disability.

• Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need DAS?
    No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need DAS. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations.

• Will Disney Parks continue to provide a service to wish-granting organizations?
    The change will not affect those who are visiting on trips organized by wish granting organizations. There is a separate program for children with life-threatening illnesses.

• For further questions, please contact: Disability.services@disneyparks.com or (407) 560-2547.
THANK SO MUCH!!! IT'S EXACTLY THE INFO I NEED!!!

Upvote 0

DisAl

When dad feels up to it he can walk and the wheel chair will be there if or when he needs it. A lot of folks with limitations but can walk a little use the empty wheel chair as sort of a walker, pushing the empty chair is in itself supportive.
And, a wheelchair is a GREAT place to hang your tote bags with your raingear, water bottles, jackets you need in the morning and not later in the day, etc.
A tip - mark the chair or scooter with some flagging tape that makes in easy to spot yours among the DOZENS of others you will find in the parking area for every attraction. It will get moved around as CMs consolidate the chairs, scooters, and five thousand strollers.

Upvote 0

Rob562

"Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need DAS?
No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need DAS. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations."

The reason for this is that most mobility issues can be addressed by the use of a wheelchair or scooter. There are some rides that even have special ride vehicles that will allow the person to remain in their chair or scooter. DAS is more often used to help individuals with other issues such as autism who can have problems waiting in lines.

I'll chime in with semi-relevant two second-hand experiences, though one of them pre-dates the current version of the disability system.

Before the change in who was issued a card, and before her knee replacement surgery, my sister couldn't do stairs. (She would only wear her knee-brace about half the time, so it wasn't always obvious she had a problem). She was fine standing in line and walking (at her own pace), but stairs were out of the question. So when she was a chaperone on her daughter's school trip, she got a pass that essentially gave her the same access as a wheelchair at the attractions. (Since much of WDW is already wheelchair friendly, this was mostly limited to things like using the elevator to the boarding platform at Dinosaur and bypassing the last part of the queue at Splash Mountain)

And a friend of mine visits occasionally with his mother. She can walk fine, but would tire and not be able to last a full day. So she would get a wheelchair or scooter. She'd then ride in the chair/scooter to an area, park it and then go to a few nearby attractions, then come back and use it again for a while, perhaps staying in the chair for an attraction. Doing that she was able to rest when she needed to and extend her day.

-Rob

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
See that’s what I’ve been telling him because we’d all share riding it! LOL I just wasn’t exactly sure what the DAST pass was used for & I KNOW for a fact it is currently being abused - but like I said I’m not going to lie or cheat to get it because I’m not like that. I’m hoping to get him to use something!
If you don’t know what it’s used for, how can you be so sure there’s abuse going on?

Invisible disabilities are just that, invisible. In other words you wouldn’t know by looking at someone that they have a disability.

Upvote 0

Nick Garrick

Original Poster
If you don’t know what it’s used for, how can you be so sure there’s abuse going on?

Invisible disabilities are just that, invisible. In other words you wouldn’t know by looking at someone that they have a disability.
No I have a friend who IS abusing it. Don’t go there dear

Upvote 0

Nick Garrick

Original Poster
I don’t know how they got away with it but it is a contentious situation with this person that I don’t argue with. I just thought that if it was so easy for them to get it, for someone who has difficulty standing for long time periods, I thought it would be something to look into. I guess I was wrong. 😕

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I don’t know how they got away with it but it is a contentious situation with this person that I don’t argue with. I just thought that if it was so easy for them to get it, for someone who has difficulty standing for long time periods, I thought it would be something to look into. I guess I was wrong. 😕
They get away with it because they are unethical and have no morals. Cheating a system for their benefit. Not so different to those who use disability placards for their automobiles who are not disabled so they can park closer. Unfortunately to some people rules are meant to be broken. Any rule can be skirted around and abused. Thats how the original GAS policy which was working fine for many years ended up having to be altered. People saw it as a way to get priority entrance to attractions for their entire families, cutting out waits in lines, when none of them were disabled. In fact disabled individuals began hiring themselves out to get others in and enrich themselves.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom