DAS with anxiety disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamabear20192022

Original Poster
Hi all.
Sorry to ask if already been posted but I couldn’t find anything. Going to WDW on aug 7 for 14 days and wondered about the pre registration for DAS and whether anxiety disorder qualifies for this?

Many thanks 😊

correcaminos

I deal with severe GAD along with PTSD and combining with a neurological set of issues I qualify. I'd say mild to moderate GAD would likely not. Severe yes especially if something in line might trigger a panic or anxiety attack. I just say please be honest about whether you need or not or if this is to avoid buying G+ (eta: they will ask why). While I don't do G+ I do tours that also help me through the parks.

Last edited:

Prince-1

You should be fine. You could do it online ahead of time or you can go to any guest relations and do it with them. They are pretty lenient with giving it out. If you truly feel like it will help you enjoy your vacation then there is no reason why you should not try to get it.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I feel like I say this on all these threads, but,....

They do not determine DAS eligibility on your medical condition or diagnosis. They determine it on what hardships that diagnosis or condition has left you with and how those impact your visit in the parks.

So having an anxiety disorder is way too vague for anyone to answer. Even the CM. They're going to need to know why your anxiety disorder limits your park experience enough that a DAS would benefit you.

correcaminos

And I would disagree with that completely.
Not sure how long you've been getting it, but in my experience after doing 3 trips with DAS pre-registering, the questions they ask are not letting one get it easy. I did have someone who denied me because "anxiety doesn't qualify" and ignored the rest even when explaining about triggers in line and totally forgot about neuro issues. One needs to explain exactly what accommodations they need. YMMV but promoting this as easy is bad as it's a never been easy for everyone and it promotes abuse.

correcaminos

I feel like I say this on all these threads, but,....

They do not determine DAS eligibility on your medical condition or diagnosis. They determine it on what hardships that diagnosis or condition has left you with and how those impact your visit in the parks.

So having an anxiety disorder is way too vague for anyone to answer. Even the CM. They're going to need to know why your anxiety disorder limits your park experience enough that a DAS would benefit you.
This - 100%

Prince-1

Not sure how long you've been getting it, but in my experience after doing 3 trips with DAS pre-registering, the questions they ask are not letting one get it easy. I did have someone who denied me because "anxiety doesn't qualify" and ignored the rest even when explaining about triggers in line and totally forgot about neuro issues. One needs to explain exactly what accommodations they need. YMMV but promoting this as easy is bad as it's a never been easy for everyone and it promotes abuse.

Moving on from this going back and forth but I will say that my wife has gotten it more than 3 times since they rolled out the new changes and never had a single issue with getting a pass. And sorry but it has always been easy to game the system but that's on the people who choose to do so. And answering someone's question about getting the pass doesn't promote anything. Deuces!

correcaminos

They were not this past June. I know of 2 people in the same group who got to the park went to GS said they had anxiety and DAS was received. They both function just fine in real world but apparently Disney is too much for them.
I really don't want to get into a discussion like this without knowing facts. If you saw me IRL you'd guess I was fine. I am not. Currently dealing with a lot of issues in my left lower leg. But to act like they make it easy for all , all the time, especially when discussing pre-registering when you have no first hand reports of this is unhelpful to conversations.

Moving on from this going back and forth but I will say that my wife has gotten it more than 3 times since they rolled out the new changes and never had a single issue with getting a pass. And sorry but it has always been easy to game the system but that's on the people who choose to do so. And answering someone's question about getting the pass doesn't promote anything. Deuces!
If you need it, then it shouldn't be hard (though the process alone is highly time consuming), but just saying GAD isn't enough. One needs to explain what accommodations and not just plain anxiety. They will deny for that more often than not. They have been trained more now it seems to deny. I disagree about ease of gaming unless someone lies. At least now they will threaten if one does. Enjoy your day

Mamabear20192022

Original Poster
Thank you all, having visited the parks over the years and without even knowing the offered DAS until a cast member told me on the last day of my trip last year mid panic attack. I don’t want to be seen as taking advantage etc. I’ve struggled with severe GAD since I was around 14 and recently after having children worsened further. I only struggle on certain attractions so I just avoid them. The medication I take is known to make you more photophobic meaning you can get sun stroke easier and cannot tolerate as long in the sun, in the past this has caused me to faint which isn’t fun at all, it leads to a crowd over you which just aggravates things more. as I will be going august this year I’m aware it’s a much hotter time in Orlando.

I really don’t want to take advantage or be seen as playing the system etc, I’m aware there are people who abuse it etc

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Thank you all, having visited the parks over the years and without even knowing the offered DAS until a cast member told me on the last day of my trip last year mid panic attack. I don’t want to be seen as taking advantage etc. I’ve struggled with severe GAD since I was around 14 and recently after having children worsened further. I only struggle on certain attractions so I just avoid them. The medication I take is known to make you more photophobic meaning you can get sun stroke easier and cannot tolerate as long in the sun, in the past this has caused me to faint which isn’t fun at all, it leads to a crowd over you which just aggravates things more. as I will be going august this year I’m aware it’s a much hotter time in Orlando.

I really don’t want to take advantage or be seen as playing the system etc, I’m aware there are people who abuse it etc

You don't have to explain yourself to anyone here!

DAS threads almost always do this. It was less of an issue with FastPass+ but now with Genie+ I think a lot of people have gone back to seeing DAS as an "advantage" so the old worries about gaming the system have bubbled up again. Nobody is accusing you! 🥰

correcaminos

You don't need to explain why. My warning was after having issues with a CM myself and knowing how unsympathetic they often are and really saving hours of not really the right answer. My heart goes out to you. Having a panic attack in line is no fun... been there myself. It can be hard and like you I avoided some things until a CM told me to go get it. Explain about panic attacks and the medication and I am sure you will be fine. The process online can be daunting in terms of time it takes. So if that becomes too much try in person. The IG GS location is often not busy at all to help with waits.

Mamabear20192022

Original Poster
You don't need to explain why. My warning was after having issues with a CM myself and knowing how unsympathetic they often are and really saving hours of not really the right answer. My heart goes out to you. Having a panic attack in line is no fun... been there myself. It can be hard and like you I avoided some things until a CM told me to go get it. Explain about panic attacks and the medication and I am sure you will be fine. The process online can be daunting in terms of time it takes. So if that becomes too much try in person. The IG GS location is often not busy at all to help with waits.
Sorry to hear you have experienced that, I really hope I get a more understanding CM. I feel anxious just about asking and the process but I know that if I do get the pass it will hopefully make the holiday enjoyable as every year previously I’ve spent thousands to come over from the U.K. to just spend the whole day hiding away in either a baby care centre or just walking round debating rides getting in line and then getting out after about 20-30 mins as that’s as much as I can tolerate in most lines, others less as some are dark and this seems to make me feel worse. It was horrible having a panic attack somewhere there was so many people as I think it scared a lot of people and I still hope now I didn’t scare any children with it 😢

correcaminos

Sorry to hear you have experienced that, I really hope I get a more understanding CM. I feel anxious just about asking and the process but I know that if I do get the pass it will hopefully make the holiday enjoyable as every year previously I’ve spent thousands to come over from the U.K. to just spend the whole day hiding away in either a baby care centre or just walking round debating rides getting in line and then getting out after about 20-30 mins as that’s as much as I can tolerate in most lines, others less as some are dark and this seems to make me feel worse. It was horrible having a panic attack somewhere there was so many people as I think it scared a lot of people and I still hope now I didn’t scare any children with it 😢
It wasn't great which is why I warn - so please know if I sounded judgy it wasn't me judging but prepping in case your CM does. I wrote in about it to let them know the CM was unhelpful at best. But the asking why you need it (in your case the medication alone is good) does happen. I've only had in person renewals years ago just do it and not ask. Hang in there and I'm sure you will be fine. I also know having had one in line I am not sure people noticed or just thought I was upset 🙄 (being lighthearted but true). I give more of a warning than others probably because I've seen some stressful times with it. First time in person, honestly I had a ESL CM. Not to dog those who had another language spoken at birth (many of my immediate family do) but I'm not sure she understood neuropathy much like many of my ESL family wouldn't unless they had it so we had to get a manager approval after hearing me. Focus on what the need it and it goes better. I hope you have a fantastic trip!

Mamabear20192022

Original Poster
It wasn't great which is why I warn - so please know if I sounded judgy it wasn't me judging but prepping in case your CM does. I wrote in about it to let them know the CM was unhelpful at best. But the asking why you need it (in your case the medication alone is good) does happen. I've only had in person renewals years ago just do it and not ask. Hang in there and I'm sure you will be fine. I also know having had one in line I am not sure people noticed or just thought I was upset 🙄 (being lighthearted but true). I give more of a warning than others probably because I've seen some stressful times with it. First time in person, honestly I had a ESL CM. Not to dog those who had another language spoken at birth (many of my immediate family do) but I'm not sure she understood neuropathy much like many of my ESL family wouldn't unless they had it so we had to get a manager approval after hearing me. Focus on what the need it and it goes better. I hope you have a fantastic trip!
Thank you for all your help! I’m definitely hoping to have a good trip for the little ones! My daughter is 3 and so definitely ready to experience and appreciate the magic a bit more this year. Baby is only 6 months but I’m sure he will love it to

maemae74

I really don't want to get into a discussion like this without knowing facts. If you saw me IRL you'd guess I was fine. I am not. Currently dealing with a lot of issues in my left lower leg. But to act like they make it easy for all , all the time, especially when discussing pre-registering when you have no first hand reports of this is unhelpful to conversations.

If you need it, then it shouldn't be hard (though the process alone is highly time consuming), but just saying GAD isn't enough. One needs to explain what accommodations and not just plain anxiety. They will deny for that more often than not. They have been trained more now it seems to deny. I disagree about ease of gaming unless someone lies. At least now they will threaten if one does. Enjoy your day
My response was to you saying it was now hard to get a DAS and I was just telling you that 2 people in my travel group who I know very well got them with little to no trouble . I also know they really don't need it and they were very clear to the rest of our group in conveying just that. So yes it was absolutely helpful to the conversation.

Chi84

Premium Member
This is not true. They've cracked down on DAS use big time lately.
This is the internet. Some people have widely varying experiences, some report second-hand accounts of what others were told, some make things up for whatever reason. As in every case, you just have to read the comments carefully and try to judge the credibility for yourself. Hopefully, people understand how important it is for those who truly need DAS to get it and that abusing the system makes it harder for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom