DAS requirements

PrincessVic

Hopefully this is in the right place!!!!
I've been reading about the DAS, and I contacted WDW to see if I would be eligible for this - I know it gets decided at the park but wanted an idea to save embarrassing myself! The response was to go to guest services when I arrive - so thought with all your wisdom on here I may get some idea!!!!

Basically, a couple of months ago I had a 2nd surgery to reconstruct part of my wrist after a severe chemical burn. I currently have a 8+ inch scar which is very painful to touch due to nerve damage. I will be wearing a hefty wrist brace and anaesthetic dressings to help prevent it being knocked etc, but I am in a large amount of pain day to day. I do take strong medication, but that leaves me feeling very fatigued and also with bad anxiety.
I don't want to take the mick, I realise that there are people with greater needs than myself for the DAS - but if it is there and I do qualify, then my husband said it would be silly to pass on it. I am stressing quite badly at the moment about waiting in long queues, and for things like the parades where it gets busy. However, I am determined not to let this ruin our holiday which we have been looking forward to for so long (had a year off WDW last year ).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

mj2v

You should be fine. My wife received the DAS for a time due to complications from surgery. The condition was not visible, and the few questions that were asked were very basic.

I got one for a short time recently at Universal, and had a similar experience. We had just gotten our Premium annuals, which come with express pass after 4, but due to medications and pain, I could only do about 1-2 hours in the park max, and by 4 every day I was ready for nighty night... They were awesome as well, and worked with us to allow us to use the annual so my kids could have a good time and I could accompany them when possible. We only used it a few times, but it allowed us to visit when we would have had to skip it. My condition is also not readily noticible, but my MRI says it all.

The main thing the parks are trying to prevent is outright abuse. It's a very delicate balance to having a program that is workable for most. In unique situations, the parks can make exceptions to normal operations.

Upvote 0

PrincessVic

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply, it has been really helpful. I don't want to be seen as trying to abuse the system as my problems may seem minor compared to a lot of people. But at the moment everything is a challenge, and I just want to enjoy my holiday as much as I can!

Upvote 0

NonnaT

If only everybody had your integrity... I hope you have a magical trip, and I truly hope that your burn heals well! Of course you're entitled, you have a legitimate injury that requires special care...

Upvote 0

PrincessVic

Original Poster
Thank you, that actually means a lot as right now I am feeling a bit of a fraud even thinking about it!!! But I will explain to guest services my situation, and leave it to them to decide.
19 months and 2 surgeries and I am getting there, thanks. Will be a long process unfortunately but could have been so much worse.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

By all means, stop at Guest Services and get a DAS pass. From the sounds of it, you won't need to use it all that frequently, as many of the headliner rides that attract long lines (e.g., coasters and simulators) are not ones you'd want to do with a painful, injured wrist! But for the attractions where you might need it, you'll be glad to have it.

I don't know (perhaps others can weigh in) whether getting a DAS has any effect on the normal FP+ allotment you would otherwise get. Assuming you still have 3 FP+ to use, try and use them for accommodations that the DAS can't provide by itself: for example, if you are concerned about "crowd jostling" before parades, use a FP+ to get yourself into the less-crowded reserved viewing area, etc.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom