DAS pass & fishy things going on?

mikeanabean

I have arthritis in my hips and back you could not tell by looking @ me but the pain associated with waiting in a line and shuffling causes a lot of pain. (All documented medically) I only started using the das pass due to the pain but did not want to because of the assumptions and jeers of people like you. When I started to use the saw pss I would bring a note from my doc and my handicap placard but guess service said they cannot look @ it but took my word. There are people with problems that cannot be seen.

ELG13

I didnt assume that they would have difficulty waiting. It's the fact that I'm seeing people abusing the system that no one is talking about. I watched a CM beep through a group of 15 through the disability line and I'm going to take a good guess they didn't do 15 rider swaps. I was using the fact that Disney should be doing more to enforce rules because it's unfair to those who actually are waiting 90 minutes for a ride.
When I inquired about the DAS pass for our autistic son I was informed that 6 people could be in the party so having 15 people beeped through would mean 2 DAS passes with that group or something else. I appreciate having the ability to wait somewhere with our son. Usually its close by and we enjoy a snack while we wait and we only use it for longer lines. I know people take advantage of it because the way I was informed about it was through a coworker who got it for issues that are no longer issues but "could flare up at any moment" when the last time was over 15 years ago so...yes people abuse it. People will always abuse things given in the hopes of people being honest. Does it suck? Yes. Especially for those of us that really donuse them properly and appreciate them more than most can understand.

Minnesota disney fan

I have arthritis in my hips and back you could not tell by looking @ me but the pain associated with waiting in a line and shuffling causes a lot of pain. (All documented medically) I only started using the das pass due to the pain but did not want to because of the assumptions and jeers of people like you. When I started to use the saw pss I would bring a note from my doc and my handicap placard but guess service said they cannot look @ it but took my word. There are people with problems that cannot be seen.

I understand what you are saying, as someone who has a hidden disease with severe pain all the time and mobiliuty issues due to wide spread arthritis. My husband has nerve damage in his legs and has difficulty even walking.
However, when we use a scooter, we are able to ride it right up to where the ride uploads. There is no standing in line. You might wait in line a while on your scooter, but you always go directly to the loading area. AT least that has been our experience.
You might want to try a scooter to see if that helps. Neither of us wanted to ride a scooter, but after we tried it? The less pain from walking all over WDW and standing in line was a game changer. I hope you give it a try.

EngineerMom

I support the idea of DAS and I certainly hope there is little abuse.
I was surprised that the new system allows for 2 appointments ahead of time per day. That is almost like the old fastpass system.
I would like Disney to see ick with the old system of going to a ride and getting a return time. That still gives the DAS person the ability to do something else instead of waiting in line which is a benefit

Goofyernmost

You've probably heard this before but I have back and arthritis in my hips and have the same problem standing in those lines and slowly shuffling to the front. In fact I cannot do it without disabling pain. I solved that problem by renting a scooter. I can and most of the time do move short distances and no one would know that I had a problem by looking, even I don't have an issue with short distances but the scooter can go right up to load and be waiting when you get off.

I honestly didn't notice anyone looking weirdly at me or heard anyone say anything either but even if they had all they would have gotten, at worse, a one finger salute and I would have been on my way. I think the idea that so many people get upset because they see someone using one is overblown anyway. I really don't think anyone cares. With a scooter (or wheelchair) you are in the same line at the same location in the line walking or riding. There is no special placement if you are standing or riding in. So there is no benefit other then the easing of whatever ailment you have. But, they also are a PITA to deal with, but the lack of pain and the enjoyment of the experience more than makes up for the minor negative things, like being butt level to everyone. I think you can imagine why.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
My wife and I used a DAS pass the last time we visited in early 2021. She can not be in lines and is on a ECV because of a bad hip. We probably waited on average an extra 15 to 30 minutes after our return times because that was the length of the Fast Pass line. This was consistent across all 4 parks. So in most cases it is not quicker especially with the inflated wait times WDW is currently using. The wait posted is 30 minutes but in reality it is only 15. Regular line waits 15 minutes but someone using DAS waits 30 to 45 minutes.

Tom Morrow

I'm not advocating for trying to guess who is and who isn't abusing it, but yes, some people do abuse it.

The old system (GAC) was so abused, in fact, that they had to create DAS. GAC accounted for as high as 1/4th of everyone riding every ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom