Damage repair status?

montyz81

Original Poster
I used that cryptic title so this thread would not go crazy, anyone know what the status of the Pink and Purple are in terms of repairs?

board57796

They can't start to fix them until the investigation is wrapped up, but I have been told they may already be working on two completely new cars/cabs, and that the two involved in the accident may be scraped completely. Don't know for now. It was eerie to see Purple again though.

montyz81

Original Poster
so it would jsut be the damaged cars that get replaced and not the whole train. Did you get pictures of the cars in the barn?

board57796

Yeah each train still has 5 out of 6 working cars, they would just build/repair the two damaged cars, 1 from each train.

And nooooo way was I going to risk that. They don't allow pictures in there even before the accident. No one is allowed on the side of shop they are on (there is a large wall dividing shop in half, 5 beams on each side of it) but you can see the back ends of the trains from the "good" side of shop, and I could see Purples undamaged Cab 6, but not Pinks (since it had been removed.)

Before they removed it, you could see the damaged end of Pink, covered up, from the open part of shop.

Only Pink and Purple are allowed on that side of shop (bringing another train over there means the pilot would be able to see the 2 trains), so we now only have 5 spots available for trains at night, which means you now see 5 trains parked outside instead of the usual 2, before the accident.

montyz81

Original Poster
wait, I thought they used to overnight 2 monorails in the Contemporary, or is that only in a hurricane?

board57796

They alternate where they used to keep the 2 stay outs. Usually it was at least 1 on one of the 3 beams at TTC, and another at MK or Contemporary. Now they need to keep 5 out, and it just depends on what is move convenient for custodial. May be 3 at TTC, 1 in Contemp and 1 at MK, or any combo of TTC, MK, Poly, Contemp, Grand Flo or Epcot. Epcot, Poly and GF are rare to keep trains at, just because its tough to get a CM there to "open" the train in the morning.

montyz81

Original Poster
Does anyone have any pictures of Monorails in the Contemporary during a Hurrican with the storm doors closed? (There are storm doors on the Contemporary aren't there?)

Monorail_Red

Does anyone have any pictures of Monorails in the Contemporary during a Hurrican with the storm doors closed? (There are storm doors on the Contemporary aren't there?)
Try a Google image search. I've seen one out there before. But it was a long time ago and I don't remember where. They also park the trains nose-to-nose in the Contemporary if it's too cold at night to be left outside.

JamboJohn

This is only rumour since everyone who would have info is under an iron clad gag order but... According to some folks I know, the NTSB has the two cabs that were in contact with each other. They will NOT be rebuilt because of costs and other reasons. The monorails have cabs at both ends so the plan is to piece together the remaining cars and cabs from the two trains and give it a new paint scheme. There is no time frame for this to happen at this point. Disney is running on ten trains and when they are able to salvage the other cars, it will bring them back to 11 trains instead of the 12 that were usually in operation.

I know that when we had an accident at Safaris in Animal Kingdom (guide drove the truck into a tree during the poacher chase), that truck sat untouched after the accident in the VM lot for over a year while all the litigation from "injured guests" was resolved. Hell, for all I know, it might STILL be there all bent up and twisted!!

montyz81

Original Poster
This is only rumour since everyone who would have info is under an iron clad gag order but... According to some folks I know, the NTSB has the two cabs that were in contact with each other. They will NOT be rebuilt because of costs and other reasons. The monorails have cabs at both ends so the plan is to piece together the remaining cars and cabs from the two trains and give it a new paint scheme. There is no time frame for this to happen at this point. Disney is running on ten trains and when they are able to salvage the other cars, it will bring them back to 11 trains instead of the 12 that were usually in operation.

I know that when we had an accident at Safaris in Animal Kingdom (guide drove the truck into a tree during the poacher chase), that truck sat untouched after the accident in the VM lot for over a year while all the litigation from "injured guests" was resolved. Hell, for all I know, it might STILL be there all bent up and twisted!!
This seems conflicting. I have heard that they are building two new cars and will operate the trains again with new front end and rear end cabs and the original colors. Can someone say for sure if this rumor is true or untrue. I believe it is untrue mostly because the NTSB is done with their investigation.

JamboJohn

This seems conflicting. I have heard that they are building two new cars and will operate the trains again with new front end and rear end cabs and the original colors. Can someone say for sure if this rumor is true or untrue. I believe it is untrue mostly because the NTSB is done with their investigation.

like I said, I would call what I said rumor at this point as everyone who would know is under a gag order. I do have a friend who is a monorail pilot and what I was told was just being discussed amongst those cast members (hourly and management). I do know that Bombardier does not produce that particular model anymore and that they sold off their mass transit division a couple of years ago.

so... who really knows. I do know that NOTHING will be done with the front and back portions for quite some time. everything will be preserved until all legal litigation is complete as there will certainly be things appear in court as findings are published. and no, the NTSB has not completed their assessment. Their initial finding is that there was no mechanical malfunction but the full report has not and probably will not be completed for some time.

montyz81

Original Poster
like I said, I would call what I said rumor at this point as everyone who would know is under a gag order. I do have a friend who is a monorail pilot and what I was told was just being discussed amongst those cast members (hourly and management). I do know that Bombardier does not produce that particular model anymore and that they sold off their mass transit division a couple of years ago.

so... who really knows. I do know that NOTHING will be done with the front and back portions for quite some time. everything will be preserved until all legal litigation is complete as there will certainly be things appear in court as findings are published. and no, the NTSB has not completed their assessment. Their initial finding is that there was no mechanical malfunction but the full report has not and probably will not be completed for some time.
Sorry if I sounded negative/derogatory. I was really just trying to find out if there was someone in the know. I have heard your rumor and the one I stated about the new cabs. I thought that if they were both stated close to each other someone in the know would come out of the woodwork and tell us the real story.

breakin2

I think they should combine the two remnants of the monorails and paint them whatever color you get when you mix purple and pink.

montyz81

Original Poster
Anyone have any update on the repair status of the two monorails. Believe it or not, it has been over 2 months since the accident.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom