D23 Memberships Discounted

wendysue

I just feel like they dropped the ball. Why should I pay a large sum of money to receive a magazine that anyone can buy at Disney Stores (and book stores)? Living somewhere other than FL or CA, the perks to me were next to none.

And the magazine itself isn't nearly as interesting as the now defunct Disney Magazine imo.

D23 could be something great (and I'm sure it IS something great to CA residents) but until they learn how to keep the rest of the country involved it'll never work. There's really no reason why the 2011 expo couldn't have been held in WDW.

I agree, am a charter member, but this is my last year. Wont renew. What they consider perks, are way too expensive and too far away.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I agree, am a charter member, but this is my last year. Wont renew. What they consider perks, are way too expensive and too far away.

I was too, and let my membership lapse. The events they offered at WDW were just too random and too expensive for me as well....

Jekyll_Baker

My membership is about to lapse also. Been debating on whether to renew or not. Like everyone else, there's just no benefit for anyone outside the DL proximity. I did attend the last event at WDW, which did happen to coincide with a vacation. It wasn't bad, but you don't normally have a "mixer" in a restaurant with static tables (everybody pretty much just sat at the tables with whomever they came with) - I expected more of a mix&mingle (hors d'ouevres, bar, maybe a small presentation).
And as far as the magazine--the only tangible benefit of membership for those of us outside California-- it's nice, but not worth $18 each (about a quarter of the $75 renewal). And I was also kinda surprised when I saw the last two editions of the mag for sale at the resort gift shop (POFQ).

Wow. I think I made my decision while typing this out :)

Tigger1988

And I was also kinda surprised when I saw the last two editions of the mag for sale at the resort gift shop (POFQ).
Imagine my surprise when I saw copies for sale at my local mall. How "exclusive" indeed!

The more people who don't renew, the better. Hopefully it sends them a message.

WDWFigment

I got a subscription for Christmas and won't be renewing. I'll probably get Tales from the Laughing Place instead. Bought 13 issues of that on eBay and it's awesome!

I would renew D23, however, if a WDW event coincided with one of our trips and I wanted to go. At that point, I'd see sufficient value.

EpcotServo

Wait, they actually don't like it? And they're abandoning ship? Oh wow, I actually didn't see this coming and it was my stance from Day 1.
:lol: :lookaroun

WDWFigment

Wait, they actually don't like it? And they're abandoning ship? Oh wow, I actually didn't see this coming and it was my stance from Day 1.
:lol: :lookaroun

I like it just fine; I think it's a very well done magazine, and given greater finances I'd certainly renew. However, given my circumstances, and also my inability to avail myself of the other benefits (D23 convention (discount), DLR events, WDW events, etc.) I won't be renewing. I think the value-for-money is certainly there for some, just not for me.

Your statements since day 1 have been painting with a pretty broad brush. Some members definitely see value in the product. Others don't. To the extent that Disney is now discounting to retain/lure members, you're right that people are jumping ship.

KevinYee

It's an amazing time to be a magazine fan. I think Tales, Celebration, D23, and Orlando Attractions are all worthwhile subscriptions. If you get all of them, as I do, the prices start to add up, but it's still worth it. D23 may be the lowest on the price/value scale since it's so expensive.

brucie

I am a charter member and did renew my membership, I don't live anywhere near DL or WDW, yes it's expensive but I think the magazine is great and I love the little extras you get along with it, does it need some work..... yes. But I think it will get better as they continue to reorganize and realize that they might need to offer more to keep anyone except the crazy die hards like me:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom