D23 - @loumongello just tweeted this

Jakester

i will be following updates pretty closely the next few days to see whats going to be new. Visting Magic Kingdom tomorrow (8/20/11)

Gregoryp73

So are the cars swinging freely with the turns or is it more controlled? Video would hint to the former but either way, looks cool.

The Engineers are brilliant for the way they put this together. It's really going to make the ride more exciting, and more fluid. I'm guess that the whole bottom portion of the rounded cabin has counter weights to force the car to tip when presented with centrifugal force. I'm hoping it's not electronic, because this may lead to lot's o downtime. At any rate...man does this look cool!!

fbp

I am very excited for the Fantasy land expansion. This coaster looks fun. I cam imagine how difficult it would be to keep the cars and track strong and safe with all the force of the swinging cars constantly working against it.

I'm also very excited for some WDW news and/or surprises this weekend. When are the WDW presentations?

Kamikaze

"Getting a sneak peek at the Parks & Resorts exhibit at #D23Expo - I don't want to spoil it for you but WOW you will be blown away!!!"

Lets not jump to conclusions. He's just saying the exhibit is really nice, not that there are any surprises or anything like that.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I now know that I picked the wrong engineering field after witnessing the section of the video where the guys were testing the swinging motion of the cars on the back of a truck.:cry:

jt04

First impressions....

It appears most of the external track is away from mermaid and beast which would be great news. Could this be the changes to the layout we heard about?

Buildings can be seen on the north side of the mountain. They almost have to be themed to those areas creating World Showcase type environments which is more good news.

Two buildings can be seen associated with the coaster portion which helps with the theming. The 'forest' looks good but it still needs a Grizzly Peak type icon I think. Or something 'extra' to grab attention to itself. Perhaps a water feature or something.

Finally, if the tents look that good ultimately in circusland it will be a major plus.

Looks pretty good but it still is not as magical or as "elegant" as the original artwork. IMO.

switts

so what time should we start to hear things from the expo. I am sitting at work in front of the computer just waiting for some hopefully good news

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Everything looks really great. The mine car is really cool looking, especially tied down in the back of a truck. :ROFLOL:

In seriousness though. SDMT is going to have to be a fairly slow moving coaster I would think. Too much speed would create too much force on the cars and track with the swinging I think. It would become a maintenance nightmare. Judging from the video, and the artwork, I do not think it needs to be a high speed coaster to generate some mild thrills and a fun experience. So far so good IMO.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
so what time should we start to hear things from the expo. I am sitting at work in front of the computer just waiting for some hopefully good news

I believe the Parks & Resorts presentation begins at 3:30 (local). So not much, officially, until later tonight....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Everything looks really great. The mine car is really cool looking, especially tied down in the back of a truck. :ROFLOL:

In seriousness though. SDMT is going to have to be a fairly slow moving coaster I would think. Too much speed would create too much force on the cars and track with the swinging I think. It would become a maintenance nightmare. Judging from the video, and the artwork, I do not think it needs to be a high speed coaster to generate some mild thrills and a fun experience. So far so good IMO.
I would agree. It also looks like they have dampeners (shocks) on them that can control or at least limit the amount of swing

boufa

We made it most of the way down the second page before someone complained that it was not exactly like the concept art. Must be a new record.

Looks great though. Disney is known for making rides that appeal to all or many different groups of people. This one looks like it may also please. Nothing better than your kids trying to drag you onto a ride that you really like too!

Atomicmickey

OK, I'll be the first to comment this on the video:

EPCOT MUSIC!!

Yeah, baby.

Nothing says innovation like old Epcot music.

Swinging cars are NICE. Way more motion than I was thinking.

Model looks great, wow the mountain portion is a lot higher than I thought.

Bring on some more surprises, but this is really cool to see already.

cmothemoose

I'm actually a little disappointed in the ride system. I was hoping the top of the cars would tilt off toward the outside of the curve. Kind of like a cartoon mine car tipping up on 2 wheels as it rounds a bend a little too quickly. This ride system does just the oppisite. The bottom of the car will swing out toward the outside of the turn. But I guess it will be easier to keep the cars on the track and will keep all the little bottoms planted firmly in the seats.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom