D23 Epcot Forever Poster Series

CaptainAmerica

You may but I haven't kept track recently. I've seen Moana 24x36 for around $100. I think there was a Soarin' too. I know there was a few Guardians too but once World Showcase came around, it's like it all screeched to a stop.

And agreed with the above. Custom framing or portfolio like so:
rfCy471.jpg
1637704307460.png

The worst part is, I don't even LIKE Living Seas. I just need it for completion purposes.

DreamFinder1983

So, other than size, can anybody tell me what is the drawback that these 24x36 reprints are comparative to the original run? Is it literally only the fact that the first run was limited edition and numbered and smaller? Or is there actually something different/better/worse with the inks themselves? I don’t know… the 24x36 ones look pretty brilliant to me and for the sizing to actually fit a proper off-the-shelf frame, that’s probably reason enough for me to go that route had I been given the choice. I’ll just be a tad sad if they don’t eventually do all the designs as they did before… I do believe I read somewhere or learned that it would only be select ones.

Though, if they were just doing ones relevant to the new projects and yet put out something like Horizons and Mission: SPACE together or Malestrom and Frozen Ever After together… you’d think you would’ve at least seen relevant pairs like that with ones like Kitchen Kabaret and Soarin’ released together, The Living Seas and Nemo released together, Universe of Energy and Guardians released together, Wonders of Life and the PLAY! Pavilion released together, etc.

I guess my logic isn’t Disney’s logic then… anyway. Is there any hope that they may get Cyclops to go ahead and finish the set in the 24x36 sizing eventually? Or do you think come December’s end, what’s been done will be what’s been done and no more to be seen?

hopemax

Wow! Haha… thanks for that bit of insight. So, I take it that it may prove to be a bit of a challenge to complete my set trying to find the early ones. Unless you think out of all the ones I could be missing, because of the optics of this scenario as you describe, missing the earliest ones has better chances to finding them than later ones once scalpers caught on?

Anyway. I guess my question for those of you who jumped on the 2020 series… how in the heck did y’all frame them? They don’t make frames in that awkward as heck size really at all to my knowledge, so when they tinkered with the sizing to not only make them bigger but with a black paper to help hide the edges even more with a size that fit a standard poster sizing of frame, I knew it was something to jump on at that point because I wasn’t about to get frames custom made for all those 18x27 ones… I have three posters from the Walt Disney Studios presentation of the D23 Expo in 2019 that are that awkward size as well and unless I get an expensive custom frame job done or scour the four corners of the earth online apparently, I’ll never find frames for those. So… what have you guys done to frame them??
I am using the "floating" technique to mat them on a mat of standard frame size. The borders will be uneven, but my "Print on Demand" Disneyland posters have uneven white borders so it doesn't bother me. And I wanted the thin silver border on the poster to be visible.

I bought this tape to attach the poster to the mat from Amazon:

Lineco Acid-Free Gummed Linen Tape 1 in. x 50 yd. roll White Linen Tape

And I bought 24x36 frames from Michaels during last year Black Friday. (edit: Oooh my frames will match the size of the new ones. Bonus!)

I still have to get the mat board because I keep going back and forth between thinking black would look best, but white would be more matchy with my Print on Demand Disneyland stuff. So I don't have anything to show.

trainplane3

So, other than size, can anybody tell me what is the drawback that these 24x36 reprints are comparative to the original run? Is it literally only the fact that the first run was limited edition and numbered and smaller? Or is there actually something different/better/worse with the inks themselves? I don’t know… the 24x36 ones look pretty brilliant to me and for the sizing to actually fit a proper off-the-shelf frame, that’s probably reason enough for me to go that route had I been given the choice. I’ll just be a tad sad if they don’t eventually do all the designs as they did before… I do believe I read somewhere or learned that it would only be select ones.

Though, if they were just doing ones relevant to the new projects and yet put out something like Horizons and Mission: SPACE together or Malestrom and Frozen Ever After together… you’d think you would’ve at least seen relevant pairs like that with ones like Kitchen Kabaret and Soarin’ released together, The Living Seas and Nemo released together, Universe of Energy and Guardians released together, Wonders of Life and the PLAY! Pavilion released together, etc.

I guess my logic isn’t Disney’s logic then… anyway. Is there any hope that they may get Cyclops to go ahead and finish the set in the 24x36 sizing eventually? Or do you think come December’s end, what’s been done will be what’s been done and no more to be seen?
The 2020s were all of the pavilions and a size that could fit in more places easily compared to the massive 24x36s. Plus the whole "set size" and hand numbered part of the run was a big deal. People love that little number!

Unless something's changed, December is the end of the run with Imagination and SSE. 16 was the number they had set from the beginning of this year.

2021 was basically "the greatest hits plus what new is coming". Though, WoL happened (not complaining but I would've rather had UoE). But that's why we got Living Seas over Nemo and Horizons over WoM and TT (for example!). Play is basically forgotten at that point so that wasn't rereleased.

If you want more, go fill out the contact form on Cyclops site and shoot an email out to ShopDisney. I know I'd love to have UoE, WoM, American Adventure (come on that white would look great all metallicy), and maybe TT?

CaptainAmerica

I like the 2021 inks better, but I hate the giant goofy size of them. I don't think 24x36 looks very good in anything other than a dedicated media room or a college dorm. It's too poster-y.

... I guess my logic isn’t Disney’s logic then… anyway. Is there any hope that they may get Cyclops to go ahead and finish the set in the 24x36 sizing eventually? Or do you think come December’s end, what’s been done will be what’s been done and no more to be seen?
ShopDisney/Disney in response to your comment on logic (channeling Mexican Bandit leader Gold Hat played by Alfonso Bedoya in 1948's Treasure of the Sierra Madre):

"Logic? We ain't got no logic. We don't need no logic..."

Also what trainplane3 said is correct... it's pretty much confirmed with almost 100% certainty Dec is the end of the run... 16 prints are it for the variants. If you want the balance of the others you'll have to hunt down the OGs from 2020. And I agree... a UoE, Test Track, and one or two others would be a great encore to finish off the metallic variants.

DreamFinder1983

I suppose I’ll send a contact form in to Cyclops and shopDisney as suggested and hope for a miracle to come. However, it’s nice to know that Imagination and Spaceship Earth will see the final scheduled prints… I was really worried I wouldn’t have a Figment one by the end of this! It would be nice they’d at least done Universe of Energy and World of Motion too… T-T

I’m pretty surprised they bothered doing Maelstrom!

FigmentFan82

Wow! Haha… thanks for that bit of insight. So, I take it that it may prove to be a bit of a challenge to complete my set trying to find the early ones. Unless you think out of all the ones I could be missing, because of the optics of this scenario as you describe, missing the earliest ones has better chances to finding them than later ones once scalpers caught on?

Anyway. I guess my question for those of you who jumped on the 2020 series… how in the heck did y’all frame them? They don’t make frames in that awkward as heck size really at all to my knowledge, so when they tinkered with the sizing to not only make them bigger but with a black paper to help hide the edges even more with a size that fit a standard poster sizing of frame, I knew it was something to jump on at that point because I wasn’t about to get frames custom made for all those 18x27 ones… I have three posters from the Walt Disney Studios presentation of the D23 Expo in 2019 that are that awkward size as well and unless I get an expensive custom frame job done or scour the four corners of the earth online apparently, I’ll never find frames for those. So… what have you guys done to frame them??
ArtToFrames - that's the website you want, they can make any size and their prices are good. Lot's off options too. I've not been disappointed by their product

DaleRichMI

ArtToFrames - that's the website you want, they can make any size and their prices are good. Lot's off options too. I've not been disappointed by their product

I also recently purchased 18"x27" frames at Amazon. I'll post a link of the 4 pack I purchased for $99.95 (so $25/each) below, but if you type in 18 27 frame, a few other options also pop up.

amazon.com/gp/product/B08KPS5P95/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good Luck!

CaptainAmerica

Maybe I'm picky but I don't think I'd put these behind plexiglass without any kind of mounting. I'd want real glass, preferably glare-free "museum glass," and a temporary "hinge" mount.

Putting limited edition prints behind an online plexiglass frame is borderline sacrilege.

CaptainAmerica

"Cap, what's the big deal?"

The problem with these frame-it-yourself deals, even if they're custom sized and high quality wood with UV-protective acid-free plexiglass, is that the weight of the poster sits entirely on the bottom edge. Gravity pulls downward, so the body of the print is going to warp and buckle over time. The proper (non-permanent) mounting technique is called a "hinge" mount, and it's basically a special adhesive applied to the top of the poster to stick it to a backing material. The adhesive is only applied to the top of the document, and it hangs freely so that it can expand and contract with changes in temperature and humidity.

Mesa Azul

"Cap, what's the big deal?"

The problem with these frame-it-yourself deals, even if they're custom sized and high quality wood with UV-protective acid-free plexiglass, is that the weight of the poster sits entirely on the bottom edge. Gravity pulls downward, so the body of the print is going to warp and buckle over time. The proper (non-permanent) mounting technique is called a "hinge" mount, and it's basically a special adhesive applied to the top of the poster to stick it to a backing material. The adhesive is only applied to the top of the document, and it hangs freely so that it can expand and contract with changes in temperature and humidity.
You’re correct, but that special adhesive is just mounting tape and the custom frames usually include it or you can just pick up a roll cheap. 100% agree though, and followed those same instructions that came with my custom frame!

CaptainAmerica

For anyone going shopping for frames, this is what I just paid for some Christmas gifts.

18x27 oak with museum glass: $143
18x27 oak with regular glass: $103
24x36 oak with regular glass: $133
24x36 silver metal with regular glass: $139

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom