D23 and the Fan Community...

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, figured it would get moved ... but at least it wasn't buried on a forum no one ever visits here (so thanks to whoever placed it here!)

~GFC~

puntagordabob

Hot off the presses:

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/201...alled-by-the-corporate-approved-fan-club-d23/

I have thoughts, but am more interested in hearing those of others.

~GFC~

I think I have seen Pete at WDW before lol... will have to say Howdy next time I cross paths....

as for the pesonal part about him... just goes to show you that people with all sorts of lifestyles who cannot agree on anything, can come to love the world that Walt Disney started......

llrain

Pete's right about one thing, d23 is the biggest rip off to come along in a long time. 1000.00 to get a sorcerers ticket to get to the front of the line....lol
what sucker would actually pay for that. Love that one

menamechris

I liked the article, but I am not exactly sure what I (the reader) am supposed to take from it.

Is D23 a ripoff? To many in the fanbase - absolutely.
Are head executives of the company out of touch? Most would agree so.
Will you get fired if you break protocol as a Disney employee? Of course.

But the author also didn't hide Werner's apparently obvious arrogance either. In fact he came off in the article (to me) as a rather unsavory individual I wouldn't want to know. And is he seriously offended that Disney did not want to partner up with fanbase websites like his? Especially given that he readily admits that he has been a loose cannon and mouthed off about specific individuals at the management/executive level?

Anyways. Was a good read. I agreed with a lot of it. But didn't come out of it feeling empathetic for the story's main character either...

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Charter D23 member. I think it's worth it. :king:

"Pete" is entitled to think otherwise. :shrug:

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I liked the article, but I am not exactly sure what I (the reader) am supposed to take from it.

But the author also didn't hide Werner's apparently obvious arrogance either. In fact he came off in the article (to me) as a rather unsavory individual I wouldn't want to know. And is he seriously offended that Disney did not want to partner up with fanbase websites like his? Especially given that he readily admits that he has been a loose cannon and mouthed off about specific individuals at the management/executive level?

Anyways. Was a good read. I agreed with a lot of it. But didn't come out of it feeling empathetic for the story's main character either...

I agree with your main point. Werner didn't come off very well in that article at all, and I certainly don't want him speaking for me, though he clearly believes he's the self-appointed "spokesman" for WDW fans.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My thoughts are the same for the most part. I don't think there is any way that Disney can have an "Official" partnership with anything or anyone that is out od their direct control. There is too much of a risk to the company should they officially endorse any fan site then something happens that brings negative publicity to the company. I actually don't want an official relationship between an unofficial fan site and the company.

llrain

No I understand why the disboards are so negatively opinionated and run like
a dictatorship...Look who they have leading it. Based on this article itself
he does sound like someone who you do not want to know

I agree with your main point. Werner didn't come off very well in that article at all, and I certainly don't want him speaking for me, though he clearly believes he's the self-appointed "spokesman" for WDW fans.

Tigger1988

The article came off as very disjointed to me. The forced parallels between Pete and the fired monorail driver were well...forced. It tried to be 3 articles at once, it seemed.

Anyway, I've always maintained that D23 is a major rip off unless you live near Disneyland or Disney World.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The article came off as very disjointed to me. The forced parallels between Pete and the fired monorail driver were well...forced. It tried to be 3 articles at once, it seemed.

Anyway, I've always maintained that D23 is a major rip off unless you live near Disneyland or Disney World.

Or if you live outside the USA.

Membership is the only way to get the magazines in Canada. We don't have Barnes & Noble.

Lee

Adventurer
Two thoughts come to mind after reading the article...

1 - It dismays me what Disney considers to be "media" these days.

2 - If you have thoughts of spending $1000 to be in the front row of any Disney parks presentation (especially one where the likelihood of anything interesting being announced is maybe .05%)....seek help immediately.

I think I may try to set up some sort of 12-step program for Disneyholics. I mean, I love the place....but, damn!

:eek:

Tigger1988

Or if you live outside the USA.

Membership is the only way to get the magazines in Canada. We don't have Barnes & Noble.

The membership price is quite hefty if all you're getting out of it is the magazine (which can probably be found on eBay or other online outlets).

I've found nothing special about the magazine, especially when compared to the superior Disney Magazine. Most of the issues I got while I was a member went unread.

asianway

I'd rather have him than Jeffrey Epstein...

koryadams

I am a D23 member, and I would like to get more out of it...because they can't just have stuff for people who live in Florida and CA. I live in Ohio, and the magazines and special little things really aren't much, they are very nice don't get me wrong, but I feel like I get more from here and other websites for Disney Fans!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Its ironic to me that the disboards is considered the home of the fan community when it seems to be that its mostly newbies asking the same questions that get asked hundreds of times over and over again.

It also bothers me that the moderators aren't very good at cleaning up several threads started.......like when a big story and 20 people decide to start a topic instead of even looking for a few seconds to see if it was posted already.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Its ironic to me that the disboards is considered the home of the fan community when it seems to be that its mostly newbies asking the same questions that get asked hundreds of times over and over again.

It also bothers me that the moderators aren't very good at cleaning up several threads started.......like when a big story and 20 people decide to start a topic instead of even looking for a few seconds to see if it was posted already.

It's very disjointed over there to me. I wonder there every once in a while just to see if I can remember my member name and password and to make sure I still have zero posts. :ROFLOL:

menamechris

2 - If you have thoughts of spending $1000 to be in the front row of any Disney parks presentation (especially one where the likelihood of anything interesting being announced is maybe .05%)....seek help immediately.

The problem being that people truly expected something big to be announced. Ironically enough, not everyone (even huge Disney fans) cruise these message boards. We represent a very small percentage of Disney's fanbase. So given that something huge was officially unveiled last Expo - its not far-fetched that there was a very real expectation there for this last year. This was probably only reinforced by Disney's selling of these "premium" tickets to get up front. I am sure it was lesson learned as they exited the presentation....

The Duck

My thoughts exactly. Pete seems to be the type that's bitter and frustrated that Disney isn't being run according to his specifications. Of course, The Mouse can make us all a little cynical from time to time but the term, "Get a life" was coined for a reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom