D23 20 Years of Adventure- A Mess of A Retrospective

truecoat

And I've been on Millennium Falcon: Target Run four (4) times and Rise Before Dawn once. They were good rides, although Target Run fell flat and pointless for me. The people who designed and created Star Wars Land apparently have no idea what makes Disneyland so great, just like the young shilling author of this article, Ms. Buhlman.

So I started watching the Clone Wars animated series recently to get some back story on characters appearing in the Mandalorian. This Hondo guy shows up in several episodes so far and is a total . Maybe he has a redeeming arc later on but I would have been happy seeing him die in the episodes viewed so far.

What was the thinking on using this guy in MF:TR? I really don't get it now. He has to have a redeeming arc later on or this was a huge mistake.

mickEblu

So I started watching the Clone Wars animated series recently to get some back story on characters appearing in the Mandalorian. This Hondo guy shows up in several episodes so far and is a total ******. Maybe he has a redeeming arc later on but I would have been happy seeing him die in the episodes viewed so far.

What was the thinking on using this guy in MF:TR? I really don't get it now. He has to have a redeeming arc later on or this was a huge mistake.

I think it’s a mistake either way. Even if he ends up being more likeable (never seen the show) it’s so obvious the imagineers were trying to be cool and make this millennials Star Wars land. I’m also saying this as someone who enjoys the ST and have no problem with the direction they went on ROTR. Well that is until I’m reminded that that was our best chance to have Vader make an appearance on an attraction.

It is crazy though when you think about it. Darth Vader (1977- present) no AA or any real presence on a Star Wars attraction. Kylo Ren (2015 - present) and is ALL UP IN Galaxies Edge. Without even getting into what those characters mean to the IP, it seems very short sighted. I’m also saying this as someone who thinks Kylo Ren is a much more interesting character than Darth Vader ... in the movies. For a villain in an attraction, Darth Vader was the obvious choice. Same way the land should have been more OT based. I still support the idea of an original location for the land though. Just have a problem with the execution.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I’m ok not seeing any bad look alike Princess Leia, Han Solos or Luke Skywalkers in the land but I definitely think Harrison Ford/ Han should be in the pre show for Smugglers Run and narrating the attraction instead of Onaka. C3PO, Yoda and Vader have to be Included somewhere though.

SuddenStorm

I’m ok not seeing any bad look alike Princess Leia, Han Solos or Luke Skywalkers in the land but I definitely think Harrison Ford/ Han should be in the pre show for Smugglers Run and narrating the attraction instead of Onaka. C3PO, Yoda and Vader have to be Included somewhere though.

And when they bring in Ford to do the narration for Smuggler's Run, they could add some throwaway lines like 'Tourists? Why'd it have to be tourists?" and "Snakes, you guys are on your own". For no particular reason.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

They need to drop the immersion aspect. Being realistic for the world they are trying to create isn't always entertaining. In Pandora's case it works. Tatooine was designed to have a trash/worn-out future look when they made the film, doesn't mean it is a place people want to visit.

Would people actually want photos in Batuu if it wasn't (semi) based on a movie? Pandora is a great photo spot regardless of if anyone knows what the source material is. A run down criminal operated town isn't a great photo spot.

As a poster here mentioned back when GE was opening, imagine if Harry Potter Land at Universal was called "Professor Doug's Wizard School" where it was just some random location based in the universe of Harry Potter, instead of Hogwarts, with no Harry Potter characters and only used characters from the Fantastic Beasts movies. That's effectively what Disney did. They bought the rights to the Star Wars movies just to make their own brand new location anyways, with their own brand new characters filling it too. I don't get it...
Been saying this for over a year now but noooo I am just a "hater" according to some posters here. How dare I use logic.

smooch

So I started watching the Clone Wars animated series recently to get some back story on characters appearing in the Mandalorian. This Hondo guy shows up in several episodes so far and is a total ******. Maybe he has a redeeming arc later on but I would have been happy seeing him die in the episodes viewed so far.

I'm actually watching an episode as I read this thread. I started watched to learn more in depth about the characters referenced in Mandalorian as well, I know the gist of the stories but I want to know more. I'm at the beginning of season 3 and have seen Hondo a handful of times and I really don't like him either and was having the same thought about a redemption arc. As of now I don't understand why they went with him or how it makes sense he would he the Falcon to let recruits go on a mission for him to steal Coaxium. I'm glad someone else is in a similar situation and had the same thought, I didn't know if I was missing something.

smooch

Come on, Yoda's voice is in the land. You just have to pay $200 to hear him and you'll get a cool lightsaber as a bonus! Honestly I would love to do the lightsaber building experience but that's just because I have wanted to have a lightsaber to learn tricks / practice fight choreography with for fun. My problem is that for $200 the lightsabers aren't that great, the intentional blade wobble to reduce impact is silly when any other lightsaber brand has a sturdy blade that does not have to wiggle around when even making light contact. Plus the motion detection is so poor, and you can really really tell when compared to a saber with smooth swing audio. Not to mention the dim blade with poor color compared to other sabers. Plus the hilts seem very very large and uncomfortable for what I want to do. I get that they expect kids to build them and then bash against each other while they play, so they want them to be durable but not too expensive, but still.

TP2000

Come on, Yoda's voice is in the land. You just have to pay $200 to hear him and you'll get a cool lightsaber as a bonus! Honestly I would love to do the lightsaber building experience but that's just because I have wanted to have a lightsaber to learn tricks / practice fight choreography with for fun. My problem is that for $200 the lightsabers aren't that great, the intentional blade wobble to reduce impact is silly when any other lightsaber brand has a sturdy blade that does not have to wiggle around when even making light contact. Plus the motion detection is so poor, and you can really really tell when compared to a saber with smooth swing audio. Not to mention the dim blade with poor color compared to other sabers. Plus the hilts seem very very large and uncomfortable for what I want to do. I get that they expect kids to build them and then bash against each other while they play, so they want them to be durable but not too expensive, but still.

I hadn't thought of all that, but it's a great point.

A shame they couldn't have two options; a child's version meant to withstand clumsy play in the back yard, and an adult version meant to be treated with respect and thus capable of more realism.

truecoat

I'm actually watching an episode as I read this thread. I started watched to learn more in depth about the characters referenced in Mandalorian as well, I know the gist of the stories but I want to know more. I'm at the beginning of season 3 and have seen Hondo a handful of times and I really don't like him either and was having the same thought about a redemption arc. As of now I don't understand why they went with him or how it makes sense he would he the Falcon to let recruits go on a mission for him to steal Coaxium. I'm glad someone else is in a similar situation and had the same thought, I didn't know if I was missing something.

I'm not as far as you and I'm watching it in what's called the Ultimate order. Anyway, so far he takes hostages, kills villagers for their crops and almost tricked a Jedi into being shot by a tank at point blank range.

smooch

I'm not as far as you and I'm watching it in what's called the Ultimate order. Anyway, so far he takes hostages, kills villagers for their crops and almost tricked a Jedi into being shot by a tank at point blank range.
I have seen a little more of him and he definitely is a little friendlier in his interactions, I don't want to spoil much but I have now seen him having an interaction where he is helpful to the Jedi even in a small way.

Robbiem

I have seen a little more of him and he definitely is a little friendlier in his interactions, I don't want to spoil much but I have now seen him having an interaction where he is helpful to the Jedi even in a small way.

Hondo becomes more of a comic foil in Rebels but he is still a crook, sort of like the way the ferengi changed over the course of various star trek shows from sinister to comic. I found him ok but my favourite character like that in the clone wars is definitely Cad Bane.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Hondo turns up in an episode of Mando or possibly the Ashoka or Kenobi shows as he is fair well known to fans

Putting him in smugglers run was an odd choice, especially as was last seen before the original trilogy in Rebels and has no connection with the falco, ar least in the tv shows, not sure about the EU.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom