Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Will this affect any of the fireworks shows? For example a truncation of the run time (a la Holiday and Hallo Wishes?), removing smaller pyro cues, heck I could even see them eliminating the lighting of the torches around World Showcase Lagoon. Of course, these are worst case scenarios, but it seems nothing is safe at the moment.

I thought as part of the cuts Wishes was going to 6 nights instead of 7, Could be wrong

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Will this affect any of the fireworks shows? For example a truncation of the run time (a la Holiday and Hallo Wishes?), removing smaller pyro cues, heck I could even see them eliminating the lighting of the torches around World Showcase Lagoon. Of course, these are worst case scenarios, but it seems nothing is safe at the moment.

You think I defend everything Disney does and I DO NOT. I still think that you say things like those above and have no facts what so every to base them on is irresponsible. The real effect of these cuts has still not be felt in the Parks yet and you are talking about what is next. I believe that Disney did not put enough money into the parks in the last ten years, but I am now seeing major investment in Walt Disney World. There may be some short term problems and I hate to see anyone lose their job or have their hours cut, but I think if Disney continues to invest in new rides such as they are doing with Avatar, improvements in Disney Springs, and adding new lands such as Star Wars/Toy Story they may be able to turn it around. If improvements do not continue then I will be one of the first to jump on the band wagon and complain. Again lets wait and see what is happening.

Cesar R M

Couple of more bits and pieces on this.

Most of the efficiency positions in the park will be eliminated. These are the CMs who are stationed at the start of lines and on load/unload docks to help move things along and keep things organized.

Reduction in back of house kitchen staff across property - including dish washers, prep positions.

Loss of register staff, so where they're may have bee running 6 register, there will now be 4 or 5.

More cuts to hours to come.
thats awful!

The front of the line guys are the only "shield" for the guys who keep confusing the fastpass lane with the normal lanes and single rider lanes.
then the cashiers.. wishing they could do undercover boss to all those executives who are now cutting the cashiers..

Cesar R M

This makes me more sad for the employees than park goers. If Disney wants to continue being 'magical', which died almost a decade ago but roll with me, they have to provide above average customer service. Something Disney was noted for in the past. With the cuts/wages, I don't see why motivated people would work at Disney. They are increasingly going to get the stereotypical 'theme park teenager who doesn't care' type worker. I know if I was working at Disney World right now, knowing how much their parks make, I would be caring less and less about the customers experience and more about working as little as possible/looking at other jobs.
IF the cuts are that bad, I dont think they will get to Costco quality.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
some are still in denial and strongly defending the changes.
I wonder if its because they want to maintain the mentality that DVC was a good idea and not a mistake.. or they own stock and plan to sell soon.

Are you talking about changes such as River of Lights, Disney Springs, Avatar, Star Wars/Toy Story lands. Maybe you are on of the ones that are in denial that maybe things are turning around at Walt Disney World. I am a DVC member that is only looking at the facts.

Bocabear

We have already seen the maintenance of our DVC units slipping year by year, anda drop in guest services... Had I known that Bay Lake Tower units would look as thrashed as they have the past couple times we have been, I may have thought a little harder about that investment...I am not looking forward to what these changes could mean for DVC...

TalkingHead

Are you talking about changes such as River of Lights, Disney Springs, Avatar, Star Wars/Toy Story lands. Maybe you are on of the ones that are in denial that maybe things are turning around at Walt Disney World. I am a DVC member that is only looking at the facts.

I propose a new rule: You can't count anything that's 3+ years away or anything that's taken 3+ years to build.

That should be added to the "outdoor shopping malls don't count, either" rule.

So, yeah, DAK's getting a nighttime show.

WDW's really busting it, now.

FigmentForver96

I propose a new rule: You can't count anything that's 3+ years away or anything that's taken 3+ years to build.

That should be added to the "outdoor shopping malls don't count, either" rule.

So, yeah, DAK's getting a nighttime show.

WDW's really busting it, now.
Besides Avatar is so over budget that's is almost embarrassing to mention it. Of course Disney has money problems when they spend almost one billion in a single expansion.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
We have already seen the maintenance of our DVC units slipping year by year, anda drop in guest services... Had I known that Bay Lake Tower units would look as thrashed as they have the past couple times we have been, I may have thought a little harder about that investment...I am not looking forward to what these changes could mean for DVC...

As have we, Last time we stayed in a BLT GV it looked like a wild party had taken place there chunks of veneer torn off the fixed furnishings, dented and non-functional fridge plus we did not get into the room until 7PM...

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
1397962091181875.jpg

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
May last trip to Disney Boardwalk Villas two years ago found the resort to be in really bad condition. Both me and my wife complained to management on site and to Disney Vacation Club when we go home. Our trip last month found our room to be wonderful. It had recently been renovated and was in great shape. My son was staying in one of the few rooms still waiting renovation and the difference was night and day. I just hope they now put the effort into keeping them as nice as they are now.

radiohost

Now I have my question answered....

Our family was there two weeks ago, and we asked ourselves this question, "we can't explain it, but there is something seriously going wrong with the cast at Walt Disney world...its there body language, the way they interact with guests, the way the speak to one another".

We now know why, these cuts and no overtime.

hopemax

Now I have my question answered....

Our family was there two weeks ago, and we asked ourselves this question, "we can't explain it, but there is something seriously going wrong with the cast at Walt Disney world...its there body language, the way they interact with guests, the way the speak to one another".

We now know why, these cuts and no overtime.

And also having to deal with the new CP kids, who don't know how to do their jobs yet. That's been going on for the last couple weeks too. Even if everyone wants to do a good job, it's hard to make sure the CPs are doing the appropriate thing, while still keeping up with the normal tasks of your location. Nevermind, with less staff who know the job, and a sword of Damocles above your head

psherman42

If someone really says a single ride breakdown is enough to ruin their vacation they're the last people who deserve freebies. There is nothing stated on the ticket terms and conditions that guarantees all rides be open during your visit. In that specific case, the GR CM should contact maintenace to let them know about the problem (which they probably would know about by that point) and tell the guest they are working to fix it.

If someone complains to Guest Relations the appropriate response is to listen to the criticism to understand what it is and pass along the information to the relevant party. Free stuff, or worse, sending the guest somewhere else to complain, should not be the de facto solution.
But you know that's what happens. The people that are least deserving are rewarded. So they continue to do it.
I miss working there but times like this I'm glad I'm employed elsewhere.
Same. I miss Florida every day but then I saw this and for the first time thought that I was glad not to be there. And that's really depressing because I was thinking about moving back there in August, possibly applying for a front desk/concierge position. Now I'm not so sure. Not about the moving to Florida thing, but the working for Disney again thing.

Yup, the CPers are typically pixie dusters. Once you move here full time, all that magic goes away.

And many of the better, more spirited workers end up switching over to Universal, too.
Maybe, depending on location.

But many lose the sense of wonder and love of the job once they work PT/FT for Disney, mostly because management sucks and are d***s. Yes, many do go on elsewhere and impress, but that's only because they realize how much of a dead end job WDW front-line (and theme parks in general) jobs are.
I can attest to this. When I was full time (after being on the CP/PI for a year), I definitely got sick of it. Like genuinely fed up with dealing with guests all day, everyday. I hope I did a good job of covering it up, but I guess I don't know. I mean, I never got talked to by a manager or had a guest who seemed annoyed with me (at least about my attitude..telling them we weren't taking walk ins for dinner at 7 pm is a different story..) so I guess that's all I can really ask for. I was lucky though to work with amazing people who could turn my entire day around just by being there and making those 10+ hour days not seem so bad. But when I moved back to WI and was away for a few months, when I went back to work my seasonal hours, I was refreshed so to speak and things didn't get to me as much. It's a lot easier to be ~magical when you have an end date in the back of your mind rather than that just being your job. That may be sad, but it's the way it is.

I'm not a disgruntled employee. If anything these ridiculous cutback only reinforce my commitment to provide every Guest I come across with the Disney difference. Yeah, my contribution is minuscule, but it may be the make or break it for their vacation. I genuinely love what I do. So, forgive me for being a tad bit upset when some idiot behind a cubicle, who has never worked in a theme park, goes on a budgetary rampage, that slowly contributes to the deterioration of one my favorite places on Earth.

This isn't about me. I don't care how this affects me. I can move on from Disney if the situation warrants. But, you clearly will defend Disney no matter what they do, so I'm not interested in continuing the conversation with someone unwilling to acknowledge reality.
Truthfully, this would be my attitude too. These poor guests who probably have no idea what's going on, how WDW is getting the shaft for no other reason but greed from TWDC and are paying thousands to stand in long lines with fewer CMs around. But I can't expect all 60,000 CM's to feel that way.

Also...how does this make sense to do ever but especially right before spring break? My dad and sisters are going down at the end of March and staying at the Polynesian. For the longest time was jealous (even though I was just there..), now I'm just hoping their trip isn't a complete disaster and these changes aren't that noticeable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom