Current Magic Band offerings

Raelynie

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Hello Everyone! I have just booked a Oct 2021 trip and have a few Magic Band questions. I know WDW is phasing out magic bands and going to a mobile system in the future. We are hoping to still use Magic Bands for this trip as I don't like being tied to my phone during a trip. We always have our phones with us but more times than not they are packed away in our bag. First off I am assuming we will still be fine to use Magic Bands during this trip? Next question is are they still changing the Magic Band offerings we can order? There isn't a ton of options right now and it is my understanding that the specialty bands ship immediately once ordered, is this still the case? Am I better off to order now since WDW is trying to phase this system out and options may be even more limited the closer to travel we get or should I hold off and see if they add more options? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :cat:

Only 359 days left!

Rob562

Hello Everyone! I have just booked a Oct 2021 trip and have a few Magic Band questions. I know WDW is phasing out magic bands and going to a mobile system in the future. We are hoping to still use Magic Bands for this trip as I don't like being tied to my phone during a trip. We always have our phones with us but more times than not they are packed away in our bag. First off I am assuming we will still be fine to use Magic Bands during this trip? Next question is are they still changing the Magic Band offerings we can order? There isn't a ton of options right now and it is my understanding that the specialty bands ship immediately once ordered, is this still the case? Am I better off to order now since WDW is trying to phase this system out and options may be even more limited the closer to travel we get or should I hold off and see if they add more options? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :cat:

Only 359 days left!

Are you able to order Bands for your reservation now? It was my understanding that they were only offering the free/discounted bands for checkin dates through December 31st. Presumably for reservations after that date they either won't allow you to order, or you'll be paying regular price for the bands.

That being said, MagicBands aren't being phased out, they're just not being offered for free. Any MagicBands you already have linked to your profile will still work indefinitely, as will any Bands you purchase on your own.

-Rob

Raelynie

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Are you able to order Bands for your reservation now? It was my understanding that they were only offering the free/discounted bands for checkin dates through December 31st. Presumably for reservations after that date they either won't allow you to order, or you'll be paying regular price for the bands.

That being said, MagicBands aren't being phased out, they're just not being offered for free. Any MagicBands you already have linked to your profile will still work indefinitely, as will any Bands you purchase on your own.

-Rob

They are available to order now but not a great selection. I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot and order and pay for them now and a few weeks/months from now they offer a wider selection. I know I could just as easy pic one I want from ShopDisney but you know a penny saved....

Club Cooloholic

They are available to order now but not a great selection. I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot and order and pay for them now and a few weeks/months from now they offer a wider selection. I know I could just as easy pic one I want from ShopDisney but you know a penny saved....
If you can get it free maybe order it. Though maybe they are allowing anyone to order free ones if they do it before the end of the year? If that is the case hold out, I kinda wish I had! Baby Yoda was an option up till about 2 weeks ago

Raelynie

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
If you can get it free maybe order it. Though maybe they are allowing anyone to order free ones if they do it before the end of the year? If that is the case hold out, I kinda wish I had! Baby Yoda was an option up till about 2 weeks ago

There are no free options only the discounted "Pre-Order" bands. I think I am going to wait and periodically check and see if there is one I really want!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

-Rob
They're not "regular price," they're still mostly subsidized. The plain color bands are being sold for $5.

NelleBelle

Sorry for the confusion! That's what I meant...you can't get mint, plum, navy, turquoise, etc, which are all listed on shop.disney. But yes, they do have the "basic" colors they've had for the last few years.

Ldno

Heh, sad to say you will need Your phone more than ever To the point I only used my magic band to enter and for photopass, the way the app is tailored, they are Pushing you to order food through the app, I would invest in a good battery pack since the cellphone usage on my last trip went up 200%. Granted it’s in October of next year, but some how I feel a lot of the changes they made won’t go away to be honest. A lot of restaurants wouldn’t let you in unless you made an order through the app, who knows how Genie or which ever new on the go Disney Experience might show up between now and then also!

DisAl

Tough luck if your phone battery goes dead before you get back to your room at night. And if you have to use your phone for everything you would have used your magic band for it probably will go dead. Plus you will have to leave WiFi on to use the MDE app and leave Bluetooth on if you want ride photos.
To me it is just another indication that corporate Disney does not care one bit how badly it may impact the guests if it saves them $100 on your $10,000 family vacation.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Tough luck if your phone battery goes dead before you get back to your room at night. And if you have to use your phone for everything you would have used your magic band for it probably will go dead. Plus you will have to leave WiFi on to use the MDE app and leave Bluetooth on if you want ride photos.
To me it is just another indication that corporate Disney does not care one bit how badly it may impact the guests if it saves them $100 on your $10,000 family vacation.
Will they not provide a room card if you ask? Were those completely phased out?

Club Cooloholic

You have always had the option of asking for one of the old cards. That never changed.
Good. I will agree that WDW is really forcing people into having to use their phones for more. I think having some kiosks where you can order and maybe get a ticket set up near restaurants will be necessary if they plan to keep this as business as usual.

paul436

I have a reservation for November 2021. In order to order the discounted Magic Bands, do I just go through ShopDisney?

Or is there somewhere to order from within My Disney Experience?

Ldno

I
I have a reservation for November 2021. In order to order the discounted Magic Bands, do I just go through ShopDisney?

Or is there somewhere to order from within My Disney Experience
I Did it last year through the disney world app going through the check in process, you should see an option that should redirect you to select your magic bands they offer at a discount, if i remember correctly but it was done through the app.

NelleBelle

Or is there somewhere to order from within My Disney Experience?
You can do it via app or disneyworld.com and go to My Disney Experience and sign in. It will have all your plans in place there and there is a section dedicated to Magic Bands. You select the discounted band there and once selected, will direct you to pay for them then. They often have some that you can only get through MDE (possible at the parks, but then they can't be personalized). I wish I waited slightly closer to my trip as they had bette selections. But if you see something you really like, get it as it can easily be gone the next time you look!

paul436

You can do it via app or disneyworld.com and go to My Disney Experience and sign in. It will have all your plans in place there and there is a section dedicated to Magic Bands. You select the discounted band there and once selected, will direct you to pay for them then. They often have some that you can only get through MDE (possible at the parks, but then they can't be personalized). I wish I waited slightly closer to my trip as they had bette selections. But if you see something you really like, get it as it can easily be gone the next time you look!
Thanks all

Clamman73

I don’t know if it’s been posted, but other colors are available.
59F72E0B-0470-49A8-894F-4C4DB07F2F46.jpeg

CA91F361-6240-4BB3-B5E9-0EF3B47683E6.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom