Current buses, low floor?

jmmc

A trip is being planned to Disney soon and someone I'm going with has some mobility issues. Usually not to the extent of needing to use wheelchairs or ECV's, but negotiating stairs is sometimes a problem. Last I was in WDW there was still a mix of regular and low floor buses. Have more of the original buses been phased out at this point?

Thanks!

jmmc

Original Poster
All the buses have low floors now, and are equipped to handle wheel chairs and ECVs.

P.S. This was posted in the wrong thread. It probably should have gone in the Trip Planning forum.
I suppose that would've made more sense. But the title includes "current events", and I wanted to know the "current" status of the buses. :)

But thanks for the information! That will be helpful to pass on.

Upvote 0

Section106

If may squeeze in one more question... what about the Magical Express buses?

Disney's Magical Express has buses with lifts. You need to let the CM know when you make your reservation that you need a wheelchair lift equipped bus.When you go to check in for the Magical Express you will be directed to the handicapped line instead of the one for your resort.

However, be prepared to wait. My wife has MS and is wheelchair bound and for the last two years we have had to wait because they didn't have a lift equipped bus ready.

Upvote 0

Goofyernmost

Disney's Magical Express has buses with lifts. You need to let the CM know when you make your reservation that you need a wheelchair lift equipped bus.When you go to check in for the Magical Express you will be directed to the handicapped line instead of the one for your resort.

However, be prepared to wait. My wife has MS and is wheelchair bound and for the last two years we have had to wait because they didn't have a lift equipped bus ready.
That's very unusual because almost all passenger buses of any size are now required to be handicap accessible. Even buses built 20 or 30 years ago are compliant. I do know that if you explain to the driver that stairs are a problem I'm sure that they would allow you to use the lift. I'm not sure that all the older high floor buses are gone, they might be, but seems like I saw a few when I was there in January.

Upvote 0

s8film40

That's very unusual because almost all passenger buses of any size are now required to be handicap accessible. Even buses built 20 or 30 years ago are compliant. I do know that if you explain to the driver that stairs are a problem I'm sure that they would allow you to use the lift. I'm not sure that all the older high floor buses are gone, they might be, but seems like I saw a few when I was there in January.
The way the magical express lift is designed it's probably not safe to just ride it. I've only ever seen it used with wheelchairs. The wheelchair is strapped on and then lifted up the side of the bus.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The busses have a lift towards the rear. Have for ages. They are (for the most part) Van Hool TX45s, iirc.

Upvote 0

Section106

Mears has regular buses and lift equipped ones. We have had to wait about 30 minutes each on our last two trips for a lift equipped model. I'm not complaining mind you I'm just giving my experience. And we'll be going again in April '16. Can't wait!

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
They don't all have them. Make sure you request a bus with a lift.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to indicate otherwise. I should have been clearer. The point is, the coaches do have lifts. But yes, not all of them do. Depends on if it is a TX-40/45 or a TX 45L...

Though, I've seen Mears run other shuttles as well when demand is high.

And, for a bonus...here's a pic of the lift in use.

DOW-Magical-Express-lift_July_2011.jpg

Upvote 0

s8film40

And, for a bonus...here's a pic of the lift in use.
Hey I recognize that driver, nice guy.

Yeah those lifts are pretty horrible. They always look a little scary. I saw one get stuck once the poor lady was strapped to the side of the bus up in the air for almost half an hour in direct sunlight and heat.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Hey I recognize that driver, nice guy.

Yeah those lifts are pretty horrible. They always look a little scary. I saw one get stuck once the poor lady was strapped to the side of the bus up in the air for almost half an hour in direct sunlight and heat.
As much as that mental image shouldn't make me laugh...it did. (seriously, it isn't funny at all, poor lady...but the mental image is hilarious)

I always questioned how the lifts were positioned in the touring busses, made me wonder how "accessible" they truly were...I mean, I know they are back row, and I guess for the design being what, 20+ years old, it sortof makes sense...I guess, but it always felt like an "afterthought" by the designers to me.

Upvote 0

Goofyernmost

I know that for a long time it was not encouraged to allow someone to just ride up on one. But, in recent years, they finally figured out that if you didn't then they were excluding those that fell between the able to climb stairs and those that needed a wheelchair so they usually, if possible have two standing on the lift. One that needs it to get in and the other to just help stabilize the other one. It is mind boggling to me that a bus that is used for all tourist would be sent out without one. There are still many buses that do not have lifts, but, those are usually earmarked for special events that they know will not need a lift. To send one to the airport for transportation to a place like WDW that doesn't know what type of riders they will get, indicates a brain dead dispatcher.

Upvote 0

Goofyernmost

As much as that mental image shouldn't make me laugh...it did. (seriously, it isn't funny at all, poor lady...but the mental image is hilarious)

I always questioned how the lifts were positioned in the touring busses, made me wonder how "accessible" they truly were...I mean, I know they are back row, and I guess for the design being what, 20+ years old, it sortof makes sense...I guess, but it always felt like an "afterthought" by the designers to me.
It doesn't really matter if the lift is in the front or in the back, the positioning of the handicapped tie-downs are the same distance from their exit either way. And yes, they are prone to unexpected breakdowns. Mostly they are pretty reliable, but, occasionally they do have an issue and sometimes it's when the lift is in route either up or down. One of the problems is that either the driver called in sick the day they taught the class on lifts or they were to lazy to do it. Almost 100% of the time they can be manually moved with a pump, a built in hydraulic jack, that overrides the electrical motors and pumps. It's hidden, but, it's there. It's a pain to use, but, it will get your passenger on and off the bus with considerable muscular arm pumping persuasion.

That said, the lower buses with the simple ramp is a godsend for both the passenger and the driver. However, buses that require under the floor baggage compartments have to be higher, so that problem will stay for awhile. It comes under the heading of... life is seldom perfect.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It doesn't really matter if the lift is in the front or in the back, the positioning of the handicapped tie-downs are the same distance from their exit either way. And yes, they are prone to unexpected breakdowns. Mostly they are pretty reliable, but, occasionally they do have an issue and sometimes it's when the lift is in route either up or down. One of the problems is that either the driver called in sick the day they taught the class on lifts or they were to lazy to do it. Almost 100% of the time they can be manually moved with a pump, a built in hydraulic jack, that overrides the electrical motors and pumps. It's hidden, but, it's there. It's a pain to use, but, it will get your passenger on and off the bus with considerable muscular arm pumping persuasion.

That said, the lower buses with the simple ramp is a godsend for both the passenger and the driver. However, buses that require under the floor baggage compartments have to be higher, so that problem will stay for awhile. It comes under the heading of... life is seldom perfect.
Now that you mention it, I really can't recall where the tie downs are in the coach busses...

I assume they are back row, because I never sit back that far in the bus...but...<shrug>?

I have seen Mears run the modified van style shuttle busses that are far more accessible at MCO though, and while I go a lot, I don't go THAT often, and so I'd imagine, as has been pointed out, they are a rather regular occurrence?

used-2010-ford-e450_wheelchair_shuttle_bus-forchurchtourhandicappedandcharter-457-12618885-1-400.jpg

Ones like this...though, honestly, I just observed them in and around the ME area, no idea if they are running to Disney. Now that I think about it, I just sortof assumed they were.

Upvote 0

Goofyernmost

Now that you mention it, I really can't recall where the tie downs are in the coach busses...

I assume they are back row, because I never sit back that far in the bus...but...<shrug>?

I have seen Mears run the modified van style shuttle busses that are far more accessible at MCO though, and while I go a lot, I don't go THAT often, and so I'd imagine, as has been pointed out, they are a rather regular occurrence?

used-2010-ford-e450_wheelchair_shuttle_bus-forchurchtourhandicappedandcharter-457-12618885-1-400.jpg

Ones like this...though, honestly, I just observed them in and around the ME area, no idea if they are running to Disney. Now that I think about it, I just sortof assumed they were.
I cannot tell you what those are used for, but, since it does have a lift it could be used for that purpose since the procedure for a coach is much more detailed. When it comes to location on any bus, they might not exist on a bus with no lift, but, if it has one at all, like the one shown in the other picture (post #12) then they are there, but, the are not obvious because they are designed to just hide away when not in use.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I cannot tell you what those are used for, but, since it does have a lift it could be used for that purpose since the procedure for a coach is much more detailed. When it comes to location on any bus, they might not exist on a bus with no lift, but, if it has one at all, like the one shown in the other picture (post #12) then they are there, but, the are not obvious because they are designed to just hide away when not in use.
I tend to notice them (I have an eye for odd stuff like that)...but yeah, they are tucked back there pretty good. It's just that after you mentioned it, I really can't remember where the tie downs/fold away seats are on the coaches...I don't recall seeing them at all. I'm sure they are there, as I don't imagine they'd require a transfer from wheelchair to seat...but...I can't place it in the bus in my memory (which is admittedly not perfect)...

I have only seen the lift used once in person though, on the Van Hool models. I found it really interesting.

I do know not all of the models have them, but a lot of them do. I'd wager that most of them do...but, the touring coaches are a 20 some odd year old design, so...

Upvote 0

Goofyernmost

I tend to notice them (I have an eye for odd stuff like that)...but yeah, they are tucked back there pretty good. It's just that after you mentioned it, I really can't remember where the tie downs/fold away seats are on the coaches...I don't recall seeing them at all. I'm sure they are there, as I don't imagine they'd require a transfer from wheelchair to seat...but...I can't place it in the bus in my memory (which is admittedly not perfect)...

I have only seen the lift used once in person though, on the Van Hool models. I found it really interesting.

I do know not all of the models have them, but a lot of them do. I'd wager that most of them do...but, the touring coaches are a 20 some odd year old design, so...
Just as a quick reply, if no one is on the bus that requires the space then the seats are down and look just exactly like the regular seats, but, when required they easily fold up and out of the way along the wall of the bus. They are on hinges and are very cleverly designed to just move out of the way.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom