curious about River Country?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm certain if there was a brain eating bacteria, we would have known about it. ;) My best guess is that there were multiple issues that made them decide the cons outweighed the pros. Probably included in that was the rate of growth of the entire resort. When River Country opened, the only hotels that were open were Contemp, Poly and FW. So, a very small population and for all it was quickly accessible by boat.

In the late 80s and 90s, WDW boomed. With both Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach being open and having more options, and being more easily accessible to more people, I'm sure River Country became less populated, less in demand, and more of a hassle to keep up.

Plus, in this time period you've got the ADA that came out, and several other rules and regulations for safety that just didn't exist before. So at a certain point, I'm sure Disney said it's not worth it. To become compliant would cost a fortune and we won't make the revenue to make it up in the end, so let's call a spade a spade and shut it down.

I miss it, but if there's one thing Disney knows it's how to turn a profit. So, it is what it is.
There is and we do.:)

http://www.kctv5.com/story/25998330/deadly-case-of-brain-eating-amoeba-reported-in-johnson-county

While said brain eating amoeba is one of the main reason you can no longer swim in the lakes at Disney, it was one of a myriad of reasons RC closed.

MICKEYMOO42

Original Poster
That makes sense! they should have made another resort out of it or something though!
I'm still baffled stupid people are able to get in there.
god forbid an attraction is unsfe, they'll shut it down right away and repair it!
It's interesting their so carefree about it

Andy_0410

I remember going in 93 and loved it. Though I thought typhoon lagoon was soooo much better.
Then when I went back in 2009 was gutted to learn that it had gone

KCheatle

There is and we do.:)

http://www.kctv5.com/story/25998330/deadly-case-of-brain-eating-amoeba-reported-in-johnson-county

While said brain eating amoeba is one of the main reason you can no longer swim in the lakes at Disney, it was one of a myriad of reasons RC closed.

So, I clicked on the link, and it takes you to a 2014 story about a girl in Kansas?:confused:

However, I also looked into this and it looks like a boy in 1980 apparently contracted the same disease at River County. No cases reported after that. I can't possibly fathom that part of the reason they closed it was a death occurring 21 years prior to their closure date??

From what I did read, it looks like after the 9/11 attacks, attendance was down, and they didn't see a need/want to keep it open.

Clamman73

I remember it well. We went every year to it when I was a kid because we always stayed at the Contemp, so it was right there. It was a blast! They had a pool that had two amazing slides (although I remember being terrified by them for years) that you would go down and they dropped you a good 5-8 feet in the water. It was such a rush! Here's a picture!
tumblr_ly5r24dEJZ1qdzzd8.jpg

And behind them I remember there being a cave that you would explore and go through.

And the lake part was awesome too. They had great tubeslides to go down, and platforms to cross and jump off of.
WDW-922%20-%20Swinging%20%27n%20Splashing.jpg

Here's the map of the park:

rivercountry_map2001disney.jpg

My recollection of those slides was that it was hard to see the landing spot, so I was never sure if I'd land on someone or not, and it was a commitment...once you start going..it's into the pool!

MaryJaneP

On our trips to RC, we remember the lifeguard in the chair across the pool waving a hand to indicate it was time to slide. We don't know if it was regular protocol, but it worked for our visits.

Clamman73

On our trips to RC, we remember the lifeguard in the chair across the pool waving a hand to indicate it was time to slide. We don't know if it was regular protocol, but it worked for our visits.
Here's a smudged pic of me early '80s in front of the slides...I have a couple of others that show the lifeguard across the way, but in the pics he seems to be looking elsewhere. I think I remember just waiting to see the person emerge into sight, then I knew it was OK to go.
smudgedrivercountry.jpeg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So, I clicked on the link, and it takes you to a 2014 story about a girl in Kansas?:confused:

However, I also looked into this and it looks like a boy in 1980 apparently contracted the same disease at River County. No cases reported after that. I can't possibly fathom that part of the reason they closed it was a death occurring 21 years prior to their closure date??

From what I did read, it looks like after the 9/11 attacks, attendance was down, and they didn't see a need/want to keep it open.
Correct. Like I said, there were many reasons RC closed. Naegleria fowleri was just one of the many things on a long con list.

PEPPER2029

we went to rc in 1998 and then returned in 2003 only to find it was closed. we asked a lady at the boat rentals in fw why it closed and she said low attendance and a bad liner in the pool. they did keep the larger part open for lifeguard training for a little while after. i do not think parasites or bacteria is the cause as they still have water skiing on the further part of the lake.

SNS

It closed with the intention that they would reopen it but soon the months turned to years and it became too expensive to fix all the damage that was done by leaving it abandoned.

Mouse_Trap

The amoeba rumour and the lake have pretty much been debunked by now. IF the amoeba had any influence, RC would have closed in the 80s when the case happened....not 15-20 years later
Potentially they could have known about expensive future repairs eg to the barrier or heating systems etc....but that's just my speculation.

What we do know; visitor numbers were down post 9/11, operations were looking to save money wherever possible. For evidence of this think of AoA which was supposed to be the other half of Pop (half) Century then under construction for a 2003 opening. Of course the other half stood uncompleted for another decade before opening as AoA.

They already had two far larger, more modern water parks and don't forget there was only Wet n' Wild as local competition back then. Attractions such as RC with comparatively low visitors numbers made for an easy cash saving with minimal guest impact. Potentially they intended to re-open it one day when visitor numbers justified it, but knowing the Disney of late - they would rather make do then spend a few extra $$.

We don't know if they ever considered reopening it, but but the time guest numbers has returned to pre 9/11 levels, the park would have needed some serious investment just to reopen back at its old standard.

Lastly, I would imagine water parks brought in very little at the gate revenue as water parks were included all tickets; even paying on the gate, a RC ticket was almost half the price of BB & TL.

Chrischris10

Could the pump system or "bladder" have any effect on the closure? It seems like a novel way to keep the water fresh and may have been expensive to replace if needed.

Chrischris10

The amoeba rumour and the lake have pretty much been debunked by now. IF the amoeba had any influence, RC would have closed in the 80s when the case happened....not 15-20 years later
Potentially they could have known about expensive future repairs eg to the barrier or heating systems etc....but that's just my speculation.

What we do know; visitor numbers were down post 9/11, operations were looking to save money wherever possible. For evidence of this think of AoA which was supposed to be the other half of Pop (half) Century then under construction for a 2003 opening. Of course the other half stood uncompleted for another decade before opening as AoA.

They already had two far larger, more modern water parks and don't forget there was only Wet n' Wild as local competition back then. Attractions such as RC with comparatively low visitors numbers made for an easy cash saving with minimal guest impact. Potentially they intended to re-open it one day when visitor numbers justified it, but knowing the Disney of late - they would rather make do then spend a few extra $$.

We don't know if they ever considered reopening it, but but the time guest numbers has returned to pre 9/11 levels, the park would have needed some serious investment just to reopen back at its old standard.

Lastly, I would imagine water parks brought in very little at the gate revenue as water parks were included all tickets; even paying on the gate, a RC ticket was almost half the price of BB & TL.

Water mania was also a water park competitor.

Mouse_Trap

Could the pump system or "bladder" have any effect on the closure? It seems like a novel way to keep the water fresh and may have been expensive to replace if needed.

Possibly....It's not inconceivable that by the early 00's that it would have needed overhaul/repair/replacement though I haven't heard it cited as a reason.

Squigglove

I wouldn't want to go near that water especially if there's some brain eating bacteria :eek:
I hope they build something on it and don't waste the space

I don't see how they could possibly build anything else on top of this kind of rot. The decay is just too extensive at this point and I think it's obvious they'd rather spare the cost. Even though so much of that material is recyclable.
If it didn't have brain-eating bacteria in it before it certainly does by now. I can't imagine people wanting to trespass there, I'm seriously germaphobic and just looking at the pictures makes me queasy!

ETA: re: the video of girl doesn't care she got banned
It must be nice to be more concerned about people watching a video you made than with being banned from a park like Disney. I just don't get the priority.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom