Curious about catalog covers

pat in the hat

Original Poster
Did a search and didn't find anything exactly like this, so forgive me if this has been discussed (or even if this is the wrong place to post) . . . it's my first thread, although I have been a long-time "reader" of the site!

I received my Disney catalog (Spring 2005) yesterday, and I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about the change in cover style. When you live so far from the magic, you look forward to receiving anything Disney . . . and I've noticed that some time ago, the covers seemed to become more "generically computer animated" so to speak. I remember reading about people who would collect the catalogs for the cover art, and now they seem to look somewhat cheap . . . just my opinion. And as much as I like Ariel, the Spring cover looks like they've taken the low-rise look a bit far with her body-fin!:eek:

Does anyone know anything about the Disney covers? I'd find it interesting to know how they come up with the designs, and who creates them! Thanks for your help . . . love these boards! :sohappy:

DisKid

It sounds like you are referring to the Disney Direct catalog right? not the Disney magazine? Yes, I believe the covers are much more generic than they use to be. I have some pretty old covers which are very nice, but it doesn't surprise me that these new covers are cheaper because I feel the Disney merchandise has gotten cheaper. I mean look in the catalog!!! Half (or more) of this stuff is kiddie garbage. There is less and less of the good collectibles.

Buzzforprez

hcwalker16 said:
Keep in mind that the Disney Catalog and Store is no longer owned by the Disney company.

This is correct and probably explains the change in the catalog as well as in the stores. Stopped by the old DS in Paramus, NJ and was DISGUSTED to see what they had for sale. The entire area that used to be home to really beautiful works of art was now converted into what can best be called a 99 cent store (of course the prices are higher though). What a shame. Looks like I'll be saving all my cash for trips to WDW. And I wonder how much the change has effected vacations. I know we used to rush up vacations after going into the store and getting the feeling to go sooner and more often.

pat in the hat

Original Poster
Catalog merchandise

I agree that not only the look of the catalog (cover design) seems cheaper, but the look of some of the merchandise does too. Seems a lot more of the catalog is dedicated to kids' bedding and "junk" toy items. It's a shame because I used to spend quite a bit of money between park trips with Disney on quality clothing items from their stores and catalog . . . now, I actually have to "work" at finding something to buy in the store or from Disney Direct! Thank goodness for WDW mail order! :)

crazycalf

That is why they changed the name from disneystore.com to disneydirect.com. Disney still owns disneydirect.com and the catalog but not the stores

pat in the hat

Original Poster
Thanks for the info! I knew that the stores were sold, but wasn't sure about the online and catalog operations. Changing the online name makes sense now (light goes on).

Does anyone know anything more about how they choose or design the covers?? Just curious, since it was once "collected art." Still may be???

PhotoDave219

In general, covers of magazines and catalogues are usually done months in advance through ad agencies. Generally 6-8 months in advance.

KevinPage

The Fantasia inspired cover a few caalogs ago (which = a mere few weeks) was very nice.

Sometimes the covers stink high holier than hell, sometimes they are great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom