cruise passengers left on st. thomas

Cherylbug

My family and I went on a Eastern Caribbean cruise on June 15-22 on the Magic. After leaving St. Thomas the cruise director came on the intercom and said that we had left a couple back on the island and that we were turning around and going back to get them. I was just wondering has that happened to anyone else?

sigsegv

Originally posted by Cherylbug
My family and I went on a Eastern Caribbean cruise on June 15-22 on the Magic. After leaving St. Thomas the cruise director came on the intercom and said that we had left a couple back on the island and that we were turning around and going back to get them. I was just wondering has that happened to anyone else?

Wow, that's amazing. When we went on our 4-day cruise, I was wondering about that myself. I thought that checking in and checking out would be enough to make sure that nobody got left behind. I almost think that you have to work to get left behind. :)

-sig

Upvote 0

Erika

My boss was on a cruise once when there was a report that a drunk man had gone overboard late at night. They had everyone go to their rooms to be accounted for and when it turned out the story was true, they turned around and actually FOUND him in the pitch dark! alive and well.

I'd rather be stuck on an island!

Upvote 0

s25843

I find it VERY hard to beleive that they left a couple behind. The cruise ships use a new system that to get back on the ship you need to swipe your ID. This system at any time will allow the cruise company see who is on the ship and who is NOT on the ship. They check this system before they leave and they do not leave until they have 100% of the passengers accounted for.

Upvote 0

mousefan17

I cant believe that they actually went back for the couple! You are told time and time again what time to be back at the ship! Not only that but they tell you the consequence, you miss the ship, you find transportation to the next port! adn its Castaway Cay, good luck, because theres only oNE way to get there, Disney Magic!

I went on a 7 day one last year, (July 7-14, 2001) and it was a very eventful cruise!

While leaving St Thomas, i watched a family running towards the ship as it was leavin port. SORRY! you missed it! Actaully, they werent the only ones, another couple missed it too.

In this case they did allow a water taxi to bring the people out, and to the ship, and they were able to climb up a rope ladder and back on!

The reason that they cant wait around for people is that we were told that they could be fined up to $1,000 for every minute that they are in port late! if your 10 minutes late that jsut cost DCL $10,000!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

hadleybarth

I am also very surprised they went back for them. We are frequent cruises, and I have never had a ship go back to pick-up soemone who was late. Passangers are told time and time again when to be back on board. Not only does it cost the cruise line immediate money in port fees to hang around, but inconviencing an entire shipful of passengers by making them late for their next port of call for the convience of a couple of peolple who can't keep an eye on their watches is very bad bussiness. The cruise industry survives on repeat bookings, and who would want to go back if they keep having to pay the price for soemone elses stupidity.
This is not to say that ships never turn around. I have twice been onboard when ships have tunred and headded back to the nearest port with a major hospital when passengers were injured (and finding the drunken man as someone posted earlier is amazing)--in these instances the cruise lines are clearly doing the responsible thing.

Upvote 0

Cherylbug

Original Poster
I would have found it hard to believe too that the ship would turn around to go back and get someone until it happened on the cruise that we were on. We heard that the reason they returned to go back and get this couple was because they had a baby that was on board in Flounder's Reef nursery. Our head server at dinner that night told us that it doesn't happen very often but when it does that in port they will usually put them in a water taxi and bring them out to the ship. We were trying to figure out how they could be left behind when you have to use your key to the world card to get on and off the ship, that's how everyone is accounted for. But I guess they figure that you're an adult and you know when the ship is leaving port so you should be there on time or get left behind. They actually backed the ship up to the dock, threw out a gang plank and the couple got back on board. The crew at the dock had the couple pretty well covered so you couldn't see who they were. This was our 4th Disney cruise and of course this was the first time this has happend while we were on board.

Upvote 0
This happened to a co-worker of mine and she had to pay her own airfare to catch up with her ship and family. Needless to say her husband was not too happy with her. (This wasn't a Disney Cruise)

Upvote 0

cruiseman

I too am surprised they went back. i worked on the cruise line for its annaugural season and they never went back. Like the others have said there are fines, schedules to keep, and guest are givin plenty of time too enjoy there ports, so dont be late.

jim

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom