Cruise Line Expansion

tn1999

Original Poster
It is officailly on "The Hub" (I like "The Portal" better). There will be two new ships built, by 2011 and 2012. No names have been picked yet, but I image something like the Disney Fantasy, Imagination, Dream, Adventurer, Explorer, etc. Also, the ships will be a bit larger, most noticable in the concept artwork available on "The Hub".

starwood

DISNEY TO BUILD TWO MORE SHIPS

2/22/08 - Bob Iger, President and CEO of the Walt Disney Company announced that Disney Cruise Line will be adding two new ships to its fleet.
The new ships will be built at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany and will be launched in 2011 and 2012. Each ship will be 122,000 tons with 1250 staterooms. They will be two decks taller than the Disney Magic/Wonder.
This venture will more than double the Disney fleet capacity. As of now, the names, design and itineraries of the new ships have not been announced.

This is direct from wdwinfo.com!

FatBoy976

It is officailly on "The Hub" (I like "The Portal" better). There will be two new ships built, by 2011 and 2012. No names have been picked yet, but I image something like the Disney Fantasy, Imagination, Dream, Adventurer, Explorer, etc. Also, the ships will be a bit larger, most noticable in the concept artwork available on "The Hub".

Fantasy and Imagination are great names. I doubt they will go with Adventurer or Explorer seeing as how Royal Caribbean already has ships with those names.

My votes go for the Horizon and the Nautilus.

lpet11984

I knew one of these days they'd have to expand on the fleet...how exciting!! I'm anxious to know where they'll be going to.

Nautilus would be awesome... ;)

ToTBellHop

And Carnival already has a Fantasy and Imagination. Cruise ship names are very repetitious. Incidentally, the 130,000 ton Carnival Magic arrives in 2011. No Carnival Wonder...yet.

I couldn't see two ships on the West Coast. I predict:

Magic and first new ship go to Florida while the Wonder goes to the West Coast, and the 2nd new ship goes to the Mediterranean.

Jekyll_Baker

How 'bout the names "Stitch" and "Black Pearl" and they'll rename the line as the "Disney/Pixar Cruise Line" (just kidding)

Seriously, I'd tout "Believe", "Wishes", or "Imagine"

ToTBellHop

As part of Jay Rasulo's grand plan to homogenize the entire Disney experience, the Disney Wonder will be renamed the Disney Magic tomorrow. These two new ships will come with the extremely original names, Disney Magic and Disney Magic.

tn1999

Original Poster
Castaway Cay

Now lets talk about how the port at Castaway Cay is a tight fit even for the Wonder and Magic. Im thinking they will utilize the other side of the current port ula on Castaway Cay. They will have to do major dreadging (sp?) for depth, but the ula could easily hold another port on the other side. And the island could easily withstand two ships docked at the same time. I could also forsee a new beach on the right hand side (south side) of the island. Does getting two new ships mean that major renovations will happen on Castaway Cay? What about new terminal facilities (West Coast). I think its fair to say this cruise line expansion means more that just two new ships.

goofyfan13

I remember hearing a while back that a name they were looking at was the Disney Dream for the 3rd ship. While it was from a crew member, I can see this being the third ship.

ms7479a

I think this is a really good move for Disney, one that will really allow them to compete with the other cruise companies, like Royal Caribbean, which have alot of ships. I think that Disney now has to be considered a major power in the cruise industry. This could be one of the biggest Disney announcements in a long time, I know people have been talking about this happening for a while but I was totally taken off guard by the announcment. Good job by Disney for keeping this announcement under wraps.

TP2000

I'm hearing the Magic will go to California with one of the new ships.

That's what I imagine too. Clearly there is at least one vessel of the new four member fleet that will be stationed permanently out of SoCal. That's big news for Disneyland.

Will the new ships be able to fit through the Canal? That may play a part in where they are based. If they have to take these ships around the Horn to get them here to SoCal for Mexican itineraries in the winter and British Columbia/Alaska iteneraries in the summer, then it might not be wise to have the big boats out on the West Coast where they have to wait for specific times of the year to get back to the Atlantic.

Or maybe, if the new ships are too big for the Canal, they would want them out on the West Coast permanently simply because that's the only place they can go?

I'm not an expert on cruise ships and their logistics, but if these new ships (which look to be much larger) are larger than Panamax class vessels that may play a deciding factor in where they are located; East Coast/Europe or West Coast/Alaska.

Any Cruise experts out there know?

ToTBellHop

I'm not sure four ships will make Disney suddenly a major cruiseline...Carnival has 21 ships with four on the way over the next four years (one arriving in a week and a half). This is a big step for Disney, but they are still a small cruiseline.

Red Line

ships.jpg
the two boats in the foreground are an "artistic rendition" of what the ships will look like. I found this on the Florida Today website http://floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070222/BREAKINGNEWS/70222032

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom