'Cruella' Sequel - Emma Stone Signs Deal

NateD1226

Original Poster
"Oscar winner Emma Stone has closed a deal to star in the sequel to Cruella, in what is a very good sign for Disney as it secures talent in the wake of its theatrical-Disney+ Premier model. Cruella, due to the pandemic, was released in theaters and on Disney+ PVOD tier earning over $222M WW in ticket sales. The release of Cruella 2 is a ways off, and it’s not certain at this time whether the movie will be a pure theatrical release or being released simultaneously in homes.

Emma Stone’s deal for Cruella 2, I hear mutually benefits both sides especially at a time when Disney is still assessing the dynamic window model on its event titles.

Endeavor Executive Chairman Patrick Whitesell had this to say about the agency’s client Stone and her Cruella 2 deal: “While the media landscape has been disrupted in a meaningful way for all distributors, their creative partners cannot be left on the sidelines to carry a disproportionate amount of the downside without the potential for upside. This agreement demonstrates that there can be an equitable path forward that protects artists and aligns studios’ interests with talent. We are proud to work alongside Emma and Disney, and appreciate the studio’s willingness to recognize her contributions as a creative partner. We are hopeful that this will open the door for more members of the creative community to participate in the success of new platforms.”

NateD1226

Original Poster
Paul Walter Hauser states that Cruella 2 will (possibly) begin filming next year.

“I’m told we’re doing it next year. I don’t know when but I think Tony McNamara is writing the script right now. He’s probably tinkering away with that. We got to work around the ever-busy schedule of Craig Gillespie and Emma Stone, who are worth the wait, so anytime they want to do it, I’ll be there.”

Snow Queen 83

I love Emma Stone, but she is not right for the role at all. I love the animated version so much that Cruella will always be the old, cheekboned witch from 101 Dalmatians.

DKampy

I love Emma Stone, but she is not right for the role at all. I love the animated version so much that Cruella will always be the old, cheekboned witch from 101 Dalmatians.
You do get it was Cruella the younger days… anyway I thought Emma was oerfect in the role

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You missed the whole concept, its Cruella from before she turned into the witch you saw in the animated version, an origin story. This in no way conflicts with the old witch-like Cruella from the animated version that you love.

So Emma Stone is right for a younger Cruella. The sequel will hopefully get her closer to being the old witch-like Cruella that you're used to.

LittleBuford

You missed the whole concept, its Cruella from before she turned into the witch you saw in the animated version, an origin story. This in no way conflicts with the old witch-like Cruella from the animated version that you love.

So Emma Stone is right for a younger Cruella. The sequel will hopefully get her closer to being the old witch-like Cruella that you're used to.
It really isn’t the origin story of the Cruella of the animated film; it is the origin story of a reimagined version of the character occupying what @Casper Gutman aptly described as an alternate universe. Beyond Cruella herself, Jasper and Horace are totally transformed from their animated originals.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It really isn’t the origin story of the Cruella of the animated film; it is the origin story of a reimagined version of the character occupying what @Casper Gutman aptly described as an alternate universe. Beyond Cruella herself, Jasper and Horace are totally transformed from their animated originals.
I never considered it an alternative universe version as the transition from animation to live action is not always 1-for-1. Even the Glenn Close version wasn't a 1-for-1 recreation for live action.

The reimagining of these stories in live action, such as Maleficent, I've always thought of them as same story told from a different point-of-view.

But I can see the viewpoint, especially if there is concern of infringing on the original in anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom