Crowds This Coming Week? (Bad I'm Sure, but How Bad?)

rob0519

Original Poster
We've never been to WDW during Spring Break or any time around Easter. With Easter being so early this year will that have any affects on which weeks have the highest attendance?

We have an opportunity for a one day visit to the MK this coming Tuesday, March 22. I know it will be crowded, but how crowded? As we always stay on property, I haven't driven to the MK in almost 20 years, so I feel kind of dumb asking this. What time do they start letting people into the parking lot?

Any help on either topic would be appreciated. Thanks.

Miss Heinous

It gone be bad girl, considering everyone in town will be working overtime the next 2 weeks, run for the hills!
tumblr_nam9i7z9oq1sgyhqdo1_400.gif

JIMINYCR

The crowd calendars are calling for 9s & 10s. Spring breaks always crowded so even though Easters early that doesnt change things. Going the week before Easter will give you somewhat of a better chance to enjoy the parks.

Disney4family

The calendars are a bit off up north since Easter and Passover are different months. Technically there's still school next Mon-Wed up here. Kids may be "sick" from school and end up at WDW next week with you. I went during a typical spring break week a few years ago. It was crowded, but not insane, and we still had a great time. I think you'll be fine as people have said since it's the week before Easter. Have a magical trip!

rob0519

Original Poster
Two words: never again.

Well, I've always said "never a first time during Spring Break" However, a family issue forced us into being nearby this week. We have a disabled adult son who's favorite place in the world is the World. We're going to go and hope for the best amid the insanity. We have our tickets (including and annual pass linked to our bands) and a dining reservation inside the MK. As of Noon today, wait times look pretty bad: Splash is at 45 min, but its' fairly cool for a water ride, Space Mountain is at 95, SDMT at 110, POTC at 60, Peter Pan at 90, Buzz Lightyear at 65 and Thunder Mountain shows closed.

epcotisbest

Well, I've always said "never a first time during Spring Break" However, a family issue forced us into being nearby this week. We have a disabled adult son who's favorite place in the world is the World. We're going to go and hope for the best amid the insanity. We have our tickets (including and annual pass linked to our bands) and a dining reservation inside the MK. As of Noon today, wait times look pretty bad: Splash is at 45 min, but its' fairly cool for a water ride, Space Mountain is at 95, SDMT at 110, POTC at 60, Peter Pan at 90, Buzz Lightyear at 65 and Thunder Mountain shows closed.
I admire you and your dedication to making your son happy. We don't have children, but if we did and were in your situation I would probably go regardless of crowd level just to see him smile. Hope you all have a safe, wonderful day.

TXDisney

I totally get that people don't like taking their kids out of school for vacation, but as for a WDW vacation I think a trio there is so worth taking them out of school. It maximizes your time plus it's easier to not have your kids miss random says during the year if you tell them they have to suck it up if they want to go to WDW. Anyway lines are horrendous during SB.

DisneyFans4Life

We check in tomorrow morning for 5 nights at AoA. We have ADRs for each night, but those are our only set plans. Ideally I'd like to sit around the pool and relax, but we'll see what our 2 year old daughter wants to do. Heck...if it's super crowded, we just come back to the hotel.

rob0519

Original Poster
Current Times:
Space Mountain: 135
SDMT: 120
POTC: 45
Peter Pan: 110
Winnie the Pooh: 45
Jungle Cruise: 60
HM: 65
Dumbo: 80
Buzz: 80

NelleBelle

Went over Easter break one year--worst crowds I've seen (stupidly we couldn't figure it out until we looked at a calendar--this was before we realized one must PLAN before going to the World :p I've since learned). Hope you have a good time despite the crowds!

Schneewittchen

It's crazy. Flying bat-winged monkeys.
But I'll be there the Monday after Easter to join the crowds.
WDW isn't a once in a lifetime thing for my family, it's a yearly springtime ritual. So the crowds don't really get to us because we've visited so many times.
All I can say is get there at rope drop, get on as many rides as possible before noon, take it easy after that.....

Aimee12497

Yesterday we managed to ride splash mountain 3 times, pirates of the Caribbean twice, thunder mountain twice and seven dwarfs mine train, people mover, tomorrow land speedway, haunted mansion, small world, barnstormer, teacups and space mountain once. We got on every ride with no wait except for one time on thunder mountain (20 min wait) and space mountain (60 min wait). It was planning, luck and fast passes that allowed us to walk right into every other ride. We were at the park from 8:15-2:30 and 6:00-11:30. If you plan it right it shouldn't be too bad. We had one fast pass for each of these; splash mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, seven dwarfs mine train, tomorrow land speedway and barnstormer! The best time to go on the rides is the first 1-1/2 the park is open and during the fireworks.

jrogue

I've been during Easter before. It will definitely be crowded, but not impossible. Just make sure you have a good plan, are well rested, well fed, and hydrated! :)

Seanual757

Been here for almost a week we used our fast passes for the MK and had our DVC sales guy load us up with some extras it has not been bad IMHO we hit the MK on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Today. Long lines sure but plan fast passes to avoid the long lines.

rob0519

Original Poster
Well, since I started this thread I may as well give an update. On Sunday, 3/20 we bought tickets over the phone and had them linked to our existing bands and managed to get 3 fast passes for late Tuesday.

We left Lutz, FL around 10:00 AM on Tuesday morning. At some point I expected traffic to back up on I4, but it didn't. Then I expected traffic to back up at the MK entrance, but it didn't back up there either. I drive directly to an open gate and followed the blue line to the Disabled Parking Area. We got a courtesy wheelchair and were close enough to walk to the ferry.

The ferry left within 10 minutes. Once off the ferry we were though security in less than 5 minutes and through the turnstyle in less than two minutes, putting us in the MK at 11:40. The weather was a perfect 75 degrees and sunny. Once problem was that the website was down and no one could book additional fast passes without using a kiosk. Those lines looked like they were 60 minutes long.

While crowded, the park was still much less crowded than it was on our last visit in July. Wait times were long for the major rides as expected and even at 2:00 Cosmic Ray's was packed, but we did manage to find a table.

So even during the official Spring Break week, we had an enjoyable 12 hours and went on most of the attractions on our wish list for the day. We were also able to get an ADR for dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern. Since they re-opened the Pork Roast has been replaced with Ham and the Flank Steak replaced by Pot Roast. All still good, just another cost saving measure.

We hit Main Street for some shopping starting around 11:30 PM and ended the day with a monorail ride back to the parking lot.

There's a previous posting from Aimie12497 who was in the park on the same day that verifies it was a lucky day to go during Spring Break. Not sure if I'll try going during Easter Week again, but I'm glad we did this time.

Seanual757

We enjoyed our week at Disney we had no issues hit all of the rides we wanted as well spent 1 day at Epcot, 1 Day at DHS, and 3.5 days at the MK.

Already planning Spring Break 2017 just waiting on our 11 month window to open for VGF.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom