Crowds - Is this normal!?

drizgirl

Folks throw our your crowd calenders and just assume red days. People have backed up vacation days, backed up DVC points and kids they want to just forget their troubles for a bit and make happy. Traveling out of the country has been harder, passports taking longer and restrictions to other countries constantly changing. Cruises are not happening or as appealing with restrictions. So yeah Florida is a safe bet, they aren't going tighten rules and people are flocking there.
Yep. And it’s going to be like this for a bit.

disneyhusker

I've been going in January, October, and early December for many years and just got back from 2 week trip. This was the most crowded at the parks we have ever seen. Probably due to rescheduled vacations and unused DVC points. The resorts didn't seem as bad. Maybe this will get better as people catch up on missed vacations.

reptar77

We just got back from our 5 day trip. We stayed at the AK lodge Jambo Villas. The resort really wasn't that crowded but the parks did seem more crowded than usual for Jan. That being said it really wasn't that bad. I do think the bottle neck areas or higher queue wait times were due to somethings not being open.

jpinkc

Its just the World right now. WDW and DL are safe and comforting places in a scary world right now. Nothing feels like it did and might not for a long while. People are seeking comforting and what they consider safe. WDW and DL gives that feeling, (while gouging out your heart thru your checkbook). There is no price people wont pay to get away from it all right now. This was explained to me again recently, even with all the price jumps TWDC, knows this and this is why they are raising prices. I know there are shortages and all, inflation too, but TWDC is being more insidious about this as they can cash in on the comfort and nostalgia that being there brings people, and they are cashing in on it BIGTIME!!

witandwander

Original Poster
We just got back from our 5 day trip. We stayed at the AK lodge Jambo Villas. The resort really wasn't that crowded but the parks did seem more crowded than usual for Jan. That being said it really wasn't that bad. I do think the bottle neck areas or higher queue wait times were due to somethings not being open.
We are staying in Jambo, too! I’m glad the crowd there didn’t feel bad. Hopefully the parade, castle show, and extra characters will help spread some of the crowd out.

Did you stay for the extended hours? We’re the crowds still bad then?

MickeyLuv'r

At least you are enjoying the crisp sunny warmish weather. Two hour waits in 100 degree heat in July is another issue.
Personally, I'll take an afternoon high of 90 degrees (hottest WDW usually ever gets) over 45 and windy-all-day, especially if WDW offers the traditionally longer summer hours they usually offer in summer. (Mind, it's not a given WDW will offer long park hours this summer.) Winter WDW = no water rides, no swimming, and frozen treats like Dole Whips are far less appealing. Packing is also a pain.

C-19 numbers also seem to be trending towards some seasonal patterns of sorts. There appears to be a pattern of spikes in Jan and late July/early August. I wouldn't bet on that pattern to continue, but I am slightly inclined to think we might see a similar pattern this summer.

To answer OP, I think waits are likely being manipulated right now, and Genie+/ILL is...in a crappy state right now. Initially, FP+ was also crappy, but it got MUCH better over time.

Initially, FP+ was limited to JUST 3 FP per day, no ability to get any more than 3, and changing your FP meant standing in a long line. Initially, that was the only way to change them once you were in the park, and many people had not booked FP at all. the kiosk lines were insane. People actually waited LONGER in the kiosk line (30+) for a late PM FP that when they used it only saved them from a 20minute standby. So they waited longer for a FP than they would have waited in the standby line.

Eventually, we were able to book many more than 3 FP, and it got much easier to change FP+, and to look for better return times.

The new Genie+/ILL is super-confusing. I'm not 100% optimistic for the current state of WDW, but I have to imagine G+/ILL will improve over time. Right now it is just terrible. You pay a boatload of $$$, and there's no guarantee of getting much of anything. And this is January when crowds are relatively low, and the weather is really crappy. (That is why Jan was always a low crowd time.)

I also think though that....WDW pricing is so crazy, that has probably skewed people to try January. The cheapest room at BC is currently (Jan) priced at $588/night. Memorial Day weekend that same room jumps to $779/night. That's $200more per night! Meanwhile, at most non-WDW hotels, you can get a large suite for $200/night at a hotel that includes breakfast and parking. That's insane.

Actually, I just looked up rates for May 30, You can get a large suite+park+breakfast for a mere $140/night at a hotel that is just outside the WDE entry arch.

It makes sense to me, to think Disney wants to see just how far they can push the envelope in the new normal. What will people tolerate?

Last edited:

Lilofan

Personally, I'll take an afternoon high of 90 degrees (hottest WDW usually ever gets) over 45 and windy-all-day any day, especially if WDW offers the traditionally longer summer hours they usually offer in summer. Mind, that's not a given.

To answer OP, I think waits are likey being manipulated right now, and Genie+/ILL is...in a crappy state right now. Initially, FP+ was also crappy, but it got MUCH better over time.

Initially, FP+ was limited to JUST 3 FP per day, no ability to get any more than 3, and changing your FP meant standing in a long line. Initially, that was the only way to change them once you were in the park, and many people had not booked FP at all. Eventually, we were able to book many more than 3 FP, and it got much easier to change FP+, and to look for better times.

The new Genie+/ILL is super-confusing. I'm not 100% optimistic for the current state of WDW, but I have to imagine G+/ILL will improve over time. Right now it is just terrible. You pay a boatload of $$$, and there's no guarantee of getting much of anything. And this is January when crowds are relatively low, and the weather is really crappy. (That is why Jan was always a low crowd time.)

I also think though that....WDW pricing is so crazy, that has probably skewed people to try January. The cheapest room at BC is currently (Jan) priced at $588/night. Memorial Day weekend that same room jumps to $779/night. That's $200more per night! Meanwhile, at most non-WDW hotels, you can get a large suite for $200/night at a hotel that includes breakfast and parking. That's insane.

Actually, I just looked up rates for May 30, You can get a large suite+park+breakfast for a mere $140/night at a hotel that is just outside the WDE entry arch.

It makes sense to me, to think Disney wants to see just how far they can push the envelope in the new normal. What will people tolerate?
If you think 90 degrees is the high in WDW, that is incorrect. It could be in April.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I hope you're right since I'm heading there in April. ;)
Oh boy! This April will be like no other April so we can't go by the past. Only time will tell.

Lets say COVID and its variants are gone by then, there will be the pent up demand that may drive up the crowds.

On the other hand, perhaps there will be more variants that may reduce crowds.

I hope I am wrong, but my guess is COVID will be gone, and pent up demand with drive the crowds up and April will be MOBBED.

MickeyLuv'r

If you think 90 degrees is the high in WDW, you are so mistaken. It could be in April.
I have been to WDW in the summer many times, thanks. The average high in June/July/Aug is typically 91 degrees. Facts are facts.

I've also had my share of Jan/Feb visits. I went those months because it was cheap and that's when my schedule allowed. Cold weather was the trade-off. Also in Jan/Feb, the jet stream swings wildly, so there is less consistency. Winter weather predictions are often unreliable, especially more than 2 days out.

Ave temps:

Jan - 49/71
Feb - 52/74
Mar - 56/78
April - 62/82.5
May - 66/88
June/July/Aug - 73/91.3
Sept - 73/89.5
Oct - 66.5/84
Nov - 58/78
Dec - 52/72

witandwander

Original Poster
I have been to WDW in the summer many times, thanks. The average high in June/July/Aug is typically 91 degrees. Facts are facts.

I've also had my share of Jan/Feb visits. I went those months because it was cheap and that's when my schedule allowed. Cold weather was the trade-off. Also in Jan/Feb, the jet stream swings wildly, so there is less consistency. Winter weather predictions are often unreliable, especially more than 2 days out.

Ave temps:

Jan - 49/71
Feb - 52/74
Mar - 56/78
April - 62/82.5
May - 66/88
June/July/Aug - 73/91.3
Sept - 73/89.5
Oct - 66.5/84
Nov - 58/78
Dec - 52/72
Yep! We went in Jan a couple of years ago and it was GORGEOUS the whole week. In the 70s. We swam several times in the heated pools. Then my parents have been there this past week and it’s been cold, windy, and rainy. Unpredictable for sure.

NelleBelle

We’ve done Jan a few times (marathon weekend and following week). Bizzaro weather for sure! One year the start of the marathon had us rushing to Walmart to get throwaway sweats because the start temp was in the 20s but come mid-race it was in the 80s!!!

Trackmaster

I think that the best answer to this is yes, its been like this for years. You're going to have crowds every day of the year, with some exceptions for hurricanes and pandemics (early stages at least). The saving grace is that the crowds hit early and filter out as the day goes on. They key thing to watch is going to be hours. When they were slashing hours, it was tough because the crowds held and more or less stayed until close. As the hours return to normal and are expanded, you can actually do pretty well on production if you prioritize the later hours -- maybe even work on ride production during the fireworks if you're willing to skip them.

As the ski instructor from South Park said, "If you plan on missing rope drop and leaving around 5 PM, you're gonna have a bad time." While I think you're better off closing the park down than rope drop, if you absolutely can't make the last two hours, at least plan on doing rope drop and pushing for a ride or two with more reasonable waits.

Or you can play the system with the Lightning Lane stuff.

I know that midway crowds and congestion is an issue in and of itself, but the midways are wide enough and I don't consider that to be a grave concern. Extreme crowds I think are mostly just a concern for rides with limited capacity.

WishIWasRetired

I think some of the steady stream of people showing up earlier is due to Gene+ and ILL. If your already up a 6:30 getting ready to log into the app most people will just start heading to the parks even if you never planned to rope drop. Under the FP + system you knew when your first FP ride was and woke up accordingly if you weren't doing rope drop. I know if I was a park late the night before and my first FP was not until 10:30 the next morning I would probably not wake up at 6:30 am.

Lilofan

Ave temps:

Jan - 49/71
Feb - 52/74
Mar - 56/78
April - 62/82.5
May - 66/88
June/July/Aug - 73/91.3
Sept - 73/89.5
Oct - 66.5/84
Nov - 58/78
Dec - 52/72
Your words were " 90 degrees hottest WDW usually ever gets ". This opinion is hugely inaccurate in June, July, August.

Tom Morrow

It's true though - Central Florida typically hovers around the low 90's. But the humidity is what makes it feel dreadful.

Regarding the thread topic, I've noticed this increasingly every year. There used to be a stark dropoff point a few days after New Years Day, but now the crowds continue through to February. The only (semi) consistently slow months now are September and February and even then, you still might get random busy days.

Disstevefan1

I think it's time to just give up and plan your vacation weeks that are best for you and no longer in factor in crowd levels as it will always be crowded.

Therefore, since it's always crowded, if you can pick your weeks to vacation, comes down to if you want to wait in queues in the heat or wait in queues when its cooler..

macefamily

Gone are those "mini lines." (no pun intended). We used to religiously schedule one of our trips around the first or second week of December from around 2000-2012. It was perfect. Most lines were less than a half hour; alot were 20 minutes or less. Heck, I remember walking right up to the doors in Haunted Mansion now that's probably an average of 45-60 and they push that queue along !

macefamily

Personally, I'll take an afternoon high of 90 degrees (hottest WDW usually ever gets) over 45 and windy-all-day, especially if WDW offers the traditionally longer summer hours they usually offer in summer. (Mind, it's not a given WDW will offer long park hours this summer.) Winter WDW = no water rides, no swimming, and frozen treats like Dole Whips are far less appealing. Packing is also a pain.

C-19 numbers also seem to be trending towards some seasonal patterns of sorts. There appears to be a pattern of spikes in Jan and late July/early August. I would bet on that pattern to continue, but I am slightly inclined to think we might see a similar pattern this summer.

To answer OP, I think waits are likely being manipulated right now, and Genie+/ILL is...in a crappy state right now. Initially, FP+ was also crappy, but it got MUCH better over time.

Initially, FP+ was limited to JUST 3 FP per day, no ability to get any more than 3, and changing your FP meant standing in a long line. Initially, that was the only way to change them once you were in the park, and many people had not booked FP at all. the kiosk lines were insane. People actually waited LONGER in the kiosk line (30+) for a late PM FP that when they used it only saved them from a 20minute standby. So they waited longer for a FP than they would have waited in the standby line.

Eventually, we were able to book many more than 3 FP, and it got much easier to change FP+, and to look for better return times.

Well put. We get our DVC points and try to plan a trip that suits everyone's schedule. After that, we've stayed at numerous hotels in Kissimmee. Very good ones and reasonably priced for a family. Only thing is there's no rodent in red shorts and yellow shoes walking around the lobby and picking your pocket. 😜

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom