Crowds for the 50th MK Anniversary

DfromATX

Original Poster
I wonder what impact SWGE will have on crowds through out 2021, with 2020 being the first full year in WDW of the land and with many first timers and occasional visitors I have spoke with that are considering a visit over the next year. These people don't even seem to think that WDW 50th is anything special compared to SWGE. I have tried to suggest to them that this may be a better time to go, or even wait until 2022. That and all the predictions of at least a slowing of the global and local economy starting next year. I understand that this can not be predicated easily and this run could go for awhile longer, the chances and signs seems to be growing every moment for a slowdown though.

Anyway, the time around October 21, 2021 will most likely put even a normal Christmas and New Years to shame, The rest of the year may be a little more interesting.

OK, maybe I'm missing something... what's October 21? Isn't the official day of opening the 1st?

danyoung56

I was in WDW for the MK's 25th, and it was wall to wall. They had a big ceremony in front of the castle, and us generic park going schlubs were't allowed anywhere near it. They had video walls set up in FL and TL. I was really ticked - I didn't buy into the massive marketing campaign and plan my visit only to watch things on a big TV. I complained after the fact and got some free passes. Nice, but I really wanted to watch everything live.

DfromATX

Original Poster
I was in WDW for the MK's 25th, and it was wall to wall. They had a big ceremony in front of the castle, and us generic park going schlubs were't allowed anywhere near it. They had video walls set up in FL and TL. I was really ticked - I didn't buy into the massive marketing campaign and plan my visit only to watch things on a big TV. I complained after the fact and got some free passes. Nice, but I really wanted to watch everything live.

I guess it'll be a bigger deal than I thought.

DfromATX

Original Poster
Do you mean literally THAT DAY, or more generally "the one to two year period that'll be marketed as the 50th anniversary"?

Well I thought it would be kind of special to be in MK on that day... but I'm seeing I am not the only one with that idea lol. I also have a son that will be starting college that year (and yes, that's more important) so we might have to wait until summer like we usually do... unfortunately. I just wish for once we could go when school's in. Adding... definitely sometime in 2021 though.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Most people who go for the 50th will do so in 2021, right? Or is 2022 going to also see a big bump in crowds?
Neither one is going to see a particular increase in crowds. The crowd surges everyone has talked about in this thread are referring to the specific day of the fiftieth, i.e. October 1, 2021.

The only cause of increases outside of that will be the new attractions that are coming on board rather than the anniversary itself.

LeighM

I was at WDW on October 1st for their 45th anniversary. I completely avoided the parks that day, especially MK. They didn't have any event planned just special pins but it was still extremely crowded. I'm going to go back in 2021 for their 50th (and my 40th bday!) but I'm avoiding the fall. I would rather go in the heat and humidity of June rather than go around October 1st.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Another view of the hub from the 40th

View attachment 353840
The scariest I've ever been there for was the 24 hour event that kicked off "Monstrous Summer" in 2013. Not nearly as many total bodies, but terrifying traffic patterns.

MSEP was at 9:00 with Wishes at 10:00, while IllumiNations and Fantasmic were both at 9:00 in the other parks. You had a huge number of people trying to leave Magic Kingdom while others swarmed in from Epcot and Hollywood Studios, creating a complete disaster on Main Street. I watched a pretty violent shoving match between two middle aged women in front of Casey's. Adult language was used by all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom