Crowds February 8th - 12th 2012

Texansgirl

Crowds January 25-29 and Brazilion tour groups

Hi everyone, we are wanting to take my nephew (13) to WDW next month from Feb 8-12. We originally booked Feb 29-March 4th but now want to avoid that time due to the disney24 promotion.

We are trying to go at a time when crowds will be low. Our last visit was December 2009 and it was horrible. We waited for 2-3 hrs to get on main attractions.

I have researched that week and the only thing I can find that is happening is a cheerleader competition on Sat & Sun Feb 11-12. Does anyone know how these competitions affect the crowds at the parks? I read somewhere that one of the competitions takes place in Hollywood studios, and since we planned to go to Hollywood studios on that Saturday Im wondering if we should visit Hollywood studios on a different day.

We plan on going to Universal and IOA on Thursday Feb 9. Magic Kingdom and Epcot Feb 10, Hollywood studios feb 11, and AK Feb 12.

Any help will be appreciated!!

CatsMeow

We were only at WDW in February once, about 5 years ago. We visited during the first week. The crowds were very light. DHS was packed due to some type of competition (maybe it was cheerleading, but I don't remember for sure). We saw what we wanted to see and left instead of lingering. The other parks were fine. The only day the MK saw appreciable crowds was the Monday after the Super Bowl, which was in Florida that year. It wasn't horrendous, but it was busier than we had expected. The downside is the park hours are shorter, but you can see more anyway with the decreased crowds, so it evens out.

The weather was fine (compared to what it was back home in PA); high 60's/low 70's. Some folks were using the pool, but I thought it was too chilly. For park touring, it was terrific. And of course, the weather is always a big variable. It can be much colder, so it's best to keep your eye on it so you can pack accordingly.

Upvote 0

britlightyear

We always go last week of Jan./first week of Feb. Our trip this year is Feb. 1-12 and the crowds are always very low. It is our favorite time to visit and actually we will be at UO/IOA on Feb. 9th also :) Just be sure to bring a jacket because it does get chilly at night. Also, a warning, Mardi Gras starts that following week so WDW might be a little busier on Saturday and Sunday.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We are going Feb. 5th thru 17th. We''ve been there in January and February many times. Crowds are low. We've been at HS when the cheerleading competition was going on and found no difference in park attendance. The only time we saw the cheerleaders was when we entered the parking lot in the morning and they were out there practicing. It can be very chilly. Just come prepared with sweatshirts and gloves.

Upvote 0

Texansgirl

Original Poster
Thanks for all your responses. I called today to move our dates to Feb 8 and
All the value resorts are booked. I lost my job so we really have to stay at a value resort
I am flying southwest so I can change my flights without a penalty. The have January 25-29 available at POP century and was wondering if anyone has went to wdw the last week of January? Started reading about the Brazilian tour groups and for really worried since I am taking my elderly mother and we want to do all the parks in such a short period of time.

Upvote 0

209vaughn

Our 12 member trip is going 18-25.. It's right between the slow and busy season. I'm from the west coast and am used to the huge croweds of DisneyLand. I dont mind a brisk crowd b/c we have 6 full days of DWorld time. But I can sympithize with someone who only has 4 or 5 days might feel pressured by the large croweds.

Upvote 0

DonChi

We went first week of Feb on 2010, low attendance and there was a cheerleader competition also. The only problem was that DHS was crowded on friday by them and they can get a little loud.

We will be there from the 6th to he 14 of these February. Good to know there's going to be a cheerleader competition to avoid DHS on friday.

Have a great trip.

Upvote 0
My daughter and I have gone during that week several times and never had a problem with crowds at all. Other than being a bit chilly, it's perfect.:wave:

All the value resorts are booked. I lost my job so we really have to stay at a value resort
I am flying southwest so I can change my flights without a penalty. The have January 25-29 available at POP century and was wondering if anyone has went to wdw the last week of January? Started reading about the Brazilian tour groups and for really worried since I am taking my elderly mother and we want to do all the parks in such a short period of time.

Upvote 0

jeffk410

That week should be pretty light on the crowds. However the following week is the northeast vacation week along with Mardi Gras. I am unsure if itll affect the later days in your trip, but hope you enjoy it reguardless!

Upvote 0

lunchbox1175

Its a shame that you moved your original trip, the d24 event is going to be awesome, and honestly, the crowd level isn't going to be much, its on a wednesday, so it really won't slam the park that much. Having said that, the Cheerleaders shouldn't be there anymore, they should be at the ESPN WWof Sports complex for their competition, they may have shows there, but it shouldn't be bad. I have stayed at a few of the Value resorts and I feel POP is the worst. It is the largest resort they have, and the bus situation coming back from the MK is terrible. The room is ok, and actually, they have the best food court of the values, but its hard to get in there in the morning if you are on any kind of time schedule. Hope you have a great trip whatever you decide.

Upvote 0

Texansgirl

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! We are going Jan 24-28th and booked Pop for $490.00 total (Pop was full every week after this week into March). Southwest also has a great sale right now, we purchased our flight to Orlando for $89 from Houston. So we feel like we got a great deal! FYI Southwests sale lasts through tomorrow and I saw many great deals for flights through May 16th.

Also, I believe having an extra weekday will help u with visiting 6 parks in 3 full days. Although touring plans has Friday as a "4."

We will make sure to bring our coats and gloves. Getting excited!

Upvote 0

janbri

jan

hi just wondering as you have been jan -feb we are coming from uk end jan through to beginning of feb can u tell us about weather what to pack thank you

Upvote 0

britlightyear

hi just wondering as you have been jan -feb we are coming from uk end jan through to beginning of feb can u tell us about weather what to pack thank you

We have always gone end of Jan/beginning of Feb. and the weather is VERY different year to year. Last year it was chilly most days(55 degrees or so) but then the last two days were like 75/80. Also several years ago it got up to 85 almost 90 a couple days and then the very next year was 45-50 all week.
My suggestion is to bring layers. T-shirts and shorts but also bring long pants and hoodies/jackets just in case. Most of the time we wear shorts and t-shirts just fine during the day but then it would get cold enough at night for hats and gloves.
I know that might not help you too much but I always pack way too much anyways :lol:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom